• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Introducing: Groovy! CNC-123, the prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNC Dan

Enlightened
Hi All. Glad everyone is pleased with the new design.
Fred and I have been working on this for some time now.
There has been a lot of going back and forth with new ideas, diferent features, diferent styles etc.

I have had to make three custom thread gauges to check the threads before the Ni plating goes on. (much thicker than usual)

I think I must have drawn all three parts, over 10 times each.
And I have re-written the NC program a few times too.

Each revision bringing us one step closer to the groovy new design.
It has been a chalenge to add little details, keep the clean look, and not run the production costs through the roof.

We hope to start production in the near future.
We are getting a lot of jobs at work lately, and I have had to take on some of my cow-orkers jobs to help them out. That means it could be a few weeks from when we put the order in, to when parts start to get made.

Oh, andrewwynn, The grooves on the body go halfway through the wall thickness. Some of the grooves are over the Kroll threads, and some are over the rubber boot.

Dan

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looked like that's where the tail grooves are.. they are a nice balance of depth and strength.. are they exactly a mirror of thickness and distance from the end as the front grooves (it does seem that way).

After playing with the photon fanatics i bought (bodies).. i can see why charlie made the VIP with thumb holes to get to the switch, but i can't really say it's that necessary i definitely like the look of this CNC groovy.. i wouldn't change a thing on the shape.. only if it's possible to get rid of the only visible seam on the body... which of course requires two more NC program changes at least.. one for the head, one for the body.. i was very amazed at the speed at which you did a turnaround on the re-done bezel.. i thought i was making a suggestion for the *next* light not this one when i first emailed Fred. Kudos

-awr

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan and I had a chance to reconvene and review the many suggestions that we've received and we have decided that we will work a bit harder to get the best possible light with the cleanest design we can.

So, it is a go at getting rid of the last starkly visible seam on the light. Unfortunately, that means that we'll have to delay the introduction by an additional couple of weeks, but we think that the delay will be worthwhile.

In the meantime, we are toying with the idea of having a limited number of engraved serial numbers on the nickel plated version, along with the buyer's CPF nickname, or your real name if you prefer. That would be put on the very front of the light, the bezel, and should be very subtle and should not detract from the clean lines of the Groovy.

Any interest in this idea?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sign me up for a personalized model.. especially if you can pull off losing that last groove... Must be 'saying something' if a 'from scratch' light designer wants to jump on getting one.. kudos.. it's mah vel hus.. might even say 'fanatic' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just need the body.. have an 'extra special*' emitter enroute that needs an extra special home... although an appropriate length .55" diameter slug of copper or aluminum would be nice.

My initials (awr) or my cpf handle (andrewwynn).. laser engraved like the iPod, or traditional scoring.. i like subtle just fine.

-awr

* a fellow cpf'r needed a helping hand for christmas.. i was rewarded with an unheard of trade.. i could tell you more but i'd have to keep you bound up 'til you forgot. VW0J .oops i may have said too much. Hope the tradee can appreciate how awesome it was to return the favor so richly.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll definately take a serial #'d one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Let me know when you hash out the details of what is going to be put where and i'll give you what i want on the light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll taek a complete turnkey. Im hoping you'll have a few options as far as sammies. But if not i'll take whatevber you offer. I was prefering a BB500 and a TYOL. Because i like HID type tint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I like that shiny smooth finish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goooood morning Mr. Bulk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You going to jump in on one of these too?

Shane

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man, now could I missed this thread for the last couple days. I knew I was missing out on something.

Where do I signup for the nickel plated ones?
I want/love to have #32.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think there is an official list yet, But awr is first, i THINK dasfx is second, and i am third on the serial #'d ones. Im not sure if dasfx wanted a #'s one or just an empty body. I dont think the run would get up to 32 before they redesign the thing to eliminate the seam. So if you want one of these you might be stuck with a lower # like, 4, lol. wish i had the #1 spot though, would go good with my CPF orb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok if PhotonFanatic and CNC-Dan will sanction this as such, here is the official sign-up list

#1 andrewwynn
#2 dasfx
#3 Hallis
#4 ensig (wants 32 if run is that large)
#5 arewethereyetdad
#6 karlthev

Shane

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me clarify that we will put engraved serial numbers (and possibly your name) only on TK lights. What would that TK light be you ask?

It would be a nickle plated Groovy! with IMS 17mm reflector, Borofloat lens, a sandwich running either 500 mA or 750 mA with a TW0J Lux III, and the Kroll switch.

The only exception I will make to getting a serialized light, that would not be a TK, will be for andrewwynn, who has helped us considerably with the design of the Groovy! Thanks Andrew!

So, if we want to start a list, I'm willing to do that. Thanks to Hallis, we have the start of one (but everyone on that list should e-mail me at the address in my profile to confirm that they are willing to buy a serialized TK--if not then your # will be open to someone else).

The decision regarding whether your name gets put on the light will come later, once I get some engraving quotes. The serial number will be a definite, the name is a maybe.

I am going to start this list based upon your indication of interest since the start of the thread and not from when I mentioned that serial numbers might be available, I think that is fairest to all concerned. Note that these are just indications of interest, and not a legal contract, folks. You are not obligating yourself to buy here!

So here is the official list (to add your name and number, just copy and paste including your choice of number). We will do no more than 200 serialized lights, although we do hope to produce more than that.

#1 andrewwynn
#2 LitFuse
#3 greenlight
#4 LaserBurns
#5 arewethereyetdad
#6 3rd_shift
#7 mut
#8 flashlight
#9 Hallis
#10 Dr_Joe
#11 DavidR
#12 Icarus
#13 cgpeanut
#14 leadfoot
#15 skr
#16 karlthev
#17 dasfx
#18 gadgetometry
#19 MrBulk
#20 peu
#32 ensig

If some of those folks are not interested in a TK, then those serial numbers will open up to others. PM me if you do not want to be on this list, please. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts