High Output Thrower Review: M2X - 16wFP - M1X - EL P7 Longthrow

russthetoolman

Enlightened
So, Ryan.... When do I get my second rate M2XC4 back???:nana:
Email or call me when you have info on the 4 amp switch please, thanks

I agree with your test of brightness after ten minutes runtime. Anyway you cut it, battery sag, heat, whatever, they are tested at the same time on the same meter and the Sunlite stays the most consistent :nana:.
It's like people that don't like chocolate, more for me:)
And if you don't like the Sunlite stop telling us you don't like it, we don't care!!!:crackup:
Russ

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Hey Russ! I put it in the mail today. Should receive it by Saturday at the soonest? Monday at the latest. Thanks again!

The 4A driver....like I predicted in an earlier post, I am guessing it will come out late June or Early July.

And be on the lookout everyone, those 2 new lights I was telling you about? They will be named the 12w Far Projection. One is a 40mm head, the other is 53mm. They both will be 400 lumens OTF. They both will contain a single 2mmx2mm chip driven at 2A.:devil:

Lookout Raptor and A10 is all I gotta say.

BTW, I just posted this in the M1X review thread, but the 16w holster fits the M1X perfectly...like it was designed for it. Check it out here.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
So jzmtl...I'm curious as to your lights of preference now that I've heard some of your choosing criteria...?:)

I chose M2X out of the big guns. :) The M2X was to share battery with ZL H60 but I didn't like it.

Last edited:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
So, Ryan.... When do I get my second rate M2XC4 back???:nana:

And BTW, I don't think it's second rate! It's just not for me! ;)

Now that I think about it....you're the one who called it second rate! Naw...in all seriousness, I think it is a very impressive light. I love the regulation, throw, beam profile, and brightness. My only cons were the top heavy head, overall weight, form factor. (too large to be hanging on my hip all day.)

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without going too far off topic, what didn't you like about the H60? I don't own one, just curious.

UI is too finicky (even thou I have no problem with NT's click UI, I think ZL need to redefine timing for their "click" and "press", as of now it often interprets my press to click and end up blind myself. Plus there are some bugs that I don't know if it's just my sample or all fo them, the light is at 47 right now to be checked out), and all flood is strictly good for close up, not flexible.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with your test of brightness after ten minutes runtime. Anyway you cut it, battery sag, heat, whatever, they are tested at the same time on the same meter and the Sunlite stays the most consistent :nana:.
It's like people that don't like chocolate, more for me:)
And if you don't like the Sunlite stop telling us you don't like it, we don't care!!!:crackup:
Russ
+1 Oooh it's too long! how is 7" or 9" too long? hmmm,oooh it ain't pretty LOL guy's don't buy it go out and buy one of the others :poke:

One thing though it's lighter in weight by a large margin and even though it may have less lumen's it throws as far and apart from say the M2X it throws further than the rest from what I've seen and heard from people who have most of them :nana:

Last edited:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I agree that it's not very popular....but I don't get the impression that flashaholics like us are their main customer base. Mechanics and LEO's around the world are....and Sunlite products are tailored more to suit those occupational needs. We just get to reap the cool technological benefits that this company has that others don't...but it comes at a sacrifice to branch out and truly embrace what they have to offer. :cool:

As a side note, I'm finding out if they may decide to make lights that do use standard CR123's and 18650's, since the do listen to their customers requests. Don't hold your breath though. Keep in mind that one huge benefit Sunlite has is their ability to interchange heads while keeping the same power source...and those power sources are already in mass among prior customers. I guess they could develop a body only that can use 18650's......:thinking:

Fong Suo from Sunlite gave a response regarding batteries:

Ryan,

Your answer is correct. Also, we designed the flashlights as tools for mechanics' daily uses. So safety and easy recharge is the top priority in our design.
We do have CR123 version power units to drive all the LED heads we make (excluding the SlimJr. LED)

In the near future, we don't have plans to design a flashlight to use un-protected Li-ion batteries.

Thanks

Fong

Sunlite Science & Technology, Inc.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see the problem with the battery here's why: I would imagine you would get around three years or so using the flashlight everyday.

And why would I want to change my batteries from one flashlight to another it makes no sense IMO surely you should have batteries for all your lights and more :thinking:

I mean if you have 3 x 18650 lights then get 3 x 18650 batteries + some spares :devil:

[edit]And yes I have a spare :D

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
Re: High Output Thrower Review: M2X - 16wFP - M1-X - EL P7 Longthrow

And, keep in mind that all these lights out throw all the other quad emitter lights currently available...like the M30, TK40, L950M, MVP, ACE, RX-1 MC-E, and M2 just to name a few.

Hi Ryan, did you get this summary by running a test with these three lights with the others lights? Or is there some other thread doing a comparison of throw with all the lights involved? Cheers.

strinq

Enlightened
Hope to get a reply from the TS. Cuz am considering what to get. :)
And would love to know the source of the claims that the lights here are the best throwers around compared to the many he said are not as good. Cheers.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Hope to get a reply from the TS. Cuz am considering what to get. :)
And would love to know the source of the claims that the lights here are the best throwers around compared to the many he said are not as good. Cheers.

I did not make my claim based on my own testing of all the quad lights available. However, I made it based on the myriad of comparisons by others from one light to another. After all that is said and done, these 4 lights in this review are considered the top high output throwers that utilize a reflector.

And as I said in my first post, I think the Legion II would stand fairly well also, but I did not have one to test.

Just for you string, I'll see if I can find the quotes from others, and/or comparison photos they took that will prove my initial claim to be accurate.:thumbsup:

BTW, if you are looking for throw, any one of these 4 lights in this review will curb that hunger.

strinq

Enlightened
Just for you string, I'll see if I can find the quotes from others, and/or comparison photos they took that will prove my initial claim to be accurate.:thumbsup:

That would be great. Thanks a lot. Been searching a bit but can't find threads that have a comparison between lights you've tested and lights you said does not throw as well as them. Eg: The L950m.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
That would be great. Thanks a lot. Been searching a bit but can't find threads that have a comparison between lights you've tested and lights you said does not throw as well as them. Eg: The L950m.

See this thread on selfbuilts review of the M2X. He compared the M30, ACE-G, MVP, and M1X in it also. The M1X and M2X had the best throw out of them, and thats why I included them both in my review here.

See this post by easilyled for his comment that the M1X has more throw than the L950M. He has both and compared them side by side.

And from this thread by HKJ, you can see that the TK40 falls behind the 1st gen. M1X in terms of throw.

And from this beamshot collection by Glenn7, you can see that the Sunlite 16w is brighter than the M1X at 100 meters.

The L950M is still a great light for the money, and I plan to get one someday to add to my collection, but it just isn't a long range thrower in the class that these 4 in this thread are. And when Sunlite begins performing the upgrade to their 16w, I imagine that it will be at the top of the list, even outperforming the Legion II and M2X in terms of throw. But we shall see....:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Just to clarify my own opinion in terms of the L950M:-

I would still class the Solarforce L950M as a high output thrower, even though it doesn't throw quite as far as the lights mentioned in this thread.

Unlike the Jetbeam M1X it doesn't have a donut in the beam which is certainly an advantage that some may consider more than compensates
for the M1Xs slightly greater throw.

I realize that a cut-off point needs to be taken and that this is going to be arbitrary unless a certain distance is set in terms of what constitutes
long throw.

For me the cut-off point would be after the L950M though.

I would say that it belongs more in the category of the lights in this thread than in the category of the other more general purpose quad-die lights
like the Tiablo ACE-G, Olight M30, Fenix TK40, RX MG1 MC-E, Dereelight MC-E and Eagletac M2

Latest posts