I'M BACK!!! (from the Philippines)

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I\'M BACK!!! (from the Philippines)

Boy, does it feel great to be back! Actually, i came back on the 15th of August. This whole time, i've been relaxing, and re-gathering myself. I've been lurking on the board since i got back, but just didn't have the mental strength or desire to start typing yet. <gasp> does that mean my days as a flashaholic come to an end? DOes that mean i've been cured???

You know...i've been thinking about that very same question for the past two weeks. I just couldn't understand why i haven't had the desire, like i once had, to talk about flashlights. My trip/stay in the Philippines was very draining AND fulfilling at the same time! It was a very humbling experience as well! I have met some great people while i was there. Heck...i LOVE the people there in the Philippines. People there are VERY different that the people here in the States. I don't travel much...so i'm sure that's true in different countries as well. People there are very humble, and welcoming...words just can't describe it.

Some of you may remember my pre-travel rants about my trip to the Philippines. Let me tell you...the trip turned out to be nothing what i expected. People there aren't crooks and theives like people have made them out to be. I didn't have to clutch my belongings as i walked down the street. I didn't have to always look over my shoulder and keep an eye out for danger. The place that i stayed at in Manila was a place called Makati. Over there, they have security personel every 100 yards you go...in any direction. And the malls...WHOO...don't even think about stealing anything in the malls...HECK, good luck trying to run your way out of the malls. THere malls are filled with security personel. maybe two every couple of yards or so. Lets just say i felt safe...and all those precautionary steps i took before the trip were all a waste of time, money, and nerve.

...And the clothes...sheesh was i waaay off with my planning. I happened to stay in the city for the majority of my stay. So my shorts and slipper outfits were totally not needed; NOT even in the country provinces! DAMN...people were wearing jeans and long sleaved dress shirts in the hot, muggy, tropical weather. And when it rained, people still wore jackets and windbreakers in the 85 degree HUMID weather. I just couldn't believe it. Just when i thought i couldn't take anymore of the heat...there i see a kid walking down the street with a designer sweater on. BOY! have things changed since my last visit in '96.

ANYHOO....the biggest impact for me was to see my family again. My cousins, uncles, and aunties.
smile.gif
frown.gif
OOoh...how i miss them! THey are my life. Family values in the Philippines is very different that the values we Filipinos have here in the States. Family means SO MUCH more in the Philippines. Just imagine having your brothers and sisters and cousins over for dinner every other night. Just imagine your sons and daughters hanging out with their cousins 24/7 like BEST friends. OOOHH it felt so right being back home. I haven't seen them in over 6 years, and they made me feel like i've never left. Geez...it brings tears to my eyes...

Anyway, to make this a little shorter (for now), i hope you can see why i wasn't so quick to come back on board the CPF once i got back. I just felt that something bigger was occupying my life at the time. But now i'm getting back into the groove of things. I start school again tomorrow, and so that means i return to the fast pace of life here in the States again. I feel ready now too to return to the CPF. After lurking for the past 2 weeks i feel like i've missed alot. There are MANY new members on the board. And it looks like Saaby has really talked up a storm too HAHA.
grin.gif
I remember, before i left, that Saaby was just a new, VERY young, member. Now...he's talkin' up a storm. So is the new member named Cutter. 400 posts in 2 weeks?! That's amazing!

Anyway, now that i'm back on the CPF i hope to return to this great online family that i've come to love. You guys are great. Talk to you soon.

P.S. i'll be adding more of my thoughts and experiences about my trip later. Right now...i have to get some sleep before i start another round of college life.
grin.gif
It's great to be back.

Here is just a small picture of a nice view in the Philippines. GGEEEZ...look how green it is. I wish San Diego was this green...but alas...we are in a desert.
rolleyes.gif
frown.gif

fd54c79e.jpg

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Re: I\'M BACK!!! (from the Philippines)

Welcome back LEDagent! In some ways I view the group here as family also. I enjoy being able to seek out advice and information here. The lives and experiences in this "family" are broader than found in a biological family but we all share the "Joy of portable lighting devices". Sniff, Sniff. Again welcome back and thanks for the thoughts.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pretty Picture.

Glad everything went well for you there, and you got back safely.

Cutter

Enlightened

Originally posted by LEDagent:
Saaby was just a new, VERY young, member. Now...he's talkin' up a storm. So is the new member named Cutter. 400 posts in 2 weeks?! That's amazing!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmmmm.....looks like I'm making the headlines again.
grin.gif

Glad you made it back safely. But, from the look of that picture, they would have had to tear me away from that place.
smile.gif

I look forward to hearing/seeing more about your trip when you get the chance.

Dan out

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome back!

Always good to be on the right side of preparedness, even if it meant lugging a bit more than you had to-

It's always good to get back to work/school, where you can rest up for your next vacation- that's how it is for me, anyway!

Saaby

Flashaholic

In the end, how'd you armor your backpack?

Darell

Flashaholic

Good stuff, LED!

Do you love your Camelbak as much as I love mine? I guess I returned from my China trip just before you did. Sounds like you had a wonderful time - I hope you get get back there more frequently.

leddite

Enlightened

sounds like a good trip!

but...

no spiders? :> GIANT spiders?

where are the tales of flashlights? did you
bring 100's to give away to family, friends,
security guards, mall rats, and more? :>

we wanna know!

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome back!

So what did you end up taking? :)

-john

BrightShadow

Newly Enlightened

Welcome back... I don't really know you, but the trip sounded great. I myself would like to travel all over Asia. I'm glad you had a good time. My best friend is from the Philippines, and she loves it over there.

arab

Enlightened

Welcome back! Tell us about your freelight experiences?