How many inches in a yard?

verbie

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Topper said:
I asked my son (14) Eric said he was not sure but a yard was 3 feet and a foot was 12 inches so it should be 36 inches but "math is tricky" so he was not sure. Kids, gotta love them.
Scott

[/ QUOTE ]hahahhahahahahhaha....what a cute kid. wait, i read your post again. your son is 14...umm...not so cute anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

verbie

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
J_Oei said:
Well, I just asked my 9-year old daughter (woke her up, in fact! I always told her she should be able to answer questions even if asked in the middle of the night, so I decided to check...)

So, after the usual grumblings of "I am trying to sleep!", she came back with "36. Don't you know that?"

I wish the public school system could take credit for that, but she is home-schooled....

[/ QUOTE ]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif you're so funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

verbie

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
im the dumbest guy i know but is there 16 cups?

[/ QUOTE ]no, i am the dumbest guy cuz i dont even know that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif but now i do. thank, raggie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

verbie

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
rscanady said:
Good Job Ragz! 16 is correct.
2 cups to a pint
2 pints to a quart
4 quarts to a gallon.
2*2*4=16!

[/ QUOTE ]must commit this to memory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Gills are far more important than gallons or quarts!

Standard practice in many businesses that hire students fresh out of college with no work experience is to disabuse them of some of the nonsense they learned in school. This is especially true of engineering students.

I'll second the remarks about know-nothing college graduates. A friend of mine graduated with a BSEE several years ago. He had zero work experience and just kind of lacked the polish and real-world soft skills to get an entry-level engineering job. He didn't know what "PCB" or "IC" meant. His resume was laughable. I talked a former co-worker into giving hin an internship with his side business. It was a disaster. My friend evidently had little concept of actual work and struggled with the basics that a green electrical technician would do in their sleep.

What disturbs me is that this friend now wants to get a masters' then PHD in EE and teach. I forsee the problem only getting worse - far worse.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:The ones I have mentally filed away.. 3.23 feet in a meter, 12" in a foot, 1.6 km in a mile, 2.2 pounds in a kilo, 1 lumen = 1 candlepower and so on, just the essentials.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello.....

Nobody?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I must go tell that to a few n00bs coming to CPF, Costco will have a run on Thors and the rest of CPF will go nuts trying to fix it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

On a more serious note, this problem does affect us - people are graduating with paper that means nothing, so it devalues the paper that the rest of us worked so hard to get (or are working to get). I'm not putting down more years of my life to get paperwork only to have to be told "we wanted something at the next level".

Additionally, employers nowadays ALSO equate paper to skills even as paper loses its relevance, as has been shown by other posts. So if you don't have the paper, you're presumed incompetent. Yet the paper doesn't guarantee competence as they seem to imagine it does, so they ask for even more paper. Those of us who truly *CAN* get the job done but lack the paper end up shortchanged across the board.

Well done.

Yes, it's an argument close to my heart as I'm trying to get past a glass ceiling at work. I see so many folks with their fancy degrees get chopped up when they go out there into the field with the equipment. I KNOW I can do a better job - just that they won't let me. Experience, track record and ability to get the job done apparently counts for nothing in today's world.

Sorry for the rant. I think I'll go have a few more stiff drinks.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

Those of us who truly *CAN* get the job done but lack the paper end up shortchanged across the board.
-->snip<--
Yes, it's an argument close to my heart as I'm trying to get past a glass ceiling at work. I see so many folks with their fancy degrees get chopped up when they go out there into the field with the equipment. I KNOW I can do a better job - just that they won't let me. Experience, track record and ability to get the job done apparently counts for nothing in today's world.

Sorry for the rant. I think I'll go have a few more stiff drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right there with ya, I'm in a good position right now but previously I had really become quite annoyed with clueless HR departments who would look at my resume (which includes things like 6 years of top level computer and networking support for the joint chiefs of staff at the pentagon) and then would say to me..."but we want you to be A+ certified". (A+ is the MOST BASIC level of computer technician certification, this is much like telling Richard Petty he needs to show his drivers ed certificate)