How addictive is it?

ChrisEdu

Newly Enlightened
I've got about 6 Elinchrom monoblocs and a couple of powerpack heads running off a 1500 joule pack.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the warning lads; it makes a change from all the severe weather warning here in the UK! I think light sales will probably go up just we can remind ourselves of what a bright thing in the sky looks like.

Can I count my studio lights as part of my collection?! :D

As you live in the UK before paying high mark ups for branded lights scour all the trade stores for lesser but still very capable makes at vastly reduced mark ups.The normal stores like Screwfix Arco etc all sell capable lights as do Travis Perkins CFC etc.Machine Mart and Tesco do there own label,another great source is farmers supply stores plus climbing/outdoor stores.

ps My Fenix stockist which is a boatyard with shop gives me 10% discount just for me asking,i get to try all the new stuff when i visit and always come home with something.

Last edited:

59ride

Enlightened
ADDICTIVE !!!!! ….you could say that
i just joined 2 weeks ago and in that time have dropped around 2k on some titanium numbers, with some more on the way. And then i discovered "trits"…OMG !!!!
I am like a bower bird
wish i had never googled "quality flashlight"

wjv

Enlightened
So, how addictive can it get? How many lights do people generally end up with?

It's not addictive at all. I can quit anytime. There is nothing wrong with owning 25 quality flashlights. . . . . . Honest. . .

:nana:

greenadam29

Newly Enlightened
Hey I just joined this week and have a prometheus ready made coming to me and hopefully will getting a nice light with some tritium on another forum. I collect knives so the pricing with customs feels justifiable and I am really impressed with what I have seen. I honestly didn't know there was such a demand for custom lights but I definitely see the allure. I hope to continue learning the technical jargon needed it took long enough for me to learn structural engineering in school and now I get electrical :)

magellan

Honorary Aussie
It is one of the daftest hobbies I have been involved with, my deepest regret is getting involved and spending hundreds of pounds on a tube with a bulb at the other end. I laugh myself silly when I read of the edc men who go out with at least three back up lights on there person, they really are pathetic and very sad.

I have my hobby under control now and can go a few months without buying a new light,the snag is you can buy decent quality lights now in supermarkets and other retail outlets at approx 20% cost of some brands.

Oh, that's easy to explain. If I went out with my favorite 3 handguns (I haven't always lived in the safest parts of U.S. cities) I'd probably get arrested. LOL

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
It's addictive. I got involved around 2008, and since then my collection has grown and grown. Have about 60 lights now, may have to sell a couple to make room ;)
In past years, I bought a lot on impulse. Don't have that anymore. A new light really has to add something, to the collection. But am always on the look-out for something new :)

Keeper Oath

Newly Enlightened
Addictive is it? Let me see, I've bought three torches since March 30th, 2015. I don't think I have an addiction, but do you?

I've found one more I have developed an itch for, but not yet purchased. I think I can control things. Heck, I may wait until this evening to order torch #4.

So, addictive is it? I don't think so.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Asking FLASHAHOLICS if flashlights are addictive is like walking into an AA meeting and asking if alcohol is addictive.

:D

Honestly, there are MANY flavors of this hobby.

For example, there are those who collect them the way others collect stamps, etc...or jewels, etc...and they get very fancy lights with tritium inserts and keep the lights in cases and display them, etc...

...and there are those who simply work/live where its too dark sometimes, and, need a light to see what they are doing, and don't "collect" lights as much as get ones that look like they might fill a need....

...and there are those who are into an ASPECT of the lights, such as color rendition, or how dim can it be and still be on, or how far away can it still light something up, or, how large an area at once can it light up, how cool the UI is to them, and so forth....

...and there are those who just want everything in their POCKET to "match/coordinate" so they are constantly adjusting the knife/watch/light EDC combinations, etc....

...and, there are those who use them for work, and, they are tools, just like a mechanic's wrenches, etc.

To be sure, there are MANY overlaps and transitional phases between all of the above categories. IE: A guy who'd never thought about lights in his life "just wanted to know a good light to walk his dog"....and, gets exposed to the universe of lumens and lux, and, ends up with a fascination with what's out there...and transitions from an initial utilitarian interest to a broader interest.

So, some of us are in ALL of the above categories, some in some, or one, etc....depending on where we live, what we do for a living, how afraid of the dark we are, and what trips our triggers as far as a light's workmanship and performance.

This is why there is SUCH a variety of threads that seem to be from different universes, with some wanting to know how bright a light can get because they want the brightest, other how dim it can get because they want the dimmest, and others just wanting the beam to not have any imperfections, and to be a certain tint, etc....and others wanting it to be reliable, or beautiful, or water proof, or bullet proof, etc...or all of it.

Tacti'cool'

Newly Enlightened
The fun part is listening to yourself try to justify your lights. I have always had good flashlights but in the last year started buying titanium customs....it gets bad lol.

Amelia

Enlightened
I lost track of how many lights I've bought years ago. I lost track of how much I've spent on them even before that, probably intentionally.
No - it's not addictive... it's just impossible to quit! :)

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple a days ago, I killed my first flashlight. Fiddled around a bit with a reflector, while the light was on (stupid!). Somehow the edge of the reflector shorted with something on the LED & killed it. :poof: Not sure if driver survived (to be looked at later). When I smelled the magic smoke, didn't know how fast I could remove the battery from that light! :laughing:

Now a sensible person would just put it aside, call it a day, and 'make do' with any of my remaining lights.

The flashaholic in me OTOH, sees a flashlight host with "something missing". So will be on various sites shortly checking for a LED star (and driver, didn't like the old one anyway) to replace the one killed. Makes no sense but that's how it goes... :D

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Insanely addictive! Chemicals, ha! They have nothing next to what flashlight collecting does once it gets ahold of you!! :drool:

But in a good way!! haha :twothumbs