How large a light do you EDC?

Ah, the ol' Surefire E1B! I still love that little light. It's not the brightest nor the smallest but it's a great blend of output, compactness and sexiness. Mine had been supplanted by an Elzetta but I think I'm going to try a Malkoff head on it and see how that works. That should bump up the output a bit and fix the one minor issue I have with it (the greenish tint that rings the beam).

mhanlen

Enlightened
I have a big internal pocket on my work uniform- so it's easy to fit a tube style 18650 light in the pocket nicely. My 2 EDCs are a Convoy s6 and s5 triple Nichia. If space were a concern I might have to go down to a AA size light.

herbicide

Newly Enlightened
I always have a Promethius Beta-QR (AAA) in my pocket, and generally clip an L11C (AA) to a cargo trouser pocket if I'm wearing those.

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm just wearing jeans, something small like a AAAA light (quadruple A, not triple) or a 10180 Li Ion light. I just don't like my flashlights bulging out of my jeans pockets, the flashlights have to be unnoticeable. I want to honestly be able to answer "Naw... just happy to see you" :) lol

If I'm wearing a jacket or a ScotteVest shirt, then either a 1x123A/16340 (Klarus XT1C) or a 1" form factor 2x123A/1x18650 light (Eagletac P200, original Thrunite 12)

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I love small pocket lights, usually CR2 size and smaller. I have a lot of CR2 type lights and sub-CR2 size ones too. But often I'll EDC an AAA or 10440 light.

Favorite EDC lights

Oveready Peak Eiger mule 10250 in stainless steel or brass
TNC Brass Extreme Micro 15270
4Sevens Mini MLR2 CR2 neutral or cool white
Maratac AAA stainless steel or copper
Olight i3s EOS AAA
Thrunite TiS NW XP-G2 AAA in stainless
Thrunite TiS CW XM-L2 in flamed titanium, modded to 10440 by Vinh

On the keychain is a DQG Fairy 10180 light with the USB charger in my other pocket.
I also love the CR2 size of lights and have a couple on me always, a 47's Titanium CR2 MiNi, and an Aeon.

OP, this is a very good question as flashlights are needed in the daylight hours as well as night.

Also, in my daily carry, I carry a McGizmo Haiku, a Photonfanatic killer and a LaPetite Killer, both bare Ti., as a matching set. After dark, I carry something with some lumens in it! Lately, I have been carrying a Surefire PX2 or P3X both with Moddoo Clips and Triad switches along with an orange paracord lanyard with two Peter Atwood Titanium ribbed beads, a large and a small, on both. I think you need to be able to hold on to the light just walking in the open with it, as well as, if something goes down.

Some think I carry too Many lights, however, that's their problem. I like these things and use them all the time, and at night I feel you need a decent amount of light, for me, I like a good 500-1000 lumens to blind a problem, and get away, with no laws broken.

Flashlights are a great defensive tool, and one of the reasons is you can an be 50' away from some troublemaker and they can't see a thing, they're done for a while. Not to mention it is a huge surprise for them, which they are not used to getting from someone with a leaving a nice car going to the store late at night.

So, carry at least one in the day and add a brighter one for going out at night, or carry several, it's fun! No rules here.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Ah, the ol' Surefire E1B! I still love that little light. It's not the brightest nor the smallest but it's a great blend of output, compactness and sexiness. Mine had been supplanted by an Elzetta but I think I'm going to try a Malkoff head on it and see how that works. That should bump up the output a bit and fix the one minor issue I have with it (the greenish tint that rings the beam).

I cycle through several (at whim) but always have two or three on me. I prefer multi-level (low to high) or Rotary. The biggest I carry in pocket is probably the Surefire E1B.

Keychain: Draco, MBI HF Ti, DQG Spy, and less frequently, Olight i7R, Surefire Titan-A
Pocket: Jetbeam RRT-0, EagleTac D25C Ti XP-L or D25A Ti XP-L or 219B, Surefire E1B
Watch Pocket: Cool Fall Spy 007, Chimera MC-E (the rectangular light made by Sabrewolf a few years back)
Holster: HDS Ti Clicky, HDS rotary 170 or 325

Auto: Surefire 6P / P3X, ArmyTek Viking Pro v3, Nitecore EC4, couple of others
Briefcase: Anything I feel like but normally 2x123 or smaller, Surefires, McGizmos, HDS, others

Bugout bag: more than one Surefire. At least one incan, one LED, one lantern, and several luminescent rods. Need to refresh the lighting kit though; it's a bit long in the tooth.

