Impressions - Malkoff P60 Prototype Drop-In (Pics)

AngryFish

Newly Enlightened
Daddy Malkoff & Baby Malkoff!
ff438204.jpg

Nice Emitter!
d99009a3.jpg

Rat6P

Enlightened
Those are absolutely sweet, and the way you've made the mag drop-in so it can contact with the body is nothing short of genius.

nice!!:thumbsup:

corbin

Newly Enlightened
Good initiative and awesome job, WHC! This list was exactly what I was looking for

Gene43

Enlightened
I have an idea (very scary!). I built a few thermistered P60's for test purposes. However they are very labor intensive and would be quite expensive. I was on Deal Extreme's website and saw they're Aluminum Cree Reflector Module Set (no emitter). Do any of you fellow CPFers have this? How is the beam quality? I might buy these in quantity, add my own driver, Cree emitter, and contact springs. Set up a High (1000ma) version and a low (500-600ma) version. That way I could insure my personal build quality and sell for a reasonable price. What do yall think?

Gene

Enlightened
I have an idea (very scary!). I built a few thermistered P60's for test purposes. However they are very labor intensive and would be quite expensive. I was on Deal Extreme's website and saw they're Aluminum Cree Reflector Module Set (no emitter). Do any of you fellow CPFers have this? How is the beam quality? I might buy these in quantity, add my own driver, Cree emitter, and contact springs. Set up a High (1000ma) version and a low (500-600ma) version. That way I could insure my personal build quality and sell for a reasonable price. What do yall think?

Gene

Hi Gene. It looks identical to the "$12.50" Cree setup they are selling minus the LED of course. I had to fit mine to my 9P head as did many others here. Here are some beamshots of the reflector in question.

After fitting.. Size difference.
Completed.jpg

Beamshots
9PCreeindoor_filtered.jpg

9PCreeoutdoor_filtered.jpg

Cree_filtered.jpg

Last edited:

Rommul

Enlightened

Gene

I know exactly what you are talking about.

I would be in for at least two units at 1000ma.

grnamin

Enlightened
I signed up months ago. I've yet to receive a single email from him.

Do you suppose the spam filter on Gmail is eating them? I've never had any trouble with it before.

Could be the spam filter or you can login to Gene's site and check the email address you registered just in case.

Last edited:

Gene43

Enlightened
Any more input on the Aluminum Cree Reflector Module Set (no emitter) would be appreciated before I decide to place an order. Just want your impressions (positive or negative) is all.

Gene

Last edited:

Enlightened
Any more input on the Aluminum Cree Reflector Module Set (no emitter) would be appreciated before I decide to place an order. Just want your impressions (positive or negative) is all.

Gene

I say go for it Gene. With the pictures I posted on post #85 I can only imagine what 1000ma will look like. It's probably going to have very nice throw and usable spill. More importantly they will allow you to put these badboys on the market much faster. The reflector set is less than $3 and solid for what they are if they are identical to the $12.50 modules. Buy a few and prototype. I'll be willing to T&E one of them and take it off your hands. :twothumbs

Rommul

Enlightened

Gene

I would be great if this dropin had the same/similar voltage range as the other dropins on the market (3.7-9.0) so people have a choice as to battery config.

In case anyone is confused Gene is looking to buy a bunch of these

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3257

and build modules at two different drive currents that we can purchase.

I am definately in.

Gene43

Enlightened
Yes, I would use my own driver, 3.7 to 9volts input for regulated output. Drops out of regulation below 3.7 volts.

Gene

EvilPaul2112

Enlightened
I recieved my drop-in on Saturday. Im very impressed with the construction and appearance. Gene makes a quality product. This baby throws light ! It has better throw with the same amount of spill light as the Wolf-Eyes 170 lumen. No doubt Ill purchase another for my other Surefire.

Thanks Gene !

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought several of the reflector kits from DX...and several cree mini stars. I also bought the 800 ma circuit board to use. Then I ordered a completed unit for $12.50 to compare. My home brew is stronger than the prebuilt unit. However, they only seem to draw around 550ma. I would go with a stronger board. THe reflector gives a nice smooth beam..not too tight of a throw, and a good clean spill.
I'm still learning...I had trouble getting the circuit board to stay in the base of the assembly. I finally used some hi temp gasket silicon that I had to glue in the board. Then I soldered a wire and jammed it against the body for neg contact. I'm sure Gene would make it right! Mine works pretty darn good...THey just need to be built right by someone with experience, and the drop in would be good.
Whoops! just remembered ..it's not exactally the same dimensions as some others. It won't work in my Wolf eyes...but I have a surefire G2 - and it works great in that. It also fit my Huntlight.

Gene43

Enlightened
Thanks for the information. I plan to build two versions. One with 1000ma output and one with 500-600ma output. The first one should have a runtime of 2-3 hours in regulation but only for intermittant use as it would overheat after 15-30 minutes. The other would have around 5-6 hours regulated good for continuous use.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok. So i'm trying to decide. Out of all of the lights that take the P60/P61 sized lamps. Essentially it will work as long as the input voltage is within the specified limits. Since this dropin is thermally limited as far as runtime goes, i will just stick with the 2 cell option. Also, i think the 3 cells are too much voltage.

So out of the 2 cell options. I'm going to assume that the nitrolon lights probably dont dissipate heat as well. So i'm going with the aluminum lights. I know i'll never get enough to the point that i can continuously run the drop-in. But i want to get as long as possible before the thermal throttle kicks in. So with that said... i've got choices of...

Z2, C2, and 6P. Have i missed any?

According to the SF website, the C2 and the 6P are the heaviest. Which is i assume because there's the most aluminum. Which one out of the two do you guys think would do a better job in heat sinking? Or does it really not matter at this point? The heads on both actually look the same. Will the body matter at this point?

DM51

Flashaholic
Thanks for the information. I plan to build two versions. One with 1000ma output and one with 500-600ma output. The first one should have a runtime of 2-3 hours in regulation but only for intermittant use as it would overheat after 15-30 minutes. The other would have around 5-6 hours regulated good for continuous use.
Gene, I continue to be impressed with your thinking on this, and when you do make these I would definitely like one of each. I hope you will post in this thread to let us know where the sales thread will be.

Alin: I think the WE Sniper 6AX with 2 x R123s or 1 x 18650 should be ideal for this. Plenty of aluminium so good heat-sinking, neat size, tough build, good quality, reasonable price.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast