I spent $30,000 in my first 6 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every light can be made modern with a LED upgrade. That's what I generally do and believe in - a light needs to be useful for me.

Shado doesn't mod his lights and I know he isn't interested in purchasing lights that have been modded - even if in still mint condition. That is commendable - and what a true collector does. If he does decide to open up a museum I will be right there in line.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... he isn't interested in purchasing lights that have been modded - even if in still mint condition. That is commendable ...
+1

A while back someone purchased a mint Ti PD-S & wanted me to mill a bunch of trit slots. I replied with a detailed email & suggested this would certainly devalue the light. There's not much that can be done to improve a Picasso.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
And some lights hold their value...look at a lot of the older Surefires. You can go on the MP and still find vintage SFs going for close to the same price they fetched when brand new, if not more.

Something tells me all those Spys will still be worth plenty, even years from now.

fastgun

Enlightened
I just spent 316,255 Lira this month. Got just 1 light.Does this count?If that 30,000 is US, more power to ya friend.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I'm guessing that Shado is finding that it's becoming increasingly difficult to add new lights to the collection. Other than clean sheet built-from-scratch full out customs there are few (if any) lights missing. This would be a cool "problem" to have ... contact PhotonFanatic & start by saying that the desired light is a one off unlike any he's built before. Distinctive yet tasteful. No price limit so Fred gets to do all the things he's never done.

May not be the grail light but it would be stunning :)

chriscoobs

Newly Enlightened
You guys are crazy..I think I am at $3K or so in the past 5 or 6 years and i think my purchases are excessive.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
You guys are crazy..I think I am at $3K or so in the past 5 or 6 years and i think my purchases are excessive.
That all depends on whom you ask ...

Significant others usually vote yes.

Most friends vote yes.

Co workers certainly vote yes.

That means nothing other than those three groups cannot be relied upon for a sound opinion :crackup:

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights sit quietly on the mantle and don't complain, or get jealous if you bring home a new one.

Anyone who collects girls is a man who didn't think things through.

You mean...a happy man with a thinking problem? :D

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No. A man with the jitters, shakes, and a nervous condition who'll likely die at least a decade earlier than he otherwise would have.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of posting what my approx annual expenses are on this hobby, but then I realized that it wasn't worth it because lots of people with opinions would tell me their thoughts on how I should be spending my money and how frivolous some of my expenses may be - especially since I've got others hobbies which may be even more frivolous. Ah well....... we all know how the saying about opinions goes......

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of posting what my approx annual expenses are on this hobby, but then I realized that it wasn't worth it because lots of people with opinions would tell me their thoughts on how I should be spending my money and how frivolous some of my expenses may be - especially since I've got others hobbies which may be even more frivolous. Ah well....... we all know how the saying about opinions goes......

Sad that people have to get involved with your life, isn't it?

As far as I'm concerned, more power to ya if you have it :)

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see the problem with spending $30K on a hobby if you can afford it. On the other hand, starting a new thread just to mention how much money you just spent and listing all the fancy stuff you spent it on strikes me as kind of tacky.

I mean, I could start a thread in The Cafe about how my stereo's worth twice what my car is, but I'd sound like a jerk.

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see the problem with spending $30K on a hobby if you can afford it. On the other hand, starting a new thread just to mention how much money you just spent and listing all the fancy stuff you spent it on strikes me as kind of tacky.

I mean, I could start a thread in The Cafe about how my stereo's worth twice what my car is, but I'd sound like a jerk.

I started this thread when my wife informed me how much was spent on my new hobby. Collecting lights is a great hobby, but you can get carried away with it. What I do spend on my hobbies is well within my means and very enjoyable! Like most guys, I like "cool stuff" or as you put it "fancy stuff" and share it with other enthusiasts. Perhaps you feel everyone who posts pictures or lists their collection is tacky or maybe just me? I wish you all the best with your car stereo hobby! I remember when I was 16 and my car stereo was worth more than my car, fortunately times have changed for me :)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one am not envious. Don't get me wrong, I would LIKE to have what you have but that doesn't mean I begrudge (is this correct) what you have. Mo power to ya :)

Status
Not open for further replies.