How do you hold your flashlight

Zim

Newly Enlightened
I usually just hold mine under my chin with the light shining upward so i have the "scary face"! Its very intimidating...except when I am using during the daylight hours.:tinfoil:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like holding my 6D maglite as if it was a M4 rifle.:naughty:

I like holding pistol grip style lights too.

Bigger lights like my Ti-Mega I sometimes hold on my shoulder like it's a RPG launcher...:cool:

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
Re: How do you hold your flashlight?

Lovingly, with a tube of silicone gel in the other:naughty:.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two MTE P7s but they're on permanent bike duty since they've been modded. My EDC light is an L2D and I use pencil carry 99% of the time. It feels like less effort than tactical but still nice and pointy.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may sound like a dumb question but I'd like to know how many different ways you guys like to hold your lights. I only know of 5 different ways I use but not having a digital camera with me, I will just have to best discribe my methods.

The top of the flashlight is where the switch is (unless the switch is on the tail end of the flashlight)

Regular: Fingers around the bottom of the light; thumb on the switch. Most regular flashlights are like this (hence the name)

Also referred to as the "sword" grip. I don't use it often because, typically, I'm above the object I'm looking at - angling the light down feels awkward for me.

Over: Fingers around the top of the flashlight; thumb and arm on the bottom (You're gripping the light)

Also referred to as the "icepick" grip - using either the thumb to activate the tailcap or the fingers to activate a side-switch.

My usual way of holding a light because my relative position to the object - additionally, it's easier to track the light with your field of vision, in my opinion.

Over the Shoulder: Similar to "over" but you rest the back end of the light on your shoulder (This is how I hold a 4 D or bigger Mag Lite, Streamlight*, or any other long flashlight)
*A former neighbor of mine worked for the LAPD and had a Streamlight Flashlight that was about the size of a 3 or 4D Mag but was rechargeable (He let me play with it a few times and I shined it across the valley at some unsuspecting people). Is this the Ultrastinger?

I've never had occasion to use this variation - the largest light I've ever used was a Mag 3D and I have big wrists.

Penlite: Hold the head of the light like a pencil (Best when done with a Mini Mag or a Solitaire)

Only with really close work, like inspecting a weapon or an engine.

Tactical (SureFire): Fingers gripping the light like in "Over" but thumb on the tailcap. (I use this for all flashlights that have the switch on the back which also includes Sure Fires and other Tactical lights)

I tend to lump this manner of holding in with the Surefire weapons grip or cigar technique rather than an explicit flashlight technique as it is very similar to the "icepick" above.

A pdf of flashlight/handgun techniques

An abbreviated version of the link above from the NRA

-Trevor

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
I use a modified tactical grip, find it most comfortable and easier to aim.

Three fingers over the top of the body, index finger at T/C to activate, ball of thumb
at the 20 min. to the hr. position.

This works particularly well with 'lights as long as 6P, MD2 and longer.

herosemblem

Enlightened
I hold all my lights in the "cigar grip" hold, except that the light rests between my middle finger and ring finger.
I operate my lights with my left (aka weak-side) hand. The only light that I hold in my right hand is my E1B, which is is my backup light, stored in my rightfront pocket.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
weird names :) i have never heard of these methods.
i use the "Monkey grip", for the mags, dangle arms down at sides grasp firmly around barrel of light, carry , walk for hours, that is 99.9% of the time, if i want to spot something, then i use the "Statue of liberty hold" raise arm from normal walking position, point at object.

then i use the well known "Wanker grip" for the small twistie light, because the twistie has to be tight enough that it doesnt come on in the pocket and become the "pocket rocket" once on i use either the "Ice cream cone" or the "pen hold" but if i have to use it for long enough, then i switch to "Dangling Monkey" , or "oral infestation" if i need both hands

now if i have my solar flatlight with adjustable angle head, then i go from the "hose Holder" to putting in the shirt pocket for the "man boob iluminator" position.

my favorite still has to be the "Cycloptic Blaze" but i dont always use headlamps as much as i need them, and they sometimes dont aim well at all angles , assuming the "Limp Lumens" position.

:D

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hold mine in my hand!!! No really... It depends on the light but cigar grip seems to make me happy... I also like clipping lights onto things so I don't have to hold them...

Tomcat!

Enlightened
weird names :) i have never heard of these methods.
i use the "Monkey grip", for the mags, dangle arms down at sides grasp firmly around barrel of light, carry , walk for hours, that is 99.9% of the time, if i want to spot something, then i use the "Statue of liberty hold" raise arm from normal walking position, point at object.

then i use the well known "Wanker grip" for the small twistie light, because the twistie has to be tight enough that it doesnt come on in the pocket and become the "pocket rocket" once on i use either the "Ice cream cone" or the "pen hold" but if i have to use it for long enough, then i switch to "Dangling Monkey" , or "oral infestation" if i need both hands

now if i have my solar flatlight with adjustable angle head, then i go from the "hose Holder" to putting in the shirt pocket for the "man boob iluminator" position.

my favorite still has to be the "Cycloptic Blaze" but i dont always use headlamps as much as i need them, and they sometimes dont aim well at all angles , assuming the "Limp Lumens" position.

:D

:crackup:I think these ought to be the new official terms.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some threads just won't die...2004-2008-2010...LOL!

I use a "modified" cigar grip alot of times, where instead of activating the light by squeezing it with the heel of my palm, I bring my thumb over and activate it with the first bend in my thumb. kind of a mix between the over hand/cigar grip.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
I don't hold my flashlights.

I caress them.

Kidding, I go tactical, unless I'm using my mag, then I go shoulder style, but it's in pieces right now, awaiting parts which are at the post office and it's killing me that they closed at 4 today and I couldn't get there until 5 and I really can't wait until tomorrow because just opening that kind of package is always nearly an out of body experience for me and I've been waiting like a month and, oh......wow. I think I've gone completely insane.

Here's to CPF and all the Flashoholics out there!!!!

shomie911

Enlightened
I don't hold my flashlights.

I caress them.

Kidding, I go tactical, unless I'm using my mag, then I go shoulder style, but it's in pieces right now, awaiting parts which are at the post office and it's killing me that they closed at 4 today and I couldn't get there until 5 and I really can't wait until tomorrow because just opening that kind of package is always nearly an out of body experience for me and I've been waiting like a month and, oh......wow. I think I've gone completely insane.

Here's to CPF and all the Flashoholics out there!!!!

I think we all know the feeling. :laughing: