HELP! 10 SSC P7 LEDs in offroad racing light

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am a machinist and today I made a reflector cup set up that im hoping will double as some of my heatsinking for the light. I will also be building the rest of the casing and electrical stuff once i can figure out what to drive 8 P7s on a 10-14 volt dc system for my Honda TRX450r (kickstart version).

So you are going to power 120 watts of LEDs from your quad? Do you have a 15+ amp alternator installed??

LEDobsession

Enlightened
So you are going to power 120 watts of LEDs from your quad? Do you have a 15+ amp alternator installed??

:faint: Hmmm. I was planning to but I hadnt thought of running 10ish amps on it. I dont have any sort of higher amp output on it. I was just hoping to run it off the magneto whereas my bike is kick start but I wouldnt be running the stock headlight anymore as my light bar would put out a lot more light. Ill have to see what the light pulls for watts and amps when its finished. Any suggestions for running it on my bike still?

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
:faint: Hmmm. I was planning to but I hadnt thought of running 10ish amps on it. I dont have any sort of higher amp output on it. I was just hoping to run it off the magneto whereas my bike is kick start but I wouldnt be running the stock headlight anymore as my light bar would put out a lot more light. Ill have to see what the light pulls for watts and amps when its finished. Any suggestions for running it on my bike still?

It may not be a problem but the total power situation should be considered before getting too far here. You can run the LEDs at lower power, but the drivers may end up being different depending on how it works out. Also the driver efficiency will become important if there is a power limitation.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
It may not be a problem but the total power situation should be considered before getting too far here. You can run the LEDs at lower power, but the drivers may end up being different depending on how it works out. Also the driver efficiency will become important if there is a power limitation.

Ill keep that in mind. I wont be completely devastated if it wont work. I still have my truck I can put it on but my main purpose for the light was to use on my quad and hopefully it will still work. This light would be so cool to have on at night at the dunes.

I put in an order for the 10-pack of AMC7135 boards. They showed that they will ship on the 24th so hopefully that doesnt turn into another backorder date.

I changed my design of my heatsink base so that the p7s sit on raised bosses kind of like the heatsinks shown on the P7 Maglight Mod Thread because my original design had the PCB heatsinks in mind when I drew it up. I almost got to run the part on one of the CNC mills at school yesterday but I didnt have time to cut it after I set up the offsets and touched off tools. :(

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Heres the progress:

DSC_1034.jpg

DSC_1048.jpg

DSC_1042.jpg

DSC_1043.jpg

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! That's so cool. I wish we still had a garage, so I could tinker around with this kind of stuff.
**EDIT** I didn't see whether or not you said this, but are going to put any optics in front of those LED's? Or is this light going to be a floodlight? If you were looking for a mix of flood and throw, it would seem logical to me that you would leave the outermost 2 LED's on each side w/o an optic, and optics on the 4 "inside" LED's. You would still have flood, from the outermost LED's, but you could mix and match different types of optics until you were satisfied with the beam pattern.

Last edited:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
WOW! That's so cool. I wish we still had a garage, so I could tinker around with this kind of stuff.
**EDIT** I didn't see whether or not you said this, but are going to put any optics in front of those LED's? Or is this light going to be a floodlight? If you were looking for a mix of flood and throw, it would seem logical to me that you would leave the outermost 2 LED's on each side w/o an optic, and optics on the 4 "inside" LED's. You would still have flood, from the outermost LED's, but you could mix and match different types of optics until you were satisfied with the beam pattern.

Ive been looking at some optics on DX and havent decided if I really want some because I want to flood the crap out of stuff but I still might end up with 4 inners for a little bit more throw. I havent been able to run them at all with out any drivers so I have no idea what my beam pattern will look like as a whole (I did test the reflector with one p7 from my flashlight to get an idea). Id love to test them all out but I dont have anything to run them with. :(

I also thought of another idea to take the heatsink base and surface a large radius on the back to help with weight. I know when I get the fins EDM/milled out, it will help with that issue as well but it is quite heavy right now. I dont really want to lose any cooling power off the surface area of the fins either. I have a few things to work out (gasket for water tight seal, faceplate, etc.) but its coming along good.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
LukeA? Anyone?:poke:

AMC drivers. Where to wire on the board is here. (350mA version shown, but it's the same for all of them)

How to wire the board to run 4 LEDs in series is here (3 are shown, you should add the 4th P7 where there are two.) You wire the one by itself normally but add the others in series before the board. If you're wary about wiring LEDs directly to the battery, it's okay because they're in series and the AMC chips limit the current.

The boards you have are 1400mA, right? Then for each circuit you need to put two boards in parallel. Doing that is as simple as making three solder joints between the boards: the first straight from the center via of one board to the other, the second connecting the vias on the board's rim to each other, and the third going from the negative contact on the top of one board around to the negative contact on the other board.

You want to make two of those circuits.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
How to wire the board to run 4 LEDs in series is here (3 are shown, you should add the 4th P7 where there are two.) You wire the one by itself normally but add the others in series before the board.
So in that sense, I need to have one on the driver out and 3 on the driver in, right? And then repeat that setup in parallel with another circuit?

If you're wary about wiring LEDs directly to the battery, it's okay because they're in series and the AMC chips limit the current.
Cool. I also plan on using an inline fuse and relay in my wiring. What guage wire would you recommend for this stuff? The drivers came with some really tiny stuff.

The boards you have are 1400mA, right?
Yes. There are four AMC chips.

I might just draw it up the way I understand it and you can verify it for me. :grin2:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
It sounds like I will want 10-12 g for it, which I kinda figured on 10, but how about internally - in between the LEDs and drivers?

Here it is almost finished. I need to EDM my fins next week as well as make my mounting tabs for the sides, weld them on, and then, an HA3 anodize finish with something like my initials engraved into the top of the light through the anodizing. :twothumbs

Put together:
DSC_1236.jpg

Components:
DSC_1235.jpg

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like I will want 10-12 g for it, which I kinda figured on 10, but how about internally - in between the LEDs and drivers?

Here it is almost finished. I need to EDM my fins next week as well as make my mounting tabs for the sides, weld them on, and then, an HA3 anodize finish with something like my initials engraved into the top of the light through the anodizing. :twothumbs

Looks awesome!

Internally you want really anything larger in diameter than 24ga. 18ga is huge overkill, but I think that's what I'd use.