Status
Not open for further replies.
4sevens said:
Handy,

That switch is completely different than what is on a Fenix. The Fenix is
a latching type. Also, your switch is rated 50ma!!! Typical Fenix
draws 750ma.
-4sevens

What are the rated specifications on the Fenix switch and what's the manufacturer's specified service life?

Leave it up to the readers to look at all the pictures and visualize quality.

4sevens, why do you follow me around on message boards?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
What are the rated specifications on the Fenix switch and what's the manufacturer's specified service life?

Leave it up to the readers to look at all the pictures and visualize quality.

That momentary switch is definitely rated no more than 50ma.
It's designed for electrical signals, not power. If you were to put half the
current a Fenix uses through that little switch, I'm sure it'll fail due to
overcurrent. it's not designed for that kind of current.

I didn't imply anything about quality. I'm just stating that you are comparing
apples to oranges.

What are you talking about following you? Why are you posting irrelevant material on Fenix related threads?

EDIT: looks like it's rated even less!! 1ma versus 750ma a Fenix uses
What is your point?

Last edited:
4sevens said:
It's definitely rated more than 50ma that the momentary switch you have shown. If you were to put half the current through that little switch, I'm
sure it'll fail due to overcurrent. it's not designed for that kind of current.

Data please?
I could say the pictured switch was for 0.5A, but I went by what was provided in data.
omron4tv9.png

I didn't imply anything about quality. I'm just stating that you are comparing
apples to oranges.
You could still compare quality.

What are you talking about following you? Why are you posting irrelevant material on Fenix related threads?

Everytime I post in a Fenix thread, it seems like you have to have a word in it.

jtice

Flashaholic
No Handy, I think YOU have to stick you nose into every Fenix thread lately.
You are right on the edge of Baiting here.

You posting that switch, had nothing to do with the fenix switch,
seemed your only goal there was to try to point out that there are better switches then what are used in the Fenix.

~John

4sevens said:

EDIT: looks like it's rated even less!! 1ma versus 750ma a Fenix uses

What is your point?

Looks like you simply don't know how to read the datasheet correctly. Did you not see the notation "min."? That's an older print, but the newer print I was able to find seems to be more noob friendly.
http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/sw/2/b3w.html#Ratings

5<v<24
1mA < I < 50mA

"permissible load xxmA xxV min" means the the minimum required for reliable operation. If you were to use this switch for 1uA 0.1v, the signal output might not be reliable.

My point is there are better quality switches out there and certain the expectation for switch quality is higher on a $45 flashlight than a cheapo light.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
You point exactly, that switch was designed for signal and NOT power. Those are debouncing specifications that are required for signal reading.

Reading you better quoted specifications, that switch is actually terrible for anything
passing through current through it due to it's high contact resistance.
0.1 ohms at 5v. If you were to actually use that switch in a fenix, you would lose
significant amount of energy through that switch.

You keep pointing out switch quality difference, but how can you point out the
difference if you don't have your specification right? You don't even have the specification for the fenix switches so how can you keep saying ... "My point is there are better quality switches out there and certain the expectation for switch quality is higher on a $45 flashlight than a cheapo light."

My point is this. You are comparing apples and oranges. 1) the switch isn't even
the latching type. 2) The switch is a signal type switch is not designed for conducting
power.

What exactly is your point?

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice said:
No Handy, I think YOU have to stick you nose into every Fenix thread lately.
You are right on the edge of Baiting here.

You posting that switch, had nothing to do with the fenix switch,
seemed your only goal there was to try to point out that there are better switches then what are used in the Fenix.

~John

I'd have to agree with this totally. I started this thread and don't recall anything mentioned in my original post about posting pics and info about other switches. This thread was simply to show how the inside of a Fenix L1P switch (reverse clickie) was made and nothing more.

*Retired*
Handlobraesing,

I've actually used those types of OMRON switches, and they are most definitely not going to hold up very long at 1A thru them.

Your switch would most definitely be something prone to failure in this application.
Your example is like stating a BMW is really high quality, and is better than a tank. But not understanding that the BMW doesn't hold up well when it is hit by 50 cal machine gun fire.

If you'd like to be helpful, go find a latching push switch that fits within the form factor, handles the current, rated for 1,000,000 cycles, and is in the 1 dollar range or less.

NewBie said:
Handlobraesing,

I've actually used those types of OMRON switches, and they are most definitely not going to hold up very long at 1A thru them.

Of coruse they're not gonna be reliable with 1A through them. How do you find the quality of construction of the Fenix switch srvctec found to be unreliable compared to the OMRON?

Your example is like stating a BMW is really high quality, and is better than a tank. But not understanding that the BMW doesn't hold up well when it is hit by 50 cal machine gun fire.
Not considering the application, you can still compare the two for quality of build.

If you'd like to be helpful, go find a latching push switch that fits within the form factor, handles the current, rated for 1,000,000 cycles, and is in the 1 dollar range or less.

On a $45 flashlight, I would have thought it could use something that cost more than a 99 cent Cheeserburger.

Status
Not open for further replies.