Help me Understand Why SureFire are so Expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
by the way stitch, Tiablo uses T7075 type aluminium, and unless you have proof that chinese factories use kids, youre liable for slander...

Crenshaw

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
by the way stitch, Tiablo uses T7075 type aluminium, and unless you have proof that chinese factories use kids, youre liable for slander...

Crenshaw

http://www.china-labour.org.hk/en/node/15889

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/1207349.stm
This is from BBC news, a British media company so their reports are unbiased and pretty much reliable.

http://ihscslnews.org/view_article.php?id=57

and

http://www.google.com/search?client...&hl=en&q=Child+labor+china&btnG=Google+Search

There you go crenshaw.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks stitch, thats horrible though, child labour...but i surehope companies like fenix dont do that...

Crenshaw

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help me Understand Why Surefire are so Expensive

I have a feeling that if we began seeing Fenix lights in target stores the prices would go DOWN.

I recently went into my local gun shop. they had a full range of surefire flashlights. all being sold at full retail with no discount. they also had the full range of Novatac lights. The Novatac lights were discounted a bit.
Funny thing is that there were NO fenix lights.

It seems to me that the online retail outlets for Fenix lights are really few and far between. That there may be one main importer who also retails the lights. One two or even 20 outlets pales in comparison to the number of stores selling surefire products.
I wonder why?

Child labor is a terrible thing. It seems to me that socially conscious companies (apple??) should be willing to certify that child labor is NOT used in the manufacturing of their product. I wonder if Fenix is willing to certify this publicly.
This is actually a very important issue and shouldn't be ignored.
It is precisely one of the reasons I personally try to avoid cheap Chinese products like those sold at DX.

Yaesumofo

GPB

Enlightened
What's wrong with child labor ? Assuming no one is being forced to work against their will ( aka: slavery ), if a country and a culture allow it, who are we to judge them ? IF kids shouldn't go to work, their parents will keep them away from it. I have to figure the parents know what's best for their kids. If some Widget company doesn't use kids in its factory, but it is an acceptable practice in that area, the kids who want to work are just going to work at the factory across the street. This isn't an issue for an individual company to deal with, this is a regulatory issue for the government. If the practice is allowed, I can't fault a company for partaking in the practice, because even if they don't, some other company will and the kids will still be working.

greenstuffs

Banned
That is why people have ethics and morals :shrug:
What's wrong with child labor ? Assuming no one is being forced to work against their will ( aka: slavery ), if a country and a culture allow it, who are we to judge them ? IF kids shouldn't go to work, their parents will keep them away from it. I have to figure the parents know what's best for their kids. If some Widget company doesn't use kids in its factory, but it is an acceptable practice in that area, the kids who want to work are just going to work at the factory across the street. This isn't an issue for an individual company to deal with, this is a regulatory issue for the government. If the practice is allowed, I can't fault a company for partaking in the practice, because even if they don't, some other company will and the kids will still be working.

ultimaonliner

Newly Enlightened
It's odd for me to see such passionate views against Fenix.

They make a great flashlight that is only considered inexpensive when compared to Surefire.

Unlike presidential political candidates or Burger King ads from the 1980's, Fenix does not engage in negative campaigning against their primary competitor(s).

So why the hate against Fenix?

BTW--If Surefires are made in Fontana, CA... well, that just about ruined any notion in my head of superior craftsmanship :eek:oo:

razor7

Newly Enlightened
Another possible reason for the overpricing is that SF is the only top-notch military supplier. Meaning, if you want a light designed to be used in combat, SF is the only company completely dedicated to that.

Not true- PentagonLight is just as dedicated as SureFire in supplying the military with weapolights, and their products are every bit as good as SureFire. Also, Streamlight, and Insight Technologies are military suppliers as well.

razor7

Newly Enlightened
i guarantee you that there are more mag-lites than surefires and fenixes in iraq combined. surefires arent issued, at least my best friend in the army and my brother who is a marine both didnt get one.

I was a Scout/Sniper in USMC, recently retired, and can assure you that SureFires are issued. Problem is, they are not issued to every infantryman, which is a shame. The elite and spec-ops divisions get outfitted with just about anything they want, just like Nike outfits pro athletes.

razor7

Newly Enlightened
I always had the impression that Fenix lights were made overseas, by an overseas company. Reading this post that does not seem to be the case. Is Fenix an American company? Are their products made here in the US?

stitch_paradox

Enlightened

Man, as much as I want to comment on your idiotic post, I will just let your post speak on what kind of a human being you are... what a total waste of life. I hope your mother is proud of you.

Back on topic. I have a gut feeling that Fenix is NOT involve in child labor, I really hope I'm right. However, child labor is rampant among Chinese companies, which ones are they? We can't tell, for all we know those big, so called, "american" companies based in China, might even have them. Majority of labor conditions among Chinese and other foreign factories are very bad. Whether the laborer is a child or and adult this is utterly despicably.

And this is one of the reason why American made products are a little more expensive than foreign products. American companies are required by the law to take care of their laborers. They are given benefits, paid vacation, medical insurance, etc. Laborers actually have their human rights.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Not true- PentagonLight is just as dedicated as SureFire in supplying the military with weapolights, and their products are every bit as good as SureFire. Also, Streamlight, and Insight Technologies are military suppliers as well.

PentagonLught, Streamlight, and other American made flashlights are also quite "expensive" when compared to their Asian counterparts. And yet we don't see people complain about that. Its make you think what agendas do this people have in their mind, when they always criticize SF.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stitch, it really isnt nice to make personal attacks on anyone..

and Working Children really isnt all that bad. Like he said, the alternative is the streets, with no money. Not everywhere in the world is like in the US. people work for money, for food, the alternative being no food at all. Child Labour in terms of slavery is bad, but you have to see the big picture, they wouldnt have money otherwise anyway. is it good? no, perfect? far from, but sometimes unavoidable. if you recall, even in the US at one point in history, there would have been child labour. after thinking about it, i would be happy if fenix had children working in thier factories, because im sure they would treat them right, meaning that these poor kids would have a source of income, and a good working environment.Most of these kids would be to poor to afford education, so i guess this is a better alternative then living in the steets.

anyway this is the last thing i will say here,i cant see this going anywhere i want to.... thank you to those who have given constructive and well thought out feedback. :wave:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Stitch, it really isnt nice to make personal attacks on anyone..

You always do that crenshaw, so don't preach on me. Nowonder you're being called a hypocrite.

and Working Children really isnt all that bad. Like he said, the alternative is the streets, with no money. Not everywhere in the world is like in the US. people work for money, for food, the alternative being no food at all. Child Labour in terms of slavery is bad, but you have to see the big picture, they wouldnt have money otherwise anyway. is it good? no, perfect? far from, but sometimes unavoidable. if you recall, even in the US at one point in history, there would have been child labour. after thinking about it, i would be happy if fenix had children working in thier factories, because im sure they would treat them right, meaning that these poor kids would have a source of income, and a good working environment.Most of these kids would be to poor to afford education, so i guess this is a better alternative then living in the steets.

anyway this is the last thing i will say here, thank you to those who have given constructive and well thought out feedback. :wave:

Crenshaw
Children should belong to schools, not streets or factories. If China is really concerned for it's people and children, with all their wealth they should have made it to a point that at least every child should be in school. You see China is far wealthier that most of the non third world countries, let's say Canada and Australia, but do we see child laborers in both of the countries? NO. But, why do they allow child laborers...Cheap labor its more money for them. It's all about the government there. Tell that to any child laborers there and I'm 100% sure they would tell you that they rather be studying in schools than working in factories. Its good to train kids early in life for working, but standing there at a factory working for 8 to 10 hours a day is far different from training.

after thinking about it, i would be happy if fenix had children working in thier factories,

Man you would say anything just so you can have the last word huh? Now I really see what kind of a person you are, great morals there kid. You just degraded yourself my friend.

Its easy for you to say that since you can enjoy your freedom and enjoy the benefit of you parents hard earned money, your mom still buys you flashlights after all. I bet any Chinese kid working hard at a factory right now would exchange life with you with out thinking twice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.