How many lumens is your edc?

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Wow, a lot of people with big pockets it seems! I'm not sure I could EDC my Surefire 6P without getting funny looks from people! :p

Usually carry a Peak Eiger 10180 Nichia 219 on keys (200+? Lumens?)
Then usually a L3 Illumination's L10, Nichia 219 (100ish Lumens?) or a ZL H51c (130 Lumens)
If I've got bigger pockets, a Fenix LD20 (Modded with Nichia 219... c.130 Lumens).

I value (perceived) quality over quantity of lumens! :D

GM

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
First I agree with the poster who said that an EDC flashlight is one that is a reasonably small, general purpose flashlight that is expected to be useful under a variety of non-specialized circumstances and carried on one's person most of the time without the need for frequent hip replacement operations!

With this definition, I question the very high lumens mentioned by several posters here, since the need for either a room lighter or a yard lighter is really a specialized need. If the high lumens are going to be used extensively, then the battery requirements will be such that the light will no longer be considered an EDC flashlight.

Moreover the high lumens do not translate to long throw, because the form of the EDC light tends to be general (so no aspheric lenses, or specialized reflectors). An exception might be the Surefire TIR system, perhaps acceptable for general use if you are willing to also carry a diffuser with you (I do).

OK, so what about the max lumens on this EDC?

One good way to think about issues like this is to consider the lessons of history. The EDC that started it all was the HDS, and the most popular for a long time was the HDS 60. It had, you guessed it, 60 lumens on max. And I agree that 60 lumens is a very useful output. So we can consider 60 lumens as a kind of minimum.

The question then is, how much higher should the max lumen output be, considering all the advances in LED and emitter technology since the HDS 60?

Here runtime enters the equation, calculated with 1xC123A primary battery, the classic EDC configuration. If you prefer a 1xAA, no problem, but then you have to reduce the max lumen since the AA has less capacity than the C123A.

Again, some of the classic EDC flashlights put a minimum of 1 hour runtime (McGizmo PD-S, the updated HDS, etc.). So, you are talking 200 lumens or maybe a bit more depending on emitter efficiency. So that's your max lumen output.

Again, personally I feel that a flashlight that gives something like 60 lumens at some output level and has 200 lumen also available is a great combination.

Finally, what if you get say one of these new XM-L wonders with 500 lumens on max? And some type of UI that let's you access lower levels as well? Again, my personal belief is that you will use the 500 lumen output rarely, since most circumstances where it would be useful have to do with long throw, and you won't get that (XM-L is very inefficient for throw) and if you really want to access 500 lumens for reasonable lengths of time then you will find your flashlight getting longer or fatter or both, and definitely exiting the EDC definition.

mgscheue

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E05 (30 lumens) on my keychain so that's the one I always have with me. Nice and small, good floody beam, sufficient brightness for most everyday tasks.

Last edited:

mgscheue

Newly Enlightened
Hmm...... I'm EDCing my Zebralight S6330 now in my winter jacket pocket. 2400+ lumens..........HAHAHAA

That's the one nice thing about winter: big pockets. :) I tend to have something with me that's bigger than what I'd normally carry, too.

Raiden

Newly Enlightened
Right now I'm using my Jetbeam PA10 w/ a 14500 Lion battery. Supposedly makes 650 lumens but using a lithium, it only set at High mode. With a primary or NiMh, I can use the differnt settings including strobe. But who uses those other modes, anyways? LOL

Bumble

Enlightened
at work (construction) i edc an olight s10 baton in my pocket (320 lumens good floody light which works very well on rcrs),
but when im not at work its normally an eagletac d25lc2 xpg-2 with 18650 (350 lumens approx) ....,or a d25c 2013 Ti xpg-2 on rcr123 (around 300-400 lumens)

edit ! forgot to add i always take a back pack to work, which carries a nitecore EA4 in it :)

Last edited:

gradio

Newly Enlightened
Fenix LD12 currently.
3/27/60/115 lumens.

I mostly use the 27 lumen I'd say. Using Eneloop AA also in it.

Currently in the thinking stage for something else to edc - the M11r is in focus up to this point. But have a good bit more thinking & reading to do.

Fuzzuki

Newly Enlightened
Wow. I am surprised. Most people carry under 200 for a EDC.
I have to weigh in at over 375.
The lowest EDC I carry would be my Olight S10.
I have other small carries that come in around 500.
But my favorite EDC is my Eagltac D25LC2 XPG.

