Introducing an EDC 2-Cell LED Light (CAD) SPY005

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing an EDC 2-Cell Light Feeler(CAD) SP

follow-up on the 30mA limit.. i should have said that with each of the 4 or so different switcher drivers i've used both boost and buck i did not get stable output below about 30mA.. with a certain variation of the nano LDO driver i could hold output like 3 mA without a problem..

The opamp gain gets ludicrous if you hvae a circut that can handle both low and high current on the low side.. if there is a circuit that can handle 1500 ma and also do 10ma than somebody did some masterful engineering.. kudos.

dat2zip's good.. i've never tried to use one of his drivers with low output.. i hope the switching is done 'high level' and not switching the sense resistor..

one thing.. if you have set resistors for each level it'd be neat 'cause us modders can tweak the values after the fact..

I'm thinking i would like to see something like this:
that' a 60% drop between levels purely logarithmic between levels 1 and 5 but 'overdrive' of 1500.. this would work ok for lux3 or K2 you can always 'hold back' to level 5 if you don't want to overdrive the lux3.

-awr

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Dave,
Thanks for providing the details on the heat sink. As you have it keyed and those "ears", I can see how it will work and I aplaud not only your design but the fact that you can make this!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif If anyone has a problem with your projected selling price, just suggest that they try to duplicate your product! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

On your O-ring and knob issue I have a couple comments. Dupont now has a dry teflon lube that seems to bond well to anodized Aluminium and it could easily enhance your friction concern on the body side of the O-ring. I must admit that I am used to working in +/- .005" and in some cases calling out +/- .002". It would seem that you are going to be able to hold your tolerances much tighter; again, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif However on the O-ring itself, I think you will find, or I have been told, that the metric O-rings hold much truer to their dimensions wheras the dash SAE parts could well throw your .007" out the window. I have used a few polyurethane O-rings as I really like the material and expect it to be superior to the EPDM and silicone in terms of durability and abrasion. Buna will crack from O-zone unless it is kept lubed and protected. It's a bummer because that is the most common material and certainly the metric O-rings are available typically in Buna.

Just ignore my comments and question on the other heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AWR,
I am a dummy in the electronics side so I defer to Wayne Y., Newbie, GeorgeS and the others. I do know that I can take the Wiz2x2 down to 18 mA and possibly further if I had the right resistor. I have also taken it up to 1500 mA. I have not done a single driver with this range as it would be silly beyond proof of concept. However, maybe I should do one just because! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif On this light, I think the lowest level should be what ever the realistic low limit of the driver can handle. I think 6 levels has 3 levels more than needed so what the hey!

I would try:

And then measure the lux at the various currents and tweak the current levels for a good light output ladder. I expect that the lower currents will see the greatest effect on light output changes. It would be easy to plot the lux on a bench supply with the intended reflector and get some targets ahead of time.

This is going to be a cool light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
This is going to be a cool light!

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely! Standing by ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gifGood stuff!

Karl

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks you guys.

thankyou.gif

MY

Enlightened

I like the side by side design but have you considered using an AAA or AA battery configuration? It seems to me that using AAAs would make the design slimmer but still give you the overall shape for the dimmer module?

Regards.

MY

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

MY

One of the basic requirements for the SPY is it works with both primary cells as well as rechargeable cells. In either case the SPY can drive the emitter to 1500mA.

AA cells may be slim but they would make the SPY longer.

Cheers
Dave

Grumpy

Enlightened

I have not read the whole thread and this might have been mentioned already.
Can you just make the battery cover longer instead of the body of the flashlight longer in order to use Pila or similar cells? It seems to me that that would be a much easier and less expensive way to accomidate different cells. You could just remove one cover and replace with another quickly.
I like this design very well and will probably own one shortly after they are releised.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

i like the idea of a longer cell variation but it doesn't look like a simple battery door difference would work unless i missed something.. that is a really neat idea though.

-awr

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

Grumpy

The battery compartment is just slightly larger than the two CR123 cells. The OD is .804 and the ID is .668 but I am thinking of moving that ID to .672. I am not sure If I need to or not. What do you all think? The blue rechargeable cells that came with my LC would fit in the .668. There is that part of the battery compartment that is open and the thicker plastic seams on some batteries can just stick out there.

The rear-cap fits inside the back of the battery compartment and is not big enough to fit over a cell larger than .582 in diameter. I really never contemplated making the light longer via a different end-cap. It is a some what simple matter to make the body longer for the longer batteries. All the guts just slide right out of the SPY no tool needed. So the longer body would only need its own knob!

Cheers
Dave

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not too sure where the 30mA limit came into this thread.

I've got a driver on the bench that has a 1mA drive and 1,000mA drive and is very stable.

I think the question here is the basic design and what it was designed to do. I can easily see a design that could go lower and higher in range if one so desires. I've done diode bias with 9-10 decade range control in the past.

Wayne

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

awr and McGizmo, I am getting closer. This is what I like for current levels.

If you drop by:
33%, 60%, 65%, 70%, 90%
1500, 1000, 400, 140, 42, 4

I have a TW0K that I have been playing with and I was able to drive it down to .4mA before it went out. That is neither here nor there because at that current it is not keeping up with a lightening bug. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

4-5mA is close to the level I want at low. In a dark room or tent it puts out enough light to see by. It can be used as a night light at that level. And will not be so bright you will need to turn it out to get to sleep.

Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just as a point of curiosity I wanted to compare the low setting on the LC. The LC is driven with PWM so I needed to match its output.

The way I matched output is I set the two LEDs side by side in a dark room and let them both shine a shadow of a pencil on a white piece of paper. Both LEDs are bare(no reflector). I put the LC on low and adjusted the other LED with the bench supply. When you get them both running at the same output it is obvious because the shadow from each will be the same level of dark. Anyway that is how I came up with comparing what the low of the LC is in direct current.

The value came out to be 8mA.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is general information for the all to likely scenario of the K2 emitter not being available for the December roll-out.

The LED-mounting-plate and wire termination PCB (from McCapsule) will all be glued together with the Luxeon III LED. Mounted this way I can guarantee perfect LED alignment. Next year when I send out the K2 field upgrade kits*, the K2 LED will already be glued to a new LED-mounting-plate and new wire termination PCB. This makes it easy for the user to unsolder the wires and solder the new package in place.

Some users will not want to do any soldering. I am planning an upgrade path for them that is easy too.

spy65.jpg

* the price of the K2 field upgrade kit will be equal to the price of the kit parts only(K2 LED, PCB, plate, etc.) . The kit will include a new reflector if one is needed to work with the new emitter.

Dave

paulr

Flashaholic

I like the idea of a 2x17650 or 2x18650 version. It wouldn't be EDC but it would be a great bike light with several hours of runtime per charge.

Also, an internal charger would be a great thing in a light like this.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am off on vacation for the next week and a half (8-6 to 8-17). Going to Disney World.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

We are driving with the two kids from PA to FL, wish us luck, we need it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

Cheers
Dave

Grumpy

Enlightened

I am interested in buying one of these when they are available. I really like the side by side battery configuration.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

Back from vacation. It was great. Disney's Animal Kingdom is the most amazing zoo I have ever been to.

HV1T7300.jpg

I have been working on details of the design and CAM work over the last three weeks. Machining will start on the first prototype today. I should have pictures posted soon.

Cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.