HDS EDC.... worth it?

JohnnyLightOn

Newly Enlightened
It won't go back up because once the Basic 42's sell out, no more will be made. They'll be replaced by new models. That's the reason why they're on sale - it's a close-out.

If you have $99 and can find an EDC Basic 42 XRGT anywhere, definitely buy it! I love mine. It would be nice to have the SOS mode of the Ultimate model, but otherwise I find the four pre-set light levels absolutely perfect, the beam color is also perfect (I have the GT, guaranteed tint model), and build quality is as good as any.

Edited to add: BatteryStation.com still has the B42XRGT in stock, for $99 including 10 of their CR123a batteries. Go for it - you won't regret it. :rock:

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except for the closeout prices on the B42s (an excellent deal for a light of this caliber), I think it's worth it to get an Ultimate instead of a Basic. The B60 or B60LE is $160, the U60 is $170. The extra programming of the Ultimate makes all the difference for me. For example, on mine, I have it set up with Simple Momentary on, and Force Setting off. Turing Force Setting off means the light turns on at whatever level you last used when you turned it off. This way, you can turn it off at a lower setting at night, and when you turn it on, it'll still be at that low setting (so you won't blind yourself if you need it in the middle of the night). And you don't have to worry about what your Primary level is set at. Or, if you want full brightness to turn on, it's just that easy. No reprogramming of levels is necessary.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS's are the best light you can buy for an EDC...

between having heat sensing, perfect regulation, henry is the man @ customer service... you just can't beat them...

having 4 presets is about the best way to have a light... the ramp up ramp down method isn't as pratical because you can't 'know' the runtime...

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
Depends on one's point of view.

Solidly built.

Perfectly flat regulation.

Long(ish) runtime (depending on brightness setting).

Easily selectable multiple brightness levels.

But! I don't EDC it because it is just a tad too big and heavy (for me). This is the only downside of these lights.

Otherwise VERY impressive performing lights!! :twothumbs

JohnnyLightOn

Newly Enlightened
I agree with meeshu about the size of the EDC. It's not the light you want to carry in your pants pocket every day. But if you have another way to carry it, or you're going camping or doing another outdoor activity, then it's not very big at all. It's very small for its power. It's nothing in a jacket pocket or in a sheath, etc. But a smaller light would be better for a pants pocket.

For what Planterz said about the Ultimate model having many more useful features, I agree and disagree. The Basic model has almost every bit of the functionality of the Ultimate, just with fewer bells and whistles. If you were going to use this at night, very regularly, multiple times each night after you developed your night vision, then I absolutely agree that the Ultimate is worth the extra $$$. With the Basic, if you turn it on after you've developed your night vision, you have to hold it against your hand or leg until you've pushed the button a double-click or a triple-click to set the light to a lower level. With the Ultimate, you can turn it on and off at will and the initial brightness setting will never be too bright. But if you won't use a specific feature of the Ultimate like this very often, there's no reason not to buy the Basic. It still has the four levels of light and the same build quality.

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
Don't take any offence by my question as none is intended, but what type of pants do you both wear that would make the HDS EDC seem bulky? It's smaller than my E1L and is tiny compared to my old EDC, the U2.

Granted my daily carry rotates around one of my lights and between my SERE, Sebbie, or Leek so I'm used to carrying a bunch, but I still can't see how the HDS EDC can be considered as being too big or bulky for comfortable pocket carry :huh2:

Stumpy

Newly Enlightened
I have carried my U60XRGT on a belt sheath at work since it arrived in the mail and it's great.I use 3 of the 4 brightness settings at work regularly.If you are using your EDC lots it is really hard to beat the option of using rechargeable batteries.Happy hunting.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on a person's needs, the EDC series may be much more light than necessary. In that case, it would be bigger than necessary too.

I am so used to carrying heavy metal objects around all day, that the EDC in my pants pocket doesn't really phase me. And I carry it to identify "problems" that I may have to deal with. Maximum throw and output are high priorities. Otherwise, I'd carry a Photon.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
As they say...buy them both!
PLEASE...the longer I see "in stock" the more difficult it is to resist. ;)

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
Spydie said:
Don't take any offence by my question as none is intended, but what type of pants do you both wear that would make the HDS EDC seem bulky? It's smaller than my E1L and is tiny compared to my old EDC, the U2.

