Human Tests On Tactical Use Of Strobes - "Combat Simulation" Report

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in which Nerf Guns you were using though, i am getting quite a collection, my favorite at the moment being the CS35 Raider

Those raiders look nice but I prefer the range of the Long Strike/Recon, our son just picked up the Nite Finder after messing around with a Maverick for a while, seems (as already mentioned) there's some people out there seriously modifying their Nerfs ;)

I just figured this had to belong to a CPF'er (just look at the SF add-on) :thumbsup:

BTW thanks for sharing your story OP ;)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
The raiders are only good for short range combat, but they're very good at that with the firing rate. Someday I'll have to get a long strike or recon, but I'll start with my current arsenal which is already all I can carry at once.

Andystone316

Newly Enlightened
I just figured this had to belong to a CPF'er (just look at the SF add-on) :thumbsup:

This thing deserves a medal of some sort!! Awesome work.

Also,I didn't realize what I was going to be starting when I posted this http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?246992-Anybody-here-into-modding-Nerf-guns

And yes, Mav's are the gateway drug... I have modded both of mine and those were just the beginning... :)
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?246992-Anybody-here-into-modding-Nerf-guns

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those raiders look nice but I prefer the range of the Long Strike/Recon, our son just picked up the Nite Finder after messing around with a Maverick for a while, seems (as already mentioned) there's some people out there seriously modifying their Nerfs ;)

BTW thanks for sharing your story OP ;)

IIRC that maverick belongs to Mil-spec Monkey. (not CPF)

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest problem with strobe mode is being able to access it quickly and effectively. Most of the chinese lights make you cycle through 10 different settings before finally reaching it, making it all but useless.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest problem with strobe mode is being able to access it quickly and effectively. Most of the chinese lights make you cycle through 10 different settings before finally reaching it, making it all but useless.

Hence why I found the BH Gladius to be the best UI for accessing strobe. But I have not tested that many lights with strobe. I feel your pain about the cycling garbage. The Quark series has an easy strobe access. Simply push the light on and of and on again and it strobes in high mode. However. If you want to momentary shut off the light, you will get strobe sometimes. So still a little annoying.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most of these where designed with some form or occasional use like self-defense or signaling in mind. Fenix and Quarks have a 2 step access. Some lights (including the tactical Quarks, Predator, Nitecore IFE) where made to have immediate access AND momentary strobe action. We'll definitely be using those when we hit the actual field (probably in 2 weeks or so).

Solscud, Andystone: Which is the pinnacle of modified nerf guns? I don't mean just distance and going through objects, but the one with the best overall features?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is like saying which modified mustang is the pinnacle? Cobra? Shelby? Which modified light is the pinnacle? Milkyspit? Overready?

It really is the user that makes the difference. However there are some guns that are so overwhelmingly unfair that they are banned.

Doomslayer is one that comes to mind. It is a Rapid Fire Shot gun by Ertl. Modified it reaches 100ft.

the Nerf Crossbow is like the AR15 in Nerf world. it can reach 100ft easily and has LOTS of mods for it. But it is old and rare.

The Octo-shot is pretty good from what I hear. Here is a video that was posted in the marketplace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO36G4W2Occ

The raider is great with a spring upgrade and restrictions removed. It is an all purpose nerf weapon. I have managed to hold my own out doors against 100+ft guns. The benefit is the large ammo capacity. 35 darts is over whelming against someone who has rate of fire equal to the civil war.

However newer guns like the plusbow (DIY open source project cross bow) Has evolved into a pump shotgun with the "hopper" clip (nerfers say clips. Firearms people say magazines) with the hopper clip you can shoot as many darts as you can pump them out and reach over 100 ft. so those types of guns are drastically changing the game.

Here is a fun project that i made.

The Longshot (LS) is a pretty good platform. modded properly it can reach respectable ranges. Of course dart choice is key. The stefans help revolutionize Nerf guns. They are more stable in flight and reach farther distances.

Here is my shotgun LS. The LS stock has a charging handle on the side. i have modded it with only stock parts to make a shotgun pump version
img2618i.jpg

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I don't know how deep I want to plunge into nerf modding, but at least I have a much better idea of what I might go for next.

BTW, the new Mega Missile in incredibly easy to mod and a real delight once modded. I didn't have any measurements, but I know I was at least very close to 100 feet (angled shot). I'll have to find some material for custom darts that actually fit my tubing properly. The missile itself can reach close to 50 feet with this mod and that's the beauty of it; you keep the original functionality as well.

I did have to exchange both of them, however, one had too much friction and the missile didn't go anywhere, and the other one had a broken missile (glue didn't catch I guess)

Now I need to get some railing so I can get some use out of my TK15 remote switch...

Xacto

Enlightened
[...]
Now I need to get some railing so I can get some use out of my TK15 remote switch...

I never knew that Nerf guns have such a huge following amongst adults.... or at least guys that are of legal-age (like myself) ;-)
Regarding rails - I got some nice metal ones from the Classic Army airsoft range, in my case they are designed for the G36k, but can of course be attached via screws to any plastic gun.

Very informative thread, please keep it running like that, I am eager to learn more.

Thanks.
Cheers
Thorsten

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
A big thanks to the OP, that story really brightened my day!

My friend and I did a similar thing a few years back while he was living in the dorms at a Junior college. Over a break, the dorms were empty, and we taped our flashlights to nerf guns and did similar "experiments" with the strobe modes using an obstacle course we made in the dorm hallways. :)

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC that maverick belongs to Mil-spec Monkey. (not CPF)

Well they ought to be a CPF'er with such a good taste in flashlights! :thumbsup:

Recon's are only $30.00 (AUD) locally with the Longshot coming in at around $10.00 more, I was leaning towards the Recon but I really like what you've achieved with the Longshot chassis... now I'm back to considering both! :ohgeez:

The only Hasbro foam dart gun I've owned previously was the Star Wars Wookie Bowcaster, a single shot (basic) weapon, the Mav' really outclasses it... but it's kinda cool if you're also a S/W fan ;)

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recon is a fun weapon like the maverick. But not practical in a real Nerf War (Nerf War is the term US players call Nerf Games at least on the Nerf Internet Community). Range is awful when compared to most weapons shoot past 50 feet. Also when Im talking about dart ranges these are flat trajectories. that is the standard that all other guns are tested against. So 100 feet arched is not a lot to get excited about when shot flat.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Nerf War" - Oh that's kinda' catchy isn't it? I guess I'll opt for the Longshot after all no point in opting for insufficient firepower! (and I hear it's one of the easiest to modify) :devil:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
We call our melees "Nerf Gun Wars" =) I guess, "NGW"s?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
WMFD's: Weapons of Mass Foam Darts. :crackup:

Don't forget to tape a light with a remote switch to your nerf guns... and get your friends out for a night game, but don't mention anything about flashlights to see if they even bring any. OMG the carnage!