I'm building a new TITANIUM flashlight, I'd love your feedback!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great to hear your flashlight ideas!

Consider this:
519A is more than just a fashionable emitter, it is a performer. The dedome is also a winner.

Both 4500K or 5000K are good middle of the road, whatever you choose for color temperature.

The rocker switch sets you apart! Needs to be tough, and the shape of the flashlight at the switch needs to 'guide' the finger to the switch (see Zebralight flashlights).

Being able to easily know state of charge and internal charging are convenient. It will be interesting to see where your desire for simplicity and pursuit of excellence will meet up with your price goals.

Maybe the clip can be a part of how well your flashlight securely fits in the hand? Aluminum is hard to beat for the body of a flashlight. Titanium has its place for sure.

Not only a good color rendering (with nice red) but a low light level (ideally less than one lumen) are features many flashlight purchasers do not yet know they will like. You could help bring them satisfaction.

The Topo design you use is really nice and the handy graduated scale is useful.

There's more but leave it at this and consider sending pre-production units to some of us nightly users.

You have proven your capabilities with your utility blade creations.

Happy designing!

gravelrash

Enlightened
My OCD says that the clip needs to index with the rocker switch when the light is together. If they don't line up I will always know they don't.

Other than that I would like to see high CRI and low battery notification (like when an HDS blinks to let you know it's getting low).

I really like the look of the light - well done.

Chainsaw

Newly Enlightened
I love it! Depending on price, I would buy it due to style alone. I too am a guy who likes the powerbank option, which would come across as more appealing to the normal person, but it would also muddy up the simplistic style.

My two cents are simple, since the lights throwing capability is limited by both the head size and the Ti, make the Ti version the Nichia 519A. Yes you lose distance, but pickup impressive color distinction for the normal person. That could be the "fancy" model. Fancy emitter and metal.

Then you could put the SST40 in the AL version which increases both its distance and capability because of the material and emitter. Boom. Both economy model and very solid thrower as well.

Since the light is designed to be simple, throw 3 knurled "rings" around the central body, perhaps 5 millimeters or more wide. That would keep a clean simple look while adding gripping surface.

Keep kickin butt man! -GC

Marquis07

Newly Enlightened
One more thought. You stated earlier that the rocker switch just ramps up or down depending on which way you press it, and the tail switch turns on the light from whatever output it was on last. I bet you could set it up to have instant high and low outputs as well.

Hold rocker forward and then turn on tailswitch = Turn on at max output

Hold rocker backward and then turn on tailswitch = Turn on at lowest output

Turn on tailswitch = Turn on at last used mode

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF !

I like others would prefer higher CRI of the Nichia LED.

I'll throw the idea of a pass-around, to get real world review style testing and commenture.

Take Care
GL

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
I prefer higher CRI in place of higher output. I don't need any strobes or blinky crap. I just want light with adjustable brightness and a really low level.
Awesome, this is what I plan on doing, high CRI 519A domed likely, because our TiR creates a really nice center spot with some flood, it's just about perfect, personally. The UI is ultra simple, How it works: Hold Rocker up = smooth ramp up | Hold Rocker down = smooth ramp down. Tail switch has memory at whatever ramp setting selected and half click will trigger boost tactical without click. Double click up goes into boost, highest ramp, abnd double click down goes into moonlight mode. Literally NO other fancy features or any other confusing UI features.

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
Best of luck Josh. Looks like a winner.
Thanks so much man! Lots more testing, but even this prototype set is honestly quite nice! Can't wait for the finally improvements and production. Really looking forward to letting others enjoy this light. I am literally in love myself, which is a good first step. I will keep you all updated when I launch a pre-order at a 40% off discount or something.

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
One more thought. You stated earlier that the rocker switch just ramps up or down depending on which way you press it, and the tail switch turns on the light from whatever output it was on last. I bet you could set it up to have instant high and low outputs as well.

Hold rocker forward and then turn on tailswitch = Turn on at max output

Hold rocker backward and then turn on tailswitch = Turn on at lowest output

Turn on tailswitch = Turn on at last used mode

So actually, I forgot to mention, I added double tap UP goes to max output, double tap down goest to moonlight and this makes the light SO good...

Was thinking of adding 1 custom function where you triple tap, but hold for 3 seconds on the last tap at ANY light setting to memory a custom mode, then triple tap up for that custom setting... However I REALLY want to stay away from anything confusing, so I may omit this, or just not tell people about it, maybe it could be a secret hack for people haha... Just a thought!

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF !

I like others would prefer higher CRI of the Nichia LED.

I'll throw the idea of a pass-around, to get real world review style testing and commenture.

Take Care
GL
I would 100% pass this around to anyone! But I want to wait for some Niche prototypes, I only have a SST40 version currently... Unless you think people wouldn't mind testing a half baked product? haha.

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
I'm not in manufacturing "I don't even play one on tv" but 100 bucks seem very low for a TI light of this size.
I am thinking $79 for aluminum and $139 for titanium after looking at costs... Of course I will launch a pre-order launch at a sweet discount close to my cost to get the product in some hands, then word of mouth can push the product. This is what I did with the V3 utility knife we released and it has sold like crazy for 3 years straight with zero paid marketing. This is how I like to do it. Make it so attractive that just seeing a photo makes you want the product, then when it's in your hand it validates everything you saw... Hoping to really make this light a winner, not just in photos, but in real life!

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
Here's a few more photos I just posted up on Instagram. I love this thing! Getting samples of a 14500 version coming with the SAME style and UI. :) (One of the photos was a 6K SST40 sample, not my favorite, too much blue... The 5K SST40 is warmer and I actually really like it!)

Attachments

• DSC07947.jpg
    DSC07947.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC07955.jpg
    DSC07955.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC07974.jpg
    DSC07974.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC07943.jpg
    DSC07943.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC07934.jpg
    DSC07934.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 135

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally prefer a CCT of 4k-4.5k, and as high a CRI/R9 as possible with reasonable output.

Smooth finish is good with me. I can sand it for some brushed texture and add a bicycle inner tube piece to the mid-body. I have a Jetbeam with knurling so sharp it's like a file.

I use single protected 18650 and charge the cells outside the light.

ExceedDesigns

Newly Enlightened
My OCD says that the clip needs to index with the rocker switch when the light is together. If they don't line up I will always know they don't.

Other than that I would like to see high CRI and low battery notification (like when an HDS blinks to let you know it's getting low).

I really like the look of the light - well done.

Yes, these items aligning are very important. We are going to have to tap the clips individually for each one. Also, considered changing the shape slightly and clip likely will be shorter on production model. I think this would be nice, see attached.

Attachments

• 351490756_631420862266790_8626166563975093367_n.jpg
    351490756_631420862266790_8626166563975093367_n.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 92

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
fwiw, in some designs the clip is on the opposite side from the switch:
sc53c_n_1.jpg

I find it more comfortable to hold that way, with the clip against my fingers, instead of placing my thumb on top of the clip.

Suggest you consider doing your own ergonomic clip test... before committing to the clip position in your picture. (even though it looks nice in 2D, its not ideal in actual use, imo)

also suggest you consider a slightly raised bezel around the switch (maybe its already there). It helps locate the switch by feel, and adds protection from accidental activation in pocket.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
slider is spot on about a gate around the ramp rocker, and for thumb activation, slider's got it going on as well. But consider if a person chooses to use the pointing/index finger to change brightness. In this case might the clip being on the same side as the rocker have an advantage?

Mr. LED

Enlightened
I would consider purchasing if it had these features:
- very low moonlight (0.01 lumen like Zebralight and HDS), with a shortcut to turn it on moonlight from off when I need to, predictability is important
- ramping UI must have the right speed up/down to precisely choose the level needed, some UIs I have used start too slow then change to too fast, it's hard to use
- potted and rugged electronics
- high quality electronics components and switches (reliability)
- Nichia 519A 4500K high CRI
- option to run lithium primaries (2x CR123) even if at reduced power (they have a nominal 1.5A continuous current limit)
- low voltage warning
- if possible, the ability to check the battery's state of charge

Last edited:

Bradbn4

Newly Enlightened
For me, I like at least two modes that provide a nice low light and high mode that supports walking and longer battery run times. Low light would be between 10 - 20 & high mode would be 80 - 120. You get extra bonus points if those two modes could be "locked" in. Other power modes are fine; I just want something that is functional for walking the dog at night.

Rocker switch: I am worried about how water that top switch for use in wet conditions.

A good textured is fine; and is in many cases required. A good grip is important in hot & sweaty or high moisture conditions. A "cheat" method is to have a rubberized type insert.

The clip seems a bit bulky, sort of reminds me of a knife clip. If the flashlight can't be easily stuffed into a front pocket; is that clip needed?

Size wise: sometimes smaller is better; sometimes larger. The basic stone wash look works well; as long as rust is not an issue.

Note: The clip installed can provide necessary gripping surface. Even skateboard tape would be effective.

Note 2: too much texture on the flashlight might prevent it to being easily deployed from a pocket.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not heard of a driver that uses multi-cells and both sense the battery type installed that will provide active battery monitoring. I'm not for a multi-cell setup, it requires knowledge that beginners may not possess.
In the little I know, it would require actively setting the battery type ether manually or by means of an external
wireless charging cradle if it were to allow multi cell, multi type batteries and active capacity monitoring.
GL

RetroGrouch

Newly Enlightened
I love the look of this light and the thinking behind it:
  • Rocker-switch ramping
  • Simple, logical UI (No need to learn yet another version of Morse code)
  • No annoying strobes that might engage accidentally (Yes I'm thinking of you, RRT01)
  • Clean lines, no graphics (especially no italic fonts; a subtle logo would be okay)
  • High CRI 519A emitter (3500K - 4500K ideal for me)
  • No built-in charger (that needs an ugly port and may ultimately fail)
A lightly-crenulated head might be nice. Just enough so I can see when I've left in on, not enough to make it look like a Klingon weapon. But that might detract from its clean design, and I can live without it.

For me, the toughest part will be deciding between Al and Ti. Thanks for creating this!

Last edited: