How Often Do You Use 1000 Lumens and You're Most Used Levels

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run a H17F driver in my EDC lights, and occasionally I'll punch a hole in the darkness with 3A, but most of the time I use level 2 which is a lumen or less.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is exactly why I want more new lights to come out that are either mid-range with "normal" mixed beam profiles or all out flooders. For me even 1000 lumens on most lights that have good throw these days is MORE than I need 95 percent of the time. I don't understand the obsession with more and more throw when we have lights that aren't that big literally getting nearly 1km distance. Especially with recent de-domed high power emitters.

If you are in an area though with not a lot of light though or say in the woods you still want a lot of light, but a much more floody beam is way more useful. 1000 lumens suddenly is still bright, but you could definitely benefit from even more sometimes. Focus adjust lights are great, but you never get the same super floody smooth beam on the flood end or the pin-point throw end that you do with "fixed" reflector lenses. Still waiting on that perfect focusing light that does both ranges perfectly with several thousand lumens. When a company can do that the flashlight game will be over :)

ven

Flashaholic
Focus adjust lights are great, but you never get the same super floody smooth beam on the flood end or the pin-point throw end that you do with "fixed" reflector lenses. Still waiting on that perfect focusing light that does both ranges perfectly with several thousand lumens. When a company can do that the flashlight game will be over :)

It has got me thinking:thinking:, we have had men on the moon(apparently :whistle:) all kinds of crazy stuff, you know like having a phone that does internet stuff and take these things called pics!! Yet to date, no light manufacturer can make a light that focuses all the way through its............well focus!zoomy !. You can get a decent beam usually at both extremes..............yet the bit in the middle is always fugly:sick2:

Surely it is not impossible to do..............

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live up a dark mountain so my go to light is a Malkoff Hound Dog V3 Neutral, it's sits in a clip on the wall by the door.

It gets more use than my smaller lights.

I'm currently awaiting a Convoy L6 so that'll light up even more of the mountain!!

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
My usage of lights in general comes to "close quarters" per say. And everything >= 500 lm just blinds me with reflections. Of course, when I inspect a yard I use 1000 lm, but that happens much more seldom.

tops2

Enlightened
For my traditional lights, I use ~50 lumens and moonlight the most. With my floody headlamp, I'll use ~100 lumens (want higher to five about same "brightness" since it's floody) and moonlight.

Taz80

Enlightened
When I'm checking the yard for critters, ( skunks are the biggest problem, if your dog has ever gotten sprayed you'll understand) I use 1000 plus floody lumens. When encouraging the skunks to move along 1000 plus throwy lumens. For most other tasks between 50 and 100 lumens in a reflector light, in a mule that is sometimes bumped up to 200 or so lumens.

wjv

Enlightened
Indoors: 50 or less

Outdoors: 300 or less

Unless I'm just having fun. Rarely do I really need all of the 3,200 lumens from my Olight SR Mini Intimidator II, or the 160,000+ CD from my Olight SR52 ultra thrower intimidator (SR52UT).

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends what light I'm using and where, at work I'm good with about 300 from a malkoff M61N, my new edc is the okluma with XP-L hi and so far I tend to use less then 30% usually 5% or so.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my eyes dark adapted, so 0.3 and 3 lms ~90%. Then 30lms maybe 7% and 300lms the rest (but only on momentary switch from one of the lower modes).

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
It has got me thinking:thinking:, we have had men on the moon(apparently :whistle:) all kinds of crazy stuff, you know like having a phone that does internet stuff and take these things called pics!! Yet to date, no light manufacturer can make a light that focuses all the way through its............well focus!zoomy !. You can get a decent beam usually at both extremes..............yet the bit in the middle is always fugly:sick2:

Surely it is not impossible to do..............
Yeah, why is that? Every so often I think to myself "I'll just stick it in the middle". Then it's like Oh, No. With most of them being secret government military flashlights that have only recently been released to the general public...I would think they'd have figured that part out.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I like big lumens but recently I've been appreciating the lower modes. Any light with a .5 lumen mode is cool. If I'm in a really dark place, that actually lights up everything just fine, in a minimalistic sense.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most used prob around the home, from 0 to 100. Decorating the house or adding light in the right place to see the Lego with my 6 year old I use 1000 to 2500 ceiling bounce. On my mountain bike it changes from 900 to 2600.

When I had my springer spaniel I used 1000 lumens every night "checking" now its a quick 3000 lumen burst out back to let the cats know they have food !!

Last edited:

Marfenix

Newly Enlightened
Usually firefly mode is enough in the house or when i'm looking for something that needs more light i will use 450 lumens. When i take a walk in the woods in the wintermonths it is nice to have 1020 lumens available for turbo but 600 will then suffice. I use an Olight S30RII.

Nystagmus

Newly Enlightened
Mostly using a moonlight mode these days to check on the baby. But use the higher outputs for short burst outside...but i'm outside at night less and less these days.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
There seems to be this quest for more and more lumens but how often do you actually use it and what are you're most used every day levels.

I have a 1000 lumen Sure Fire that I use very infrequently. I carry it for tactical purposes, but on occasion will use it to light up the area checking for danger when I exit a vehicle at night.

My most used every day levels are about 100 lumens and about 20 lumens, high and low on the Mini-Mag. Those light levels suffice for 99% of my light needs. If I need more light for a short time, I'll pull the Sure Fire 1000 lumens out, but if I need brighter than 100 lumens for an extended time, I'll either grab a ML50LX or my Princeton Tec Apex headlamp. The headlamp max is about 310 lumens, and the ML50LX max is about 610 lumens IIRC.

Whilst I think it's nice to have it for when needed ... I very seldom use it

As rough numbers most of the time I'd use around 300 lumens for cycling in a darkish area and around 150 for brighter areas .... 150 lumens when I want a bit more light walking but as your eyes adjust I don't really need over 80 and probably more use around the 50 / 60 level.

Be interested to hear what sort of levels others use, what your perfect "mode options" would be on a torch and and what you'd use the different levels for???

Hmmm. I love the mode options of the Blackhawk/Night Ops Gladius, I just wish that the lumens were higher--mine maxes out somewhere between 90 and 100 lumens. You should look up the User Interface (UI) for it online, it is a very nice UI, best I've ever seen. Unfortunately, the light is out of production, and I don't know of another like it currently being produced. It had step levels from sub lumen all the way to high plus strobe, plus momentary as well as continuous. A great light. Mine is semi-retired, as the Mini-Mag does most of what I need with rechargeable Eneloops, as the 1000 lumen Sure Fire has replaced it as my tactical light. :cool:

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Here's my breakdown:

10 - 70 lumens - puttering about the house with a BLF-348, an Astrolux S41 or (very occasionally) a Fenix LD02. By far my most used range; if the light I'm holding has more than one mode in that range, it'll be the highest one. Low lumen modes are useless to me, because I have no low-light vision to speak of.

200 lumens - outside on dry pavement. This is Scotland, hardly ever happens :)

400 lumens - outside on damp pavement but not actually raining. See "200 lumens" :)

800 lumens - outside in the rain. My second most used range; I EDC a custom Convoy X3 in my backpack for this job. I love the BLF A17DD driver's UI. All hail Toykeeper!

Latest posts