Time change-Fall back- flashoholic season returns

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Apparently, back during Colonial days, candles were very expensive. To the point everyone was told to believe it was 1 hour ahead of Standard time for much of the year.
Somehow I feel that's no longer an issue these days. :crackup: Amazing how institutional inertia often results in totally obsolete laws or customs remaining in place.

Even back when it might have served some purpose, why not just move the start times of school/work back an hour instead of changing clocks twice a year? Back then especially it must have been a real pain.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, at least Nature doesn't get involved in it. Speeding up and slowing down the rotation of the Earth would really mess things up. Might give everyone whiplash. Who you gonna sue? :unsure:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
My state overwhelmingly voted to scrap DST in 2018...but here we are, still playing the stupid game. I'd rather have the light at the end of the day when it can be used for my leisure rather than work-related things. I have a USB-powered sunrise clock to wake me up in the morning.

How far from the clock are you? At my temporary condo, everything WWV/WWVB here switched over nicely. At my old concrete bunker they did as well thanks to Colorado being in the same direction as most of my windows.
Too far apparently. I've tried tuning into their signal on a SW radio and it's very weak with a lot of fading.

On the other hand, we had a GPS-derived clock at one of my workplaces where the antenna was actually indoors in a windowless room and it worked perfectly. I think this is the way to go for future "atomic" clocks.

Reactions: TPA

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Somehow I feel that's no longer an issue these days. :crackup: Amazing how institutional inertia often results in totally obsolete laws or customs remaining in place.

Even back when it might have served some purpose, why not just move the start times of school/work back an hour instead of changing clocks twice a year? Back then especially it must have been a real pain.
Oh, it gets worse. Remember NAFTA?
Mexico's President back then decided to show cooperation with America by adopting DST. The result? Mexican farmers wanting to know why all of a sudden they were forced to send their children off to school in the morning.... in pitch black darkness. Oops!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Changing the clock twice a year is good. A pleasure to get that extra hour as the nights are getting longer but we pay for it in the spring when the days are increasing.

Gets us to change our habits a little and we get to find out who the complaining curmudgeons are.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent extra money to get an Atomic watch so I didn't have to worry about setting it, and I could count on it always being correct. Usually that's the way it works out. Not this time. This time, my solar powered watch battery died during the night, so it didn't reset when it was supposed to, and by the time I got it recharged, it was past the preprogrammed time for it to listen to the radio signal to update. So, all day my watch was wrong. I just looked at it now, and surprise! it has updated, and it now agrees with the time on my PC. Now, will the battery charge last until the morning...

I am going back to an automatic watch. I've had it with this overpriced Casio and battery powered watches. Besides, I have an Atomic clock that works, and I can set my watch by it, or the PC. Adios, Casio.
Which solar/atomic Casio do you have? I've found the plain Jane models keep time well enough and the battery lasts long enough to not worry about it. Casio watches are my favorite. I always like the idea of an automatic watch, but I like accuracy and have zero interest in taking a watch in to be serviced. I'm enjoying the brighter mornings and don't mind the darker earlier evenings. Seems more wintery that way and yes more time for flashlights.

Attachments

• IMG_3712.jpeg
    IMG_3712.jpeg
    526.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited: