How do you display your collection ??

zenbeam

Enlightened
Re: Flashlight Collection display methods, products, ideas?

Ah ha! I think maybe now we're getting somewhere. I found some multi-tiered displays (very similar to the ones for my pocket knives) that appear as though they would work very well for flashlights! And several other rather unique display types that would also be nice for small groupings of flashlights!

I hope it's okay to link to this site. I found it via google and I think it might be a nice resource for CPF'ers who might want this sort of thing? It's a site called aftosa.com. Here is but one page with items that may have great potential - and I haven't even begun to check out all the other varieties of displays they seem to have!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

you may wanna check on Craigslist and try searching "display case" :)

i think that's how a few people on CPF have gotten their goods

diggumsmack2

Newly Enlightened

Ok, first off is my unique multitool display, it's a simply store bought shadow box with all the tools stainless steel wired to the black felt back board. The lighting is two "picture" lights I bought at Lowes, which sport halo bulbs.

three.png

Next is my knife collection display. It's actually a repurposed flea market jewelery lay flat display case. I added feet to keep her upright and then shelves to support the knives, this one also sports felt, on the vertical(grey) and on the horizontal(black). It also uses the same display lighting as the multitool unit but only one in this case.

two.png

And last but not least, my flashlight shelf, with yellow and black reflective DOT tape in the background for added coolness. The shelf has a 1/4" round dowel glued down 1 1/2" from the back. This helps align all the lights like little soldiers ready for inspection.

one.png

zenbeam

Enlightened

Nice displays @ diggum!

Hadn't really thought of the simple, L-bracket shelf to the wall trick! That works very nicely for flashlights. The kewl thing about flashlights - compared to other collection items like pocket knives - is that they can stand up on a flat surface, opening up more options for display.

zenbeam

Enlightened

Alright then. I've come across something that looks like it just might make for a very kewl wall display item! It's intended more as an organizational tool to mount your flashlights out of the way and for easy access, etc. But if you group around 10 lights on the wall using these things - you have a relatively interestingly displayed collection!

I came across these at batteryjunction.com -

NitgeIzeLiteClamp01.jpg
NitgeIzeLiteClamp03.jpg
NitgeIzeLiteClamp02.jpg

Here's an info quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nite Ize Lite Clamps are designed to accommodate many different shapes and sizes of flashlights for the same purpose: keeping them securely mounted in the location of your choice. Molded from strong DuPont™ Delrin® acetal resin material, Lite Clamps are virtually indestructible, reliably flexible, and unaffected by extreme hot and cold temperatures. Their small, compact size allows you to organize and store your flashlights neatly and securely, keeping your workspace efficient and tidy.
  • Molded from durable DuPont™ Delrin® acetal resin material for incredible flexibility and strength.
  • Performance is not affected by extreme cold or hot conditions.
  • Expands to accommodate most shapes and sizes of flashlights.
  • Each Lite Clamp package includes 2 Lite Clamps.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They may not be particularly beautiful, but I don't think they will be too obtrusive either. From the looks of 'em, I would think you could do one light per clamp - but then again, my collection consists of generally small-ish lights anyway. These should accommodate most of my lights except of of course the 1x AAA models. Not sure if I want to go vertical or horizontal, but I am leaning towards horizontal since you can always stand them up vertically on a shelf.

They were marked down as on sale - but then again aren't most things.... :shakehead. At the moment, they are going for $3.49 per pack. I have enough confidence that I am going to like them, so I've ordered 5 packs to give me 10 clamps to handle 10 lights. Should arrive in a few days. I'll post up photos once I've created a display! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

zenbeam

Enlightened

Okay - So I got my order of those Nite Ize clamps some time back. It turned out they were pretty doggone tight in spite of being advertised as flexible enough for some larger lights. No biggie though. I have already made some good practical use out of a couple of them for my bedside lights. And they will fit a handful of my smaller lights - so I will wind up mounting those in my man cave when the mood strikes.

But as for the bedside lights, these clamps really helped! I can't tell you how many time I have reached over for the snooze bar on my alarm clock and knocked over my flashlight! Then I have to grovel around on the floor for it and by the time I find it, I am too wide awake to take advantage of the snooze alarm! lol And I also use my EagleTac P20C2 Mark II with diffuser as my nighttime reading light. And although I use the rubber tailstand cap on it, I don't need to now with this this clamp! The other light in the photos below is a Romisen RC-G2 II NW (1x AA 140lm) with simple on/off function and that's it (love having the ultra simple, highly bright light by the bed).

Until I get the other clamps up and running with a few lights clamped into place, I can only recommend these for practical applications. But if you have a bunch of relatively slim lights, they could make a great display alternative!

SAM_0005.jpg

SAM_0011.jpg

SAM_0026.jpg

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are at the right place and time, you can help a store free up space by buying their old and unused display case.

I picked this up at San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf at a knife store that looks like it hasnt restocked SureFires in years. (those are my lights) it came empty.

28437453075155336681270.jpg

zenbeam

Enlightened

If you are at the right place and time, you can help a store free up space by buying their old and unused display case.

I picked this up at San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf at a knife store that looks like it hasnt restocked SureFires in years. (those are my lights) it came empty.

28437453075155336681270.jpg

Outstanding find! Now that's what I need! That's not only a matter of keeping one's eyes open, but being in the right place at the right time!

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I turned this display cabinet from this

displaycase.jpg

into this Cabinet.

surefirelogofull.jpg

surefirelogotop2.jpg

surefirebaselogo.jpg

I was also very lucky to score one of these not many in Australia I would think.
surefiredis600x.jpg

cheers

zenbeam

Enlightened

So basically, that translates to... eat your hearts out! lol... j/k! :naughty:

But seriously, man, that's very nice work! I once had a similar shaped display with a rotating stand inside - it was something commercial and now I just can't remember what it was for. That was way back in the time machine.

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast

So basically, that translates to... eat your hearts out! lol... j/k! :naughty:

Pretty much :D

I still need to work out a rack system so I can fit more lights on each shelf.
I would like to have one more piece of brushed alloy sheeting cut out to fit in the back so you cannot see straight thought the cabinet but out of cash at the moment need to stop buying lights :thinking:

cheers

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice Rat!!! You should look at the real Surefire cabinets. There was one with acrylic sheets cut out and placed parallel vertically. it had elaborate semi circular cut outs to hold lights as well as slots for shelves.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like to have one more piece of brushed alloy sheeting cut out to fit in the back so you cannot see straight thought the cabinet...

how where the Surefire panels made? are they machined ? Then painted? They look really great..

An inexpensive method to cover the back might be to cover with a fabric of some kind. You could use anything from a sheer to an opaque covering. There would even be a very large choice of colors.

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast

[FONT=&quot]
Very nice Rat!!! You should look at the real Surefire cabinets. There was one with acrylic sheets cut out and placed parallel vertically. it had elaborate semi circular cut outs to hold lights as well as slots for shelves.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have seen them. They do look great but do not seem to hold enough lights. I was thinking the same type of rack system as in post #1. Removing the shelfs and having one big double row type or having two small ones on each shelf.[/FONT]
how where the Surefire panels made? are they machined ? Then painted? They look really great..

An inexpensive method to cover the back might be to cover with a fabric of some kind. You could use anything from a sheer to an opaque covering. There would even be a very large choice of colors.
I had the 5mm brushed alloy sheets laser cut for the logo's and 3mm red acrylic sheets go behind them.
Thanks for the ideas.

Dustinbikes

Newly Enlightened

Hello, I am Dustin and I am new here. I use a Pelican 1600 case with pick and pluck foam to store all of my knives vertically and the exact same method could be used to store flashlights as well.
P1020549.JPG
P1020550.JPG

Norm

Retired Administrator

:welcome: Dustinbikes

Please watch your image size as per Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Norm

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow That is impressive. It would only work with shorter flashlights. But very clever. I never thought of storing them vertically.

Dustinbikes

Newly Enlightened

Norm

Pic is re-sized, thanks for the reminder.

buds224

Enlightened
Photos of how your light collection is displayed

I'm considering getting a display case for my collection. I figured, the best ideas will come from those who are already displaying theirs. Let's see what's out there.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Photos of how your light collection is displayed

Subscribed, pics to follow.
If you want quick ideas, the surefire thread and post your lights both have photos of members displaying their lights.