Studey

Newly Enlightened
With this definition, I question the very high lumens mentioned by several posters here, since the need for either a room lighter or a yard lighter is really a specialized need. If the high lumens are going to be used extensively, then the battery requirements will be such that the light will no longer be considered an EDC flashlight.

Moreover the high lumens do not translate to long throw, because the form of the EDC light tends to be general (so no aspheric lenses, or specialized reflectors). An exception might be the Surefire TIR system, perhaps acceptable for general use if you are willing to also carry a diffuser with you (I do).

one of these new XM-L wonders with 500 lumens on max? And some type of UI that let's you access lower levels as well? Again, my personal belief is that you will use the 500 lumen output rarely, since most circumstances where it would be useful have to do with long throw, and you won't get that (XM-L is very inefficient for throw) and if you really want to access 500 lumens for reasonable lengths of time then you will find your flashlight getting longer or fatter or both, and definitely exiting the EDC definition.

Like many others, I have carried a TIR Surefire for several years as a general use lights and they did just fine. If YOUR uses require lower or floodier output, that's fine, but that doesn't mean that other people don't need or want more lumens or a throwier light.

My EDC is a 3P size light that puts out about 1000 lumens on high. I use the high all the time, not just the medium and low, and I find the size completely manageable. Everyone has different definitions of what is acceptable to them, hence the wonderful assortment of lights that we have available to us today.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My primary EDC is a High/Low MD2 putting out 300 lumens from a Malkoff M61N. When I need a smaller form factor, I grab a VME'd SF E2L Outdoorsman running......you guessed it, a 300 lumen M61N.

I got by just fine for years with the 200 TIR lumen output of the E2DL. One of these months, I'll be back in the 200 lumen arena when my HDS arrives (but I'll probably tolerate vs. love the tint).

Grizz

Quasar77

Newly Enlightened
I'm using a Thrunite T20(xp-g r5 with smooth reflector). High is 185 lumens which is plenty bright for me(reaches out to about 50 yards). There is now a T21 model with a higher lumens rating and an xm-l for more flood, if that's what you prefer. The single aa lights seem a little short on brightness, so I opted for the cr123a battery format.

argleargle

Enlightened
1. Note that these numbers are maker claims. Take them with a grain of salt.
2. Note EDC = "Every Day Carry," If you carry it every day it qualifies, even if it's a Maxabeam. :)

Oveready H3 Triple: 1600 lumens
Jetbeam PC10 RCR123x1: 500 lumens
Lumapower LM21 AAA/3.7 lion: 350 lumens.

Yeah, I actually EDC this stuff. I occasionally wear a Solarforce Gladiator 18650x4 in the hip holster for fun.

Anyone in this thread need a backpack or satchel to contain their EDC? :) Women have such an EDC advantage with those purses...:thinking:

cerbie

Enlightened
Wow, a lot of people with big pockets it seems! I'm not sure I could EDC my Surefire 6P without getting funny looks from people! :p

Usually carry a Peak Eiger 10180 Nichia 219 on keys (200+? Lumens?)
Then usually a L3 Illumination's L10, Nichia 219 (100ish Lumens?) or a ZL H51c (130 Lumens)
If I've got bigger pockets, a Fenix LD20 (Modded with Nichia 219... c.130 Lumens).

I value (perceived) quality over quantity of lumens! :D

GM
You got me beat all around, in lumens, even so. Due to wondering about the durability if the threads, I'd kept my Icon Modus out of EDC use, but then I found some cheap, so have extras, now. My EDC is now a whopping 50 lumens, on high. But, it's going to take another good TIR optic or reflector, like McR, to beat the usefulness of the beam. The beam makes it far better for most uses I have than 2-4x the output in either pure throw (usless up close) or pure flood (no spot for short distances).

I'd prefer a higher maximum pocket rocket mode to be an option, but I don't know of anything out there under $150 that would be as good to use and carry, and the high on it is enough 99% of the time. The Rebel Zebralights are a close 2nd, but I find ZLs too small and dense for pocket carry, and the pocket clip not strong enough to keep it secure.

I also still carry my old Nichia CS Arc AAA P on my keys, but I'm seriously considering changing it out for a Splash Flash, once I get one with a color I like (there's just something about an orange key fob that doesn't do it for me).

jph0200

Newly Enlightened
Klarus XT11 - 600 max
Klarus XT2C - 470 max
Nitcore MT2C - 360 max

Usually step the 2 Klarus lights down to medium 150 and keep the MT2C on low preset