how to fit a triple in an 18mm spot?

Tmad

Newly Enlightened
Anybody have any ideas as to fit a triple xpg w/ optic in a 18mm spot? I tried trimming down a 20mm illumination supply parallel board to fit but ended up exposing a lead and grounding out the positive. Anybody know if a 3up board has leads on the edge too? Or would I be able to fit 3 8mm mcpbs with a little trimming? Thanks in advance

Flucero28

Enlightened
Datiled has built some triple light engines for the lumi lights that look 18mm or smaller in diameter. You may be able to ask him or check his sales thread photos.

Frank

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
An alternative is to simply make your own triple PCB that is 18mm in diameter. I could create the Gerber files for you in about 10 minutes. The only trick is you'd have to decide if you want to stump up the cash (about $200) to have 100 of them made as MCPCBs or just use normal FR4 PCBs with proper thermal vias for about $20 for 20 of them (through a prototype place like Seeed Studios). The FR4 with thermal vias are actually better than traditional aluminum MCPCBS as they do give direct copper contact to the thermal pads on the LEDs. Of course the installation of the PCB is important to provide good contact to the heatsink.