How Important is a Good UI...Really?

How important is a Good UI?

• Remember it for life?

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Just remember it long enough to set it up the way I want it?

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Kiss Only. UI? Who needs 'em?

Votes: 19 28.4%

• Total voters

Zenster

Enlightened
I now make buying decisions mostly on the light's UI after matching the "basic" requirements I have at the time (brightness, battery type, overall size, etc.).

There are lot's of lights in similar classes, but most have their own, unique UI, so that's what I look at most.

As far as remembering, I just need to know enough to set them up the way I like it. After that, I can always grab the manual later if I need to brush up on changing anything.

I don't look at a UI as something that offers a huge number of features, I look at it for it's ability to be set up exactly the way I want to use the light.
Once programmed, I don't mess with it much unless I change my mind with actual use.

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
A flashlight is a tool for illumination and not a toy...although I sure do spend a lot of time playing with my lights.

The more your tool can do, the more potential for a complicated interface. And that's where thoughtful design has the opportunity to shine through with an interface that is as simple as possible in accessing all of the features available. The same reason Windows is easier to use than DOS.

I'm a musician and work with a lot of digital electronics for guitar, vocal, etc. When most of these new digital products hit the market they could do wonders but you had to have a PHD in the particular product!!! As they evolved, the importace of an intuitive interface became important for their sales, and for the end users sanity.

So, all that said, I admire and seek out interfaces that are intuitive. It's frustrating to have "set and forgot" parameters for a tool, and when the need arises to change them, it's like a chinese puzzle. I much prefer an interface that you can "re-remember" by some intuitive process.

JMO

Flintstone

Newly Enlightened
Even if the UI on the D10 is dead simple in teory it's tedious in practice and no way of knowing if it will be bright or not when it turns on :) My take is that a light needs two modes and it should be obvious what mode you turn on when you do. The D10 could have had a UI that was press one time fast = low - press and hold = high. That's KISS for me anyway.

I think the Zeebralight 30 has the best UI ever (and the most all-over perfect light I own).

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there is a big difference between the UI used for operation for the UI used for programming in the more complex lights. The first two options in the poll seem to focus on memorizing the UI to program the most complex lights. Any way you tell a light what to do is it's interface - down to something as simple as a twisty switch with two states, on and off, and zero programmability.

To illustrate where I am coming from, let's look at 3 different lights set up as 2 stage UI's in operation - the NDI, Surefire L1, and the LF5XT (setup with 2 modes ignoring that it still has 100% and strobe always available). Note I don't own any of them, although I have looked closely at all of them for my "wish list"; if I get the actual UI wrong it's still a demonstration of my thinking about UI's. Alternately we can think of them as light A, B, and C with notional, but possible UI's.

Surefire L1 - Progmramming UI is the ultimate in simplicity - you can't. It comes with 2 preset levels. You basically have 5 states for the light (momentary low, momentary high, constant on high, constant on low, and off.) In operation the UI is controlled by the two stage momentary switch for levels and twist for constant on. Pretty simple in operation using it's 2 controls (the twisting tailcap and momentary button).

NDI - Programming is simple, but limited in what you can actually program (user mode light level). 2 controls to enter the same 5 states (bezel and forward clicky button). Also pretty simple in operation, just different controls that you may or may not find work better for your needs.

LF5XT - Programming is the most complicated of the lot because there are so many options, but you can set it up to be a 2 level light. All controlled at the tail button so more clicking but not twisting. Not complicated to use as a 2 mode light once set up.

All three can be used as relatively simple 2 mode lights. Different UI's in operation for different user preferences and uses. Complication of programming varies quite significantly between the 3. That complication buys you function if you can use it though.

To answer the poll based on two different UI aspects, the one in usage and the one for programming:
-UI in usage is critical. It's how I make the light do what I want/need without distracting me from what I am doing. It gets used thousands of times in the life of a well used light.
- Programming UI is less important to me. It should be as simple as possible for the functions it offers, but I am okay if I need to have the manual in front of me for less used settings. I don't expect to use it often. I understand that extra function adds complexity. If that complexity lets me adjust the UI for usage by making the light work better for me, then the hassle is more than worth it.