Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Help out family and friends
2. Buy more property (out of state)
3. Add a Lexus LS 430 and Toyota Tundra V8
4. Buy more flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
5. Invest for the future

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing... I'd be dead... I'm sure I'd die of a heart attack if I won (I don't play, maybe spent five bucks a year in the 90s, but not at all for the last 4-5 years), so the shock alone would kill me.

But assuming I did somehow overcome all the odds, I'd give the "Ex" enough to live comfortably, then buy a helicopter and the largest parcel of remote land that I could find and afford, (probably in the San Juan Mounatins in Colorado) and spend the rest of my life reading, writing and taking pictures.

I always figured that if God wanted me to be rich, he would just put a bunch of gold or platinum on my kitchen floor one night, so why waste my money on something that you have worse odds of winning than of being struck by lightning TWICE in your life.

DavidH

Newly Enlightened
I'd buy one of those really fancy coffee roasters and start roasting my own beans, to make great coffee to drink on the porch of my tropical paradise in the morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Actually, a friend and I promised each other that if one of us won, the winner would buy the other one a sushi dinner, in Japan.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
- Take care of my family and friends.
- Make a generous contribution to CPF, four or five digit number.
- Buy a CNC machine and persuade/hire McGizmo to run it, that way I can be first in line to every new light he makes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
- Make a CPF fund for flashaholics in need.
- Buy anything my heart desires.

Alex

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never play lotto.

On the other hand, I don't figure my chances of winning are any lower than if I did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go to my employer's office dressed like a giant chicken with a mexican music band and a squirt gun full of ketchup and show him what a chicken burrito really is...
...oh and tell him I QUIT!

stockwiz

Enlightened
If I won a million dollars (assuming no taxes or after taxes)... newly built $250,000 house with built in vault/underground survival area built out in the middle of nowhere somewhere, perhaps Montana or Western South Dakota. The $250,000 includes all appliances and the underground area with some sort of secure entry door, and also includes a windmill for power generation. I'm one who would live simple, and would not buy a mansion or spend beyond my means.

This would leave me $750,000. Of this, $100,000 would be used to purchase silver bars on the open market. I would take delivery of these bars and store them in the secure vault. This would leave me with $650,000. Of this amount, I would take $500,000 and invest it in high quality dividend producing stocks and trusts that yield between 7 and 10 percent a year. I know of one now that yields about 9% and is safe. This would give me residual income of $45,000 per year which would be taxed at 15%, which is the tax rate on dividends. Even if the 9% isn't met, and I get a bit less, that's more then enough for me to live on, keeping in mind the property taxes where I'd be living would be dirt cheap, under $1000 per year, because it's unlikely there would be a public school at all in the county I'd choose to live in.

That would leave me $150,000 to play around with, live off of, etc. I'd probably spend most of my time gardening and learning how to live off the land as much as possible and learning how to conserve every penny, which I'm already good at.

Given that I believe we are in for some hard times, much harder then anyone might realize, this plan suits me just fine and I'm confident I'd be able to make the money last my whole life without having to be a wage slave, or a white collar, or anything like that. Sound boring to you? Good, then I won't see the masses moving out to my area any time soon.

This must by why rich people always stay rich or get even richer. The first million is the hard part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif