In search for the ULTIMATE mutitool!!!

dandruff

Enlightened
this thread is sort of related to the earlier "best multitool" thread.

after doing some research, i have come to the conclusion that the 'best' multitool (for me at least) is the swisstool, and the ultimate swisstool is the swisstool cs plus.

now this led me to do a search for it at all my local dealers. however none of them seem to stock the cs, but just the swisstool x plus. im not a fan of ordering stuff over the net (appears on my dads credit card statement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

i really think that the corkscrew is an v important tool to have, thus my insistance on the cs plus.

so finally my questions:

1) Can u buy the corkscrew as a addon for the st X? (buying a $10 addon is a lot less offensive on a credit card statement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

2) which part of the tool does the corkscrew actually attach to (ie can the st X take the corkscrew, is it the same as the cs)?

3) can u fit the little eyeglass (another useful tool. always like coming to the girls rescue and fixing their glasses for them hehe) screwdriver into the corkscrew? like those in the swisschamp and some others?

4) i read somewhere that the leatherman wave tool adapter can actually be used on the swisstool. can anybody elaborate on this? is it really worth being able to use the tool and not just the L-shape thingy? sorry being a real detail sucker, but after all this is the search for the ultimate multitool...

ok, really hope somebody can help me out with all this. Thanks in advance

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
1): probably; I've ordered a new one at my local surplus store, it's been a month now...
2): I think all newer ones can take the corkscrew. I attaches to a "keyhole" on the outside of the handles, on the same part that acts as a spring for the pliers. If the X has a round hole there, you're out of luck, if it's shaped like a comma, you're go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
3): yes.
4): dunno. I LIKE the L-shape thingy, much easier to get at awkward spots and lighter & smaller. If you want high-tech, Victorinox now have a small ratchet too, that fits in the same place as the thingie.
5): Not sure if the X pouch has space for the corkscrew.

cryptoguru

Newly Enlightened
I think the leatherman wave, Gerber are the best around.

I carry a Leatherman WAVE and a Gerber

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh THAT one! PK's Swiss Army Rifle is not very EDCable I'm afraid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JohnJ80

Enlightened
ULTIMATE multitool - sorry to say it doesn't exsist. But the Almost Ultimate Multitools are the SwissTools (great choice) and a second place to the Wave. The new Wave this summer will probably be closer.

FYI, I have the Swisstool RS and the Wave.

j

greenLED

Flashaholic
It'll depend on your needs, but I swear by my Leatherman Wave for overall usage. Some people think it's too heavy for backpacking or other outdoor activities. Others miss the corkscrew. The new Leathermans ("Juice" I think) are smaller, and some models do have a corkscrew.

Gerbers seem too flimsy to me.

dandruff

Enlightened
"on your needs"

yeah i totally agree, the wave is a great tool but id prefer swisstool coz sixe isnt much of a concern for me.

anyways can anyone tell me what this swissarmy rifle is all about? i cant find anything!

mylan

Newly Enlightened
The Swiss Army Rifle is a rifle with lots of flaslights and if I remember correctly some knifes and a fork, probably some other stuff to. I can't find a picture.

Mylan

Deanster

Enlightened
like anything else, it's more about what you need than about the tool itself. SwissTools are super solid, and probably the strongest tools, but I find them too heavy for most uses, and vastly too frustrating to access the tools.

The Wave is lighter, smaller and not quite as robust, but easy access to most of the tools makes it a vastly better tool for me.

My 'Ultimate' tool, though, is the Leatherman Juice S2. I carry a multi-tool mostly for doing small jobs where I don't have access to larger 'real' tools, or where it's so small that it's not worth walking to the other side of the house for the 'right' tool.

The S2 is small, light, very easy to carry 100%, and by keeping pliers, wire cutters, scissors, flat and phillips screwdrivers, can/bottle opener and a small knife on me all the time, becomes truly my 'ultimate' multi-tool.

I only carry my wave now on 'project days', where I know I'm going to be doing heavier work.

'Ultimate' exists only in your satisfaction, grasshopper!

d'mo

Enlightened
I'm a major Leatherman wave fan as well. The only thing lacking for me are locking interior tools. I like the SwissTool, but it's too big for my tastes.

dandruff

Enlightened
haha yeah, it really depends on your personal tastes i guess.

trouble is i cant bloody find my ideal. One thing I have noticed is that i have only seen one swisstool with the comma shaped hole thing here. Maybe most of the places here have old stock? is the comma shaped thing standard on all new swisstools?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Deanster said:
like anything else, it's more about what you need than about the tool itself. SwissTools are super solid, and probably the strongest tools, but I find them too heavy for most uses, and vastly too frustrating to access the tools.

The Wave is lighter, smaller and not quite as robust, but easy access to most of the tools makes it a vastly better tool for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting view! The thing I like best about the Swisstool is that the tools are accessible even with the tool closed, and they do not clump when you pull one out. With the Wave, for most of the tools you have to first open the tool, then deal with the clumping as all tools swing out. Are you saying you're having trouble getting the tools on the Swisstool out?

Deanster

Enlightened
Sorry, I should have been more specific - There's something about the Swisstool that makes it hard for me to get the tool I want - it may just be that I'm too used to the 'clumping' and then selecting the tool I actually wanted, but somehow pulling each tool up seems frustrating to me.

I'm also not a fan of the locking mechanism - but that's once again personal preference. I think the Swisstool is a huge improvement over the early Leatherman PST and Supertool, but just not up to par with the Wave for ergonomics and real world 'usefullness', at least for me.

All that said, as noted above, I've largely given up on the big multi-tools for EDC. I either need a minimal tool for smaller projects (Juice), or I go grab my toolbox. My SuperTool now lives in the car, in case I need to attempt to rebuild the engine by the roadside, or whatever.

Deanster

Enlightened
Just FYI - I went and looked up (thank you Google) the weights of each unit, and the Swisstool is a whopping 10oz, the Wave 8oz, and the S2 Juice is a mere 4.4oz.

I was actually a bit amazed by the spread - it's enough that the Swisstool and Juice are really apples and oranges, or at least Lemons and Limes.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I was at Paragon Sports on Broadway over the weekend, wondering about upgrading from Leatherman Wave to Swisstool or SOG Powerlock. Both seem sturdier and have all locking tools, but at a significant size and weight penalty.

They are big enough not to fit in my Nitize Pockits, and weigh as much as the Wave plus a small light. While they have features to admire, I hate carrying stuff, especially heavier stuff.

Now, to consider moving down to smaller and lighter, i.e. Juice...

daloosh