How important is being able to tail stand in a light to you?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If I need a table lamp, its important...but MOSTLY, the light's in my hand.

Its handy once in a while, but its not a deal breaker...given that typically the lights I use can light the room up laying on their side or hanging from a lanyard.

I use a lanyard a lot, to avoid dropping the lights climbing around.

fyrstormer

Banned
I wouldn't buy a light that can't tailstand. Even though I only rarely use a flashlight as a room-lantern, it is uniquely useful functionality, and if I'm doing it, it's because my hands are busy with other tasks and I don't have the option to hold the light in my hand.

Also, tailstanding is such a simple functionality to implement, that any light which fails to tailstand cannot be said to be thoughtfully-designed. If "full tactical" operation is an absolute requirement in certain use-cases, then just make the tailstanding ring a removable bezel so the user still has the option to tailstand when they're not hunting for bad guys in dark alleys.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tail standing isn't important at all to me. The few tail standers I have owned were extremely easy to knock over -- flashlights generally being long, thin objects -- making it a less than convenient feature. I find that laying a flashlight down and pointing it towards a nearby wall generally accomplishes the same thing as ceiling bounce.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I was given a streamlight lux jr with a kroll switch on it and like the ease of tactical use of it a lot. I think that some 2AA lights don't lend themselves well to tailstanding even if they do they are easy to knock over and roll off the surface and hit the floor. Tailstanding is to me is fine with 1 cell lights or side by side cell lights like 3AAA ones. I have one light that has a magnet on the end and I inverse tail stand it, that is I attach it to the AC vent in my room pointing down from the ceiling and it does rather well as it is a floody light to begin with. Tailstanding floody lights can be a blinding nuisance I figure most lights people tailstand are reflectored for that reason.

LGT

Enlightened
It's not a deal breaker. As stated above, you can always find an easy way to get ceiling bounce from a light that can't stand on it's own. But It is nice to have a few that can like a quark mini 123, or a ZL SC600, which IMO are two of the best for tail standing.

mostel california

Newly Enlightened
It depends for me what type of light it is. I have a soft spot for a newly acquired Sapphire, which produces pretty low light, about 4 lumens. But the quality of the light is poetic. It can't stand on it's tail. No problem, it's a keychain light. But if it's not for a keychain, I think tail stand is mandatory. I keep an Aeon on my keychain now, and it stands, so best of both worlds.

Brokenbuyyer

Newly Enlightened
To me, tailstand isn't necessary. However, just having it is a plus. If the light is self serves me well and it doesn't have a tailstand fine. If it does, then more in my favor.

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened
It's important to me. I like being able to tailstand to light up an entire room hands free. Shining at the ceiling is generally the best way to do it. I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of finding a cup. Just tail stand right there, right now! I do it a couple times a week. I see it as a feature. Like how some lights go up to 500 lumens while others max at 200. It's nice to have in certain situations, but not absolutely necessary for everyone, but everyone would like to have it if everything is the same. I happen to like tail-standing. Not mandatory for a keychain light, but should be for a EDC.

cache_0000013754782b76353.jpg

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me it's important to have this on lights which do 50 or more otf lumens. Below that I don't think it's important because they to weak to effectively light up the room.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I don't care if the light can tailstand or not. Like somebody else said, if I need it to tailstand, I can always find a glass to use.

I used to think that way until I got stuck in a restroom where the light (stupid timer) went out. Since I work on the road I seem to encounter that situation a couple times a year. Tailstanding is now a must for my EDC - for more reasons than the above.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
all of my lights can tailstand. i can even make my Mix6 and A3 tailstand sent from my iphone using tapatalk

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Not important to me. On the rare occasions I've done it I've I had no problem improvising. If a flashlight can tailstand, great. If not, it won't affect my purchasing decision.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tail standing is handy, but arguably the Least important quality in a flashlight... If the light needs to tail stand frequently, I have a 9v powered Pak-Lite for that. If a practical edc really needs to tailstand, it can sit in a boot, in a cup, or poke a hole in the dirt, prop against a rock, tie it to a tree, etc.OTOH, my ZL51Fc EDC will not only tail stand, but will side stand 360 deg by rotating the clip.