The Surefire 2211 stays at home where it can't cause mischief. :devil:
Nice set up, and nice lights!

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory also carries a drop in for the E1 series.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I have a Tube on my keychain, and a Streamlight Microstream loose in my pocket. I have a Nitecore EA11 on order with an IMR 14500, so if it looks good, I may replace the Microstream with it.

I have an Icon Rouge in the car, and have a G2, a 6P, a Seraph 6, an EA4W in one BOB, an EA41 in the other BOB, an MT06, a couple of Terralux Lightstar 80s, and a Nitecore TM16 available around the house if I need them. I also have an EA8 and a TM11, but am selling them since they have been superseded by the TM16.

PS: There is also supposed to be a Rayovac 4C Lantern around here someplace, but I haven't seen it in a while so who knows.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice thread, im liking this forum the more I read. My weekday edc is a small sipik sk68 (i own many versions of this light, the sipik seems to be the best quality). im a supervisor for a manufacturing plant and I dont have to worry about breaking it because they are so inexpensive. It has a smooth zoom, a decent clicky, and surprisingly plenty of light for my needs! If you need a cheap edc id highly recommend it.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the VME fits all E-series threads. I don't have a photo of it on the E2E, but this one should be adequately close.

L4%20Side%20View_zpscuch1ekg.jpg

Here's a quick photo of a couple tail-standing EDC options.

VMEs%20on%20SFs_zpsqrjc2trx.jpg

For the E1B, it would work with an RCR123 or IMR 16340.

Last edited:
Thanks, Grizzman! That looks awesome. Just so I'm clear the VME head tapes M61 drop ins? I'd have to pick one that runs on standard CR123A cells since I'm not very interested in rechargables.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, VME heads are designed for Malkoff drop-ins. I did a quick search, and it seems at one point, Oveready did sell M31Ns, and likely L varieties also.

Illum

Flashaholic
Long time ago I used to carry a 3D Mag85 with me wherever I go looped on the belt... eventually did step down to a Surefire M3T with a Seraph P7 head and a surefire 9P with an Eagletac triple XPG. From there evolved to what I'm carrying now, two Solarforce L2s, both with EDCPlus triple 219s and AW18650s.

Soon when my Thrunite TN36 Triple MK-R Neutral Whites arrive I'll be switching over to that, and something small, like a Solarforce L2P with the Icarus Quad XP-G dropin. 1000 lumen is becoming a bare minimum for me, a consequence of losing perspective of things

Looking around over at the Malkoff site I think maybe the E1/Scout M300 1CR123 Head would be more appropriate for my E1b. I like my E1b a lot but the green tint and low output is a drag once you get used to Malkoff and Elzetta quality!
[h=1][/h]

Ladp.1

Newly Enlightened
For me, it depends on what I'm doing. I always have an SC62w clipped to my pocket. I lost it on a plane a while ago so went back to carrying my D25LC2 w/219 but I just had to order another.i If I have my backpack for work, I have a Zebralight H600fw mark II in there and the before mentioned D25LC2. If I'm riding my bike, I have with me a Zebralight H502r I use for a tail light and a Solarforce L2n with a single mode 219 drop in. I also have a clip on the handlebars that will hold the SC62w.

I've settled into carrying 18650 lights just because of the great runtimes out of them and rarely carry a spare batteries unless I have the backpack. I like the size of single AA lights but I'm always paranoid of not having enough runtime without spare batteries as there are times when I use the lights for hours at a time. With 150 some odd lumens for eleven hours straight, I don't really worry about that.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC two lights, one big to very big, and one smaller; except when I am attending church, then it is only one. (smaller)

Smaller: MiniMag Led Pro, because AA's are everywhere, and because it reminds me of the formative years of my Real Flashlight life.

Big to very big: Four-Sevens MMU-X3 at the least, or Eagletac SX25L3 MT-G2, or Noctigon Meteor M43. Maybe one day I will tire of oversize EDC, but currently, I feel happy with a powerful flashlight on my hip.