Granted my daily carry rotates around one of my lights and between my SERE, Sebbie, or Leek so I'm used to carrying a bunch, but I still can't see how the HDS EDC can be considered as being too big or bulky for comfortable pocket carry :huh2:

It's a personal thing. What suits one, may not suit another.

I don't like carrying around bulky and heavy(ish) objects (that includes keys, coins etc.). Even though pants (& jacket) pockets can easily accomodate keys, coins, lights etc., it is the bulk and/or weight which I find to be uncomfortable. I've found the HDS to be just a bit too bulky and heavy to EDC (in pockets) for my comfort.

However, if I find a suitable holster (something like that for carrying cell phones) to attach to my pants belt for carrying the HDS, THEN EDC'g the HDS light will become more comfortable and convenient.

As a contrast, the new Arc AAA lights are a good size and weight to carry in the pockets, and are not particularly uncomfortable.

Regardless of size and weight of lights, I don't usually EDC any light, because I don't need to.

Last edited:

aceo07

Enlightened
I bought the HDS U60, which I only make 'good use' of during hiking/camping, and I don't regret it one bit.

Being that it can use rechargeables makes it even more fun and useful.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS EDC lights are a good value. especially if they are on sale for under $100.00.
They are high quality and made in the USA. That simple fact alone should be enough.
Personally I like the basic. If you are a new flashlight freak I say but the ultimate. If you don't like it you will be able to sell it off right here on the CPF BST forums. Has makes a good product.
There was some mention of tint. Tint really only makes a difference when you are shining more than one light on a white wall. If used for any other purpose all but the worst tints will look and work fine. HDS seems to do some presorting of their emitters. I have never heard of anybody being to terribly unhappy with a HDS EDC series flashlight's tint.
Peak flashlights cannot be compared to the HDS lights. The Peak lights are very nice but do not have the features that the HDS has. Yes the HDS lights cost more. You also get more. Heck the basic and ultimate are exactly the same flashlight, except for a firmware change. That firmware costs $$ to write. No wonder they cost more.
Yaesumofo

JohnnyLightOn

Newly Enlightened
meeshu said:
Regardless of size and weight of lights, I don't usually EDC any light, because I don't need to.

Same here, with the exception of a Photon on my keyring. I would carry something in my pocket up to the size of a 1 AA light, but definitely not the HDS EDC, as that's substantially larger (i.e. thicker). But I have no problem at all with the EDC in a jacket pocket.

pmsar35

Newly Enlightened
I bought a B42 XRGT at the closeout price of $99 when I missed out on the last of the Fire~Fly III's. I wanted a multi-level light that I could use in SAR ops that was small enough to be a personal/backup light to the PT Surge and SureFire M2 that I also carry.

Reading maps, a compass or GPS, or checking gauges on a compressor or generator is something done better with a lower level of light. The glare/reflection from the Surge or M2 guarantees temporary night blindness! So yes, the HDS EDC is worth it to me, and the 4 levels of the Basic model are perfect.

Although it is a little big, it fits in the coin pocket of my jeans. When I receive my Fire~Fly III Ti, I'll carry that as my EDC but the B42 XRGT will remain in my radio radio harness with a spare battery. Because of the unpredictable nature of SAR callouts, I'll replace the RCR123 that I'm currently using with a primary cell for excellent shelf life.

carpdiem

Newly Enlightened
About two and a half weeks ago I missed out on the FF3 ordering, and then I found out that McGizmo was moving to Maui. Those two lights were my number one and number two choices. I really wanted something that ran single cell, good regulation, and multiple levels (with the option of BRIGHT). I soon came across the HDS, and began considering their U60 XRGT. I posted a thread about it in general, and, thanks to no small part by Planterz :laughing:, I had one ordered before the night was up (after quite a bit of correspondence).

Now I've had mine for a while, and used it everyday (as a note, the following mini-review is given in comparison to the McLux III-PD, the only other flashlight I've handled that is on the same level as my HDS).

Before my HDS U60XRGT arrived, I merely hoped for something that could match the McLux III-PD that I had handled. Actually, I think I was setting myself up for a bit of a disappointment (oh, maybe the action won't be as smooth... etc...). I thought the McLux was as close to perfect as I'd ever see.

Oops.

Don't get me wrong, as the McLux is an excellent light, but I won't be ordering one, even when McGizmo completes his move. Neither will I be ordering an FF3. My HDS sits on my pocket with the clip, and I never even notice it's there until I need it. Now, I'm a big guy, and I'm used to carrying a fair bit (Victorinox multitool, Spyderco, etc), so that may contribute to the ease of carry for me, but regardless of why, it's excellent. It fits in my hand better than the McLux did. I also have big hands, and the wider HDS is perfect. The piston switch on the McLux felt a bit stiff when I used it, to the point where depressing it, especially on maximum, for any real length of time felt like a strain. The button on the HDS is perfect. Even the UI which I thought might be a bit overcomplicated is really excellent. You get used to it almost immediately if you just play around with the light for a little bit.

In short, I love the little thing. Heck, just today I was unraveling my way through bunches of cables 8ft above my head, and with all the shadows (and black cables -_-) I couldn't tell what went where. Thirty seconds of work with the HDS made sense of it all. And that happened with the apparatus nearly in direct sunlight!

Yeah, I'll be keeping this for quite some time to come.

Dreamer

Newly Enlightened
Pilotmx5,

Go get the EDC Basic before they ran out of stock(good deal at $100). I got my U60XR and I'm very happy with it. It's my first "high-end" flashlight and it's worth it. :)

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
ViReN said:
I would differ from most of the options expressed. Personally, I would think of buying HDS only if I know what exact bin, tint and Vf the LED is there in the Light. For me, Its $100 Light... way too expensive, to allow Luxeon Lottery.

If you are looking for a Simple, sweet and reliable EDC, I would suggest Peak Pacific with CR2 (small and bright) and I know it contains T Bin LED with J Vf , it's around $50 + Body

EDIT: Also, just would like to warn you that there have been some observations of some QC Related Issues with the 'discounted' HDS EDC's. If you want to buy, buy the non 'discounted' version, I would recomend EDC Ultimate XRGT 60 (that's the best bet) as of now it should put you down by :) $210. but it's still better of the Luxeon Lottery ;)

ViReN,

Do you own an HDS? From your posts, it doesn't seem like you do yet you seem to have many negative things to say about the light. Ironically, I believe I've never heard of any EDC owners complain about anything maybe except for the anodizing and how unattractive it looks.

Would you care to enlighten us on the QC related issues you refer to?

It seems in every HDS thread you've responded to, you've tried to discourage people from buying the light based on nothing but your own conjecture, unfounded speculation, and baseless extrapolations that belittle every aspect about the light. I don't even know where you come up with your assumptions about UXOG leds and such. Anybody in his right mind would know they are not available in the quantities that HDS uses assuming they are even available to begin with and yet you persist that your information must be true. You seem to enjoy posting a lot of fluff with no substance. Aren't you the one who started the project of the $10 Arc AAA clone or something like that. It seems to have gone up in smoke like most of your posts.

I suggest you reserve your expert critique until such time that you actually get to handle one.

Last edited:

GregWormald

Enlightened
I bought one of the B42XRGT's on sale from Battery world and it is certianly worth it to me. The switch is light to press, the power levels are well-chosen, it is quite small (not the smallest but neither is my mobile phone--I want both to be easy to hold as well as small), and on maximum it is bright enough for me.
It's hanging around my neck right now and safely out of the way in a shirt pocket.
Greg

lightplay22

Enlightened
Got to get to the post office for my new b42xrgt. The problem is now I will want to carry it and my old b42gt! How will I ever be able to pick just one to carry at a time??? Well, I do have 4 pockets LOL.

This has to be one of the most usefull, functional, and don't want to be without lights ever made.

Simply love it. Very much "worth it" to me.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a HDS 60XTGT and a FF III and prefer the FF III over the HDS. A lot depends on how you're going to use the light but in my case I prefer smaller, brighter, and more features. Quality appears to be the same. The advantage that the HDS has is that it thermal regulated and can handle maximum brightness indefinitely. The FF III can only run on maximum brightness for a minute or so and there is no safety cutoff so it's possible to damage the LED if you're not careful. For me maximum brightness for an extended period is not normally required and the highest regulated setting on the FF III is more light then I normally need. I also like a light that I can place in my front pocket and forget that it's there; I'm far more likely to have it when I need it.

Latest posts