Help me design a knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I could go for something not too "exotic" in style, a nice all around, practical blade shape that would appeal to everyone? Kydex sheath would be great as well!

I like the size you're talking about too. It would be nice to hold the cost down so it would be more affordable to members.

I'm just not one for all of these science fiction designs that are available. I guess they're meant more for collectors. I like users, but I'm just one member here.

Definitely ask for permission to use "CPF", though the knife doesn't have to be engraved. :thinking:

sed6

Enlightened
I think it's a fine idea. I'd like to see a folder, with a clip for EDC. Priced around $50-75.

Groundhog66

Banned
I think it's a fine idea. I'd like to see a folder, with a clip for EDC. Priced around $50-75.

You won't find a maker to do a folder in that price range, not even close.

As far as using the CPF name, it wouldn't have to be included if that becomes a problem. I am just trying to get a little project done with our new friends on the forum, could be as few a half dozen. I figured as long as we are going to have a Knifemakers Forum, we may as well try and do something with it.....:thinking:....Besides, it's not looking like anyone is going to volunteer their time and skills anyway.

I do want to make it clear that I am not looking for anyone to donate time or materials for this, I plan to pay full asking price as deemed by the maker.

Tim

Groundhog66

Banned
If anyone wants to help out in the actual design, please PM me so we can brainstorm. So far "The Hog" will may the following....

Necker?
Kydex
6" OA
Part Serrated?
Handle - Semi-Exotic natural material or Paracord Wrap? I like the look of Hand Grooved G10, perhaps Black?
Blade - Not a fan of TAnto for users, so Drop Point or Recurve

I am thinking if it might be deemed "The Hog", shouldn't it have a somewhat Beefy blade?

Let's see what we can come up with.

Tim

Last edited:

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
Mr. Tichbourne,

Perhaps scale down your "Companion" design, ditch the clip point in favor of a drop point, smooth out the finger grooves, and apply some more utilitarian (lower costs :D) scales. That might be a good jumping off place for the CPF blade.

Just a suggestion. I like that blade a lot.

Groundhog66

Banned
I think something in the relm of his "Small Skinner" could pass as "The Hog" with a design like that. Put some nice grippy hand grooved G10 scales, perhaps some Black and Silver Mosaic pins. Scales like Black SAR Hornet Recurve, but with a Hand satin blade.

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
Thanks for the offer of help guys, the fun part is about to begin....designing a knife by committee is always good for a chuckle or two if you are not on that committee.

I am officially declaring myself neutral and am going to enjoy the action from the sidelines until a drawing appears.

George

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a worthy project.
I'd be willing to toss in some ideas. Having a trit in the handle somewhere would definitely be a CPF-like thing to do.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
If we're voting (?)...I'm putting in for a plain edge (no serration), drop point, scales to keep it affordable - but nice looking? How hard is carbon fiber to work with or the epoxied canvas scales are pretty durable, eh?

Ok keep in mind, I really don't know much of anything about knives!! :ohgeez: But a design with universal applications would be appreciated & probably sell better as well?

Test the waters with this "first" one, then the specialized designs could be considered later?

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try to make a drawing tomorrow. I'd love to help make a CPF knife.

Did you ask Sasha if it can be a CPF knife yet?

schiesz

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, here is my sketch. I sharpened up the lines with paint, but this is basically what I see for a nice EDC fixed blade.

3" cutting edge, full tang, large choil, 3 finger handle, with full hand possible using choil. I like the steel coming out in front and behind the handle to give a better grip, but it might be better to remove those to accomidate various hand sizes. I also really like having the choil to choke up on the blade for detail work, plus I think they look nice. I like spearpoint blades, maybe with a bit of a swedge on the front. 7 inches overall length, and it would take a blank 1.5" wide to do it as shown here.

For steel, i'm fine with whatever. I would love S30V or CPM 154, but they might be cost prohibative for this. I have no problems with 440C, or anything else someone may suggest.

For the handles I would use a 2 color G10, but some type of linen micarta or something would be fine as well.

I could very well be the only person that likes this design, but i'd like to see what anyone else thinks. Feel free to use this picture and modify it.

Click the thumbnail to enlarge:

schiesz

Cypher

Enlightened
I took your suggestion and played around with the sketch. The first three I played with blade shape and the fourth I played with the handle. I just used MS Paint to fool around and my skills are weak so they are kind of ugly.

My alterations are mostly an excercise for me personally since I've always thought it would be cool to design a knife.

Disclaimer: I did this without reference to any other knives so any similarity to a maker's work is accidental and is not in any way meant to encroach upon their ideas. I am not a knifemaker and I just made the knife look appealing to my eye.

I don't know how to make thumbnails so here's they are full size. Sorry.
Knifesketch2.jpg

Knifesketch3.jpg

Knifesketch4.jpg

Knifesketch5.jpg

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I like the third one best of those.

I'm just glad to see someone likes the general idea.

Any other thoughts? Anyone hate the general idea here?

I think these changes would need 2" wide stock to complete, but I don't know if thats any different than 1.5" wide as far as prices and availability goes. Maybe one of the knifemakers here can give us some insight there.

schiesz

Incidentally, for thumbnails: Since you are already using photobucket for the pics, just click the boxes under each pic you want to make a thumbnail of, and click the button at the bottom that says generate HMTL. It will give you a bunch of test to copy. Pic the box that says "generate thumbnails for message boards, and copy the text out of that box. Paste that text in your message. Done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts