High CRI Surefire T1A

Matt7337

Enlightened
I'm still on the fence really. I love my T1A - It's by far the most useful small, single CR123 light that I own because of the interface. I use it a lot around the house at night because of the really 'low low'. I don't have another light that comes on as low as the T1A so it's a favourite for my nightstand, although it's disadvantaged in that capacity because there's nowhere on it for tritium. I also like to use it in the car for map reading etc. Before I got the Surefire, I was using the red low of an RA-85 Tr for this, but the T1A does nicely and allows me to use just a tiny bit more light than the RA's low can provide.

I don't find mine all that cold if I'm honest. Sure, if I compare it to my warm tinted LF2XT or neutral/leaning towards warm Bitz pocket lights, it's as cool as a GDP LED, but it's still very useable and I'm not yet at the point in 'Flashaholicism' where tint bothers me that much! It's something that I might consider in the future but for now, I'm happy with it. If I decide that I want it modded in the future, I'll certainly be sending it to DaFab rather than tackling it myself. I may be an EE, but I'd rather leave a £200 SF flashlight mod to someone who has done a few of them before! :)

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Have you followed the Jetbeam RRT-01 or TCR-1 lately? They both are showing up reliably with low settings that easily rival the Titan/T1A and are actually probably much lower yet, with the same ring UI that you're already accustomed to.

I'm never getting rid of my Titan, but the TCR-1 is the only new light I've ordered in quite some time and it was the .005>500 lumen capability that did me in. The TCR-1 is just the titanium version of the RRT-01, but also with a different design in the knurling approach.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Here's an old pic of both my Titan and modded T1A back when I still had both of them.
P1060343.jpg

Matt7337

Enlightened
Have you followed the Jetbeam RRT-01 or TCR-1 lately? They both are showing up reliably with low settings that easily rival the Titan/T1A and are actually probably much lower yet, with the same ring UI that you're already accustomed to.

I'm never getting rid of my Titan, but the TCR-1 is the only new light I've ordered in quite some time and it was the .005>500 lumen capability that did me in. The TCR-1 is just the titanium version of the RRT-01, but also with a different design in the knurling approach.

Yeah, I've been looking at the TCR-1 in the past few weeks and remembering how much I wanted a TCR-2 Ti and how mad I was at myself for not just buying one at the time, but I have to resist the urge to buy one right away. There are a couple of reasons for this: First of all, I just bough another aspheric Dereelight DBS V3 on top of my aspheric head to convert my old V3 to a thrower. I also bought a Surefire G3 with Malkoff & Oveready mods on the MP last month, and have ordered a Sunwayman V10R Ti which I'm giving the Veleno Designs treatment to. The other reason is that I badly need to stop buying flashlights and start putting some money into my track car because I want to get it on the track ASAP! I know the Jetbeam is a brilliant light and it's not all that expensive. If they stick around for another month or so, I'll reconsider and probably end up buying one. For now though, I'm resisting the urge!

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I have one of DaFab's High CRI T1As with an XP-G. I can barely imagine a better a light. I've bought a lot of lights since I got mine and none have stacked up.

Any chance the Nichia 219s would work in a T1A? Since they have the same footprint as the XP-G, would it work the same?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Sure do miss the postings of members like DaFABRICATA and he was a real treasure for this forum, especially the McGizmo mods he did.