Highest continuous current for a 3x XP-l 1x 18650 tube light?

Camo5

Newly Enlightened
I've been considering making a very efficient 1x 18650 light that is as practical as possible. The main focus seems to be as a bike or headlight.

I have decided to look into using a Convoy S2+ host from MTN electronics and drive an XP-L triple v6 3C using a Qlite driver. Here's the tricky bit:
I don't want a stepdown timer. I want the maximum mode to be as bright as possible without being able to cause damage to the light assuming worst case scenario is wrapping half the light with fabric and letting it tailstand on a table at maximum output (Replicating a headlight setup) (I can deal with too hot to handle as I often won't actually be touching the light)

So! Does anyone have a clue as to the maximum drive current of this light without cooking anything or significantly reducing the life of the light? I'm assuming it's somewhere around 3.5-4.5A

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered running it at medium mode for extended runtime?
A triple XPL can produce a lot of light when driven at high amperage that means that it will get hot very quickly in a S2+ host due to the lack of thermal mass, hence the stepdown timer is there for a reason...
Even at 3A, it can get hot after a min on continuous high mode.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't think a triple XP-L light, driven by a single 18650, is a good idea for a bike light. It could suck 9 or 10 amps out of a cell if driven at full potential. That would give you about 15 or 20 minutes of run time. Not very practical for a bike light.

Go for a single XP-L light, and don't drive it at max unless you really have to. 500 lumens is still plenty for most biking, and you'll get 2 or 3 hours of run time from a single 18650 (it won't have to be a high-drain cell). Even at 1200 lumens, you'll still get an hour.

chops728

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have built several triples with S series host---- from my testing 2-2.4 amps is about max for continued run time--I have one with a qlite driver 12 chips and the medium mode set around 2.4 amps it gets warm but not too hot to hold--that's with an aluminum spacer

Camo5

Newly Enlightened
I really don't think a triple XP-L light, driven by a single 18650, is a good idea for a bike light. It could suck 9 or 10 amps out of a cell if driven at full potential. That would give you about 15 or 20 minutes of run time. Not very practical for a bike light.

Go for a single XP-L light, and don't drive it at max unless you really have to. 500 lumens is still plenty for most biking, and you'll get 2 or 3 hours of run time from a single 18650 (it won't have to be a high-drain cell). Even at 1200 lumens, you'll still get an hour.

that's why i was considering the linear 7135 driver rather than a FET. I currently have an olight s30R but its not quite bright enough on its turbo.

Also the reason for the triple is to improve upon the higher luminous efficacy at lower currents per LED. I was told though that the nichia 219c triple can run brighter for longer though. I am hoping for runtime around 1 hour and 3 hours at 3A and 1A..

Last edited:

Camo5

Newly Enlightened
After some more research, I believe that the efficacy difference is minimal compared to the current 1x xm-L2 lights, and as such I will wait until the technology improves before reconsidering. Thanks for your input!

Last edited: