How much is enough?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys think there is a better option than a 9P with a M60? For a duty light? When considering the 9p is about as large as i would like to go anything M3/4 sized is a bit large.
Yes!

The Wolf-Eyes Raider is a better option in my opinion, it is as tough as the 9P, but you can use two 18500 li-ions for an extra oompf. Not to mention it has forward clicky, for under 50 bucks it's a steal!

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-140-4-13-6018

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now one thing that shocked me is that US cops have to buy their own guns!
Departments (depending on budget) typically supply firearms to their officers. For example, the LA County Sherrif's Department issues Beretta handguns. This allows officers to share magazines and accessories in the event an extended firefight breaks out. But because a number of officers prefer the H&K, SIG and Kimber (et al.) that they train with, they purchase firearms outside of what the department issues. Other items such as tasers are available on a first-come, first-serve check out basis.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
IMO, the M60 is most useful with a two-stage twisty tailcap (Sandwich Shoppe makes a mod kit you can install). Partial twist brings up around 30L, just right for closer work without killing your night vision. Twist another 1/8 turn & you get 235L.

With a little practice, the twisty tailcap is a one hand operation (little finger grips the tail).

I really liked the M60 before the two stage, now it's my favorite night light:twothumbs

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
IMO, the M60 is most useful with a two-stage twisty tailcap (Sandwich Shoppe makes a mod kit you can install). Partial twist brings up around 30L, just right for closer work without killing your night vision. Twist another 1/8 turn & you get 235L.

With a little practice, the twisty tailcap is a one hand operation (little finger grips the tail).

I really liked the M60 before the two stage, now it's my favorite night light:twothumbs

Do you have a direct link to this item please?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I believe CPF rules don't allow direct hotlinks, but you can go to theledguy dot chainreactionweb dot com, then look under Categories, Mod Shoppe, DIY Mods, Surefire Mods, and look for the Classic 2-Stage Switch Kit ($30.00)

For a visual walkthrough of the installation, go to:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=83844&highlight=McC2S

This mod is worth every penny, and then some:D

Last edited:

matt0

Enlightened
precisionworks, which resistor value did you select? It gives an option for 15, 22, 30, or 60 Ohms...

The higher the value the lower the light level will be right?

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
I believe CPF rules don't allow direct hotlinks, but you can go to theledguy dot chainreactionweb dot com, then look under Categories, Mod Shoppe, DIY Mods, Surefire Mods, and look for the Classic 2-Stage Switch Kit ($30.00)

For a visual walkthrough of the installation, go to:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=83844&highlight=McC2S

This mod is worth every penny, and then some:D

This might be a stupid question, but could i use the tail cap from a L2 to carry out the same function?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I saw that also ... mine came already assembled from The Marketplace & the resistor is 30 ohms. You may want to PM Wayne (dat2zip is his CPF screen name) to see which one he sells the most.

A 60 ohm resistor would give a lower low beam, which I'd love to see. But the 30 is very nice to my eyes & still puts out a useful amount of light.

could i use the tail cap from a L2
That is certainly a Wayne question. The 6P body is larger than the E body, so my guess is no. Wayne would know for certain, or might suggest another option.

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
Departments (depending on budget) typically supply firearms to their officers. For example, the LA County Sherrif's Department issues Beretta handguns. This allows officers to share magazines and accessories in the event an extended firefight breaks out. But because a number of officers prefer the H&K, SIG and Kimber (et al.) that they train with, they purchase firearms outside of what the department issues. Other items such as tasers are available on a first-come, first-serve check out basis.

Only about 2% of the UK officers are armed, what we call ARV (armed response units) they carry Glock 17s and HK MP5, however they can't draw their glocks without authorisation from control and their MP5s are in a locked box and again can't be removed without authorisation.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
in relation to your off topic question, in QLD firearms are issued to each individual officer when they leave the academy. Every non commissioned Police officer maintains their firearm as they are all considered to be "operational" regardless if they hold a desk job or a first responders job, we all use Glock 22's here, except for our emergency response teams.

I am not aware of any state in this country that makes an officer buy their own firearm, but some other guys from Aust may clarify that for certain. Maybe some of the Vics can tell us about their 38's :p

BOT When you ask about other lights being available, i thought i picked up from your other post that you already had SF's hosts? So when you say light do you mean the entire light or other LED drop ins?

Last edited:

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
in relation to your off topic question, in QLD firearms are issued to each individual officer when they leave the academy. Every non commissioned Police officer maintains their firearm as they are all considered to be "operational" regardless if they hold a desk job or a first responders job, we all use Glock 22's here, except for our emergency response teams.

I am not aware of any state in this country that makes an officer buy their own firearm, but some other guys from Aust may clarify that for certain. Maybe some of the Vics can tell us about their 38's :p

BOT When you ask about other lights being available, i thought i picked up from your other post that you already had SF's hosts? So when you say light do you mean the entire light or other LED drop ins?

I already have a few hosts but i don't mind buying another one as you can never have too many flashlights, thus if i find a host better suited for my application then i can find another use for my existing lights.

Zenster

Enlightened
the other thing that i think would be a problem is that 235 lumes might be a little too overwhelming when working in confined spaces such as filling out forms or close quarters, it's no good being blinded by your own flashlight!

Trust me, even the 140 lumens of the M60L will blind you when it reflects back from a close held page.

As a happy medium, you might go with the M60 or M60L as a main light (they're not THAT different appearing from each other in overall brightness), and then carry something like a JetBeam I MK IBC in your pocket for those (probably frequent occasions) when you want much less light for simple tasks.
Being programmable, you can set it to come on from just a few lumens and up to 120 lumens max, and you have three simple to get at settings to set.

My .02

kts

Enlightened
Wouldnt something rechargeable be better as a dutylight?:thinking:

The cops in my country is issued magchargers, it packs a mean punch too :twak:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
With dark adapted eyes and an M60 you will definately be squinting even if you hold the paper out at arms length with the light near your head. Much closer and it becomes a little difficult to read things because of the brightness. An M60 L will prolly leave you squinting too.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Far Far warmer. If you look at the beamshots I linked to in one of your previous threads there's a surefire P60L thrown in alongside the M60. M60's tint is way warmer(creamy white, similar to an extremely white incandescent light) than the P60L which leans towards the blue.

*edit* Here it is for anyone who wants to take a look

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199271

Last edited:

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
Far Far warmer. If you look at the beamshots I linked to in one of your previous threads there's a surefire P60L thrown in alongside the M60. M60's tint is way warmer(creamy white, similar to an extremely white incandescent light) than the P60L which leans towards the blue.

Thanks for that i'll take a look!

Zenster

Enlightened

*edit* Here it is for anyone who wants to take a look

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199271

+1 to that!
I wasn't even thinking about what to expect with my M60 and M60L, but I immediately noted that both of them had a great warmth to them compared to ANY of my other LED lights.
That was a pleasant surprise.

(And no, they're not like incans, but they definitely take a turn in that direction).