Help me design a knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groundhog66

Banned
I think I would prefer something shorter and a bit more beefy. Since the initial thought was of a necker, I think we are running into length issues.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a necker, so i'm not really familiar with the size and/or purpose. Perhaps like the Buck/Mayo Kaala?

http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/613/236

But beefier? Wider blade perhaps?

***EDIT*** Actually, I just look them up, and both the Becker Necker and Kaala I linked here are 6.75" OAL. These pictures are 7" OAL.

schiesz

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
A four-inch, titanium (else S30V) spearpoint with tungsten carbide serrations at an overall length of nine-inches with G-10 scales.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get in touch with Osprey_Guy He is an amazing knife maker. he made me a clip for my McluxIII T. It is amazing. I have a book this guy compiled about many amazing knife makers and their techniques.
His name is Dennis and he hasn't posted in a while but I am sure he may be interested in a cool knife project. He could certainly guide us to a knife maker who is qualified to make a batch of knives for us.
Have a look at this Damascus clip he hand carved from a hunk of Damascus steel.
BTW I vote for something in Damascus.
Yaesumofo

DSCN8093crsm.jpg

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
You are getting there, the blade shape is pretty nice but the handle is not ergonomic. Look at your hand, the middle fingers are longer than the rest.

Folders are premium priced because of the mechanical assembly time, I would suggest keeping it to a fixed blade.

Greta

Flashaholic
It likely will be no problem at all. Just needs official clearance before something is sold with the CPF name on it. I personally think it is an awesome idea.
Nope! Not a problem here! Keep me posted! :thumbsup:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW I vote for something in Damascus.

I'd love to have it in Damascus, and I would pay for it, but it would raise the cost per blank probably 10-20X, judging from what I have seen damascus blanks go for.

We would immediately be talking about a $200 fixed blade.

I was concerned with using CPM 154 or S30V, and those would just be 2X-4X the cost of something like AUS8 or 440C most likely.

Probably best to keep the steel simple.

schiesz

Groundhog66

Banned
I would say we are looking at a knife priced over the $200 mark regardless, custom is not cheap. I will tray and post some links to something that resembles what I am thinking about.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like a Ranger Little Bird?
http://www.rangerknives.com/Knives/index.html

In my eyes, its pretty tough to make it much smaller than 6-7 inches and still be useful. The little bird pulls it off, so something along those lines might not be too bad.

I am interested now in the knifemakers thoughts on a cost for these. Lets say you agreed to make 20 knives, 440C steel, micarta handles. What price range are we in?

I don't want to nail anyone down on anything exact, but maybe a range like $150-250 or something like that.

schiesz

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on the custom pricing. Count me in for this CPF blade!
Tim you started a great thread, I really hope the CPF blade will be made.

Maybe the handles (canvas micarta hopefully ;) )or blade need some Ultraglow epoxy powder on it :)

My vote for 4th blade drawing on Cypher post.

schiesz you ve made a very nice base drawings.

I would say we are looking at a knife priced over the $200 mark regardless, custom is not cheap. I will tray and post some links to something that resembles what I am thinking about.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just from looking at steel blanks at the places *I* buy knife supplies from, I think a real limiting factor here could be the width. I don't see much 2" wide stock available in any of the premium stainless steels. When its available, its 2X the cost of 1.5" stock, which is 2X the price of 1" stock.

I really like the blade shapes that Cypher added, but am curious if these more intricate shapes pose issues for the knife maker.

The custom makers here will know a lot more about these two things than I.

Regarding length, I just found a very nice Mike Obenauf "Obie Necker One" which is 7.25" OAL. I think 6-7" should be great, even if it does turn out to be a "necker" type knife.

schiesz
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Groundhog66

Banned
The "Little Bird" is coming closer to what I am thinking, not too bad. I HAVE to have hand grooved G10 scales, I love that look. This project should come to light, might be between $200 - $350 range. I would LOVE some damascus, but I would hate to cut with it since it's SO pretty.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see a cost estimate from a builder. I would think it would be better to keep costs down so that more people would be inclined to participate. Damascus? I was thinking of a knife that I will use.

schiesz

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
Well if we go with #3 the approximate cost with black linen micarta handles, 440C blade, all bead blasted about $100 depending on sheath selected.

Alternatives would be brown canvas micarta for better grip or wood like cocobolo for appearance.

George

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if we go with #3 the approximate cost with black linen micarta handles, 440C blade, all bead blasted about $100 depending on sheath selected.

Alternatives would be brown canvas micarta for better grip or wood like cocobolo for appearance.

George

Thank you for this information George. This really helps me get a handle on what we might be able to do. I would think the $100 range is a very good place to be.

schiesz

Status
Not open for further replies.