HELP! 10 SSC P7 LEDs in offroad racing light

LEDobsession

Enlightened
I just ordered the 8 P7's. Now comes the long wait on the DX free shipping. If only they had the AMC7135 boards in stock I'd be set.

Norm

Retired Administrator

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cancel your DX order and buy here ●=●=● Seoul P7 Close-Out Sale -- $14-$16 Each!! ●=●=● - CPFMarketPlace
Far more reliable seller both with delivery time and quality. :thumbsup:
You should have no problem cancelling your DX order, they may be a little slow to do the refund.
Norm

A big +1 to that. Better bin, guaranteed tint, guaranteed to have the right Vf to use with the AMC boards, AND cheaper from a respected seller.

Plus I think DX is still in their two weeks off for Chinese New Year, so you will have an extra long window to cancel your order.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Dang. I wish I would have known about the CPF sale before hand. I cancelled the order from DX and it said my refund won't be for 2 weeks! :thumbsdow Now Im without money and the knowledge that LEDs are waiting for me somewhere. I''ll be royally pissed off if the sale on CPF runs out before I get my money back to take advantage of it. Oh well. I should have asked first, I guess.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang. I wish I would have known about the CPF sale before hand. I cancelled the order from DX and it said my refund won't be for 2 weeks! :thumbsdow Now Im without money and the knowledge that LEDs are waiting for me somewhere. I''ll be royally pissed off if the sale on CPF runs out before I get my money back to take advantage of it. Oh well. I should have asked first, I guess.

Email Photonfanatic. I bet he'll set a few aside for you.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Yeah, I figured that since photonfanatic didnt have any stars, I'd just get some of that Arctic Alumina Thermal compound, so thats on its way too. I also got some aluminum for the base/heatsink today at work so all I need is those dang AMC7135 boards that will be on backorder forever. The new ETA date for them is on the 14th. Hopefully thats accurate and I can order some.

Stage X Tuning

Newly Enlightened
do a search on digikey for EVAL BOARD using the L6730 IC.

up too 30A at 3.3Vout preset at 20A at 3.3V
4.5V-14Vin
x.xVout can be set
90% efficiency at 12Vin and 3.3Vout

only $27

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I figured that since photonfanatic didnt have any stars, I'd just get some of that Arctic Alumina Thermal compound, so thats on its way too. I also got some aluminum for the base/heatsink today at work so all I need is those dang AMC7135 boards that will be on backorder forever. The new ETA date for them is on the 14th. Hopefully thats accurate and I can order some.

Compound or epoxy? You need epoxy for this.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
do a search on digikey for EVAL BOARD using the L6730 IC.

up too 30A at 3.3Vout preset at 20A at 3.3V
4.5V-14Vin
x.xVout can be set
90% efficiency at 12Vin and 3.3Vout

only $27

That doesnt sound too bad. I'm not sure if my bike will run over 14v at idle or a higher RPM and I dont know about the 20A either. The P7 is supposed to be run at 3.5v to 3.7 so I dont know how that would work. Then again the AMC7135 board says "- Suitable for Lumiled, and Luxeon K2 emitters (Cree XR-E, SSC ZPower not recommended as output current is dangerously high for those emitters) Recommended input voltage range: 3.6V~4.5V (such as 1x rechargeable lithium battery, 2xAA, 2xAAA, 3xAA, and 3xAA batteries)." So, I dont know what to do for sure. Im no electrical genius with this stuff.

And am I going to need more than 1 Eval Board? Digikey says (or looks to me) that it comes in a standard package of 25. Whats my best option here?

Compound or epoxy? You need epoxy for this.

Um I think its an epoxy. Its called Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive and its referred to as epoxy on that P7 Closeout Thread on CPF MP so hopefully its an epoxy. If not I have a while to get some because I still gotta get the drivers. Got any opinion on the eval boards?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
That doesnt sound too bad. I'm not sure if my bike will run over 14v at idle or a higher RPM and I dont know about the 20A either. The P7 is supposed to be run at 3.5v to 3.7 so I dont know how that would work. Then again the AMC7135 board says "- Suitable for Lumiled, and Luxeon K2 emitters (Cree XR-E, SSC ZPower not recommended as output current is dangerously high for those emitters) Recommended input voltage range: 3.6V~4.5V (such as 1x rechargeable lithium battery, 2xAA, 2xAAA, 3xAA, and 3xAA batteries)." So, I dont know what to do for sure. Im no electrical genius with this stuff.

And am I going to need more than 1 Eval Board? Digikey says (or looks to me) that it comes in a standard package of 25. Whats my best option here?

Um I think its an epoxy. Its called Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive and its referred to as epoxy on that P7 Closeout Thread on CPF MP so hopefully its an epoxy. If not I have a while to get some because I still gotta get the drivers. Got any opinion on the eval boards?

If it's sold as adhesive then it's the right stuff. The non-epoxy compound has no adhesive properties whatsoever.

A problem with the IC on the eval board is that it will see non-transient voltages above its max.

The P7s and AMC boards should probably also get some transient voltage protection, but they can handle 17V without damage.

I think that eval board and IC would only supply one LED.

Stage X Tuning

Newly Enlightened

Digi-Key Part Number: 497-5501-ND is the one i bought

I have changed the Vout from 2.0V all the way to 3.8V buy changing the value of one of the resistors and running only one LED. The IC has a Max rating of 18V, but i have not tested over the 14V, as i need to do more testing with the LEDs be for the take it to 18V since i only bought one board.

You would wire them in parallel. I am testing the board for Car/Motorcycle use using SSC P4 white and red LEDs as well as SSC P7 LEDs.

Hope this helps a little more :D

LEDobsession

Enlightened
The goods came! Photonfanatic is great to buy from! I got my refund and sent the order on Wednesday and the LEDs were in the mail today. My adhesive looks to be a 2 part epoxy.

DSC_0970.jpg

DSC_0969.jpg

LEDobsession

Enlightened
subscribed. looks really cool.. waiting to see more!!

Thanks. I hope it turns out like I want it to. I really want to finish it up but I just need a driver and then I will cut out the rest of the parts for the complete light.

Hey Luke, what do you think of this PowerLine Slim Constant Current Power Supply I found? I'm thinkin it looks pretty good at a max 30v input and a solid 2800mA output. But hey, I could be wrong. And, I dont know anything about the drop voltage being 1 volt but the input short circuit protection and output short circuit protection sounds good.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I hope it turns out like I want it to. I really want to finish it up but I just need a driver and then I will cut out the rest of the parts for the complete light.

Hey Luke, what do you think of this PowerLine Slim Constant Current Power Supply I found? I'm thinkin it looks pretty good at a max 30v input and a solid 2800mA output. But hey, I could be wrong. And, I dont know anything about the drop voltage being 1 volt but the input short circuit protection and output short circuit protection sounds good.

It wants the input voltage to be between 1V and 2V above the LED voltage, and I don't know if that will happen. Plus it will need some transient voltage protection.