iPhone X is here;)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I don't think apple is looking to make the X as a huge-mungous block buster, but instead a limited edition tenth anniversary type of thing. A celebration of just how far things have progressed since iPhone 1.

It also seems to be a trial balloon aimed at a certain audience, and not the masses.

Apparently unlike most iPhones the X will take a lot longer to build each one... like only a few hundred a month versus the usual thousands per month.

Will it be a flop? Probably not. Being available in 50 countries, there's probably plenty of folks who'll buy it.

It seems at the 'kick off' demonstration it did exactly what it was supposed to do... lock out.
Apparently several people had tried to get the phone that to turn on using their face and it was set to recognize that poor fellow who ended up embarrassed... and only him. By the time somebody handed it to him it had placed itself into a safe mode. So when you read how it failed at the big shin-dig that's why.

I'm an android user who aint bothered by the $1000-1500 price tag one bit. I just prefer android stuff.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I guess these days a big smartphone can basically act as a full computer
You can get a really powerful unlocked Android smartphone
it's Apple so you can't even put a big supplementary micro SD card in it because... Apple.

These are the comments section points from a decade ago; the smartphone killed the desktop, only programmers were anxious about the walled garden, iCloud opened in 2011. It's an OLED display and cameras with depth recognition, dude don't get a Dell..

And no one is paying attention to the fact that the Apple Watch now has LTE, which when paired with Airpods means you can take a phone call, check your mail, have Siri send some texts, all without having a rectangular thing in your hand at all.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
For sure. I mean, I'll always have to have (and want to have) a much more capable full-fledged PC style computer just because it's so much more user oriented for actually creating and being productive, but I definitely do think there are people out there these days who could get by with just having a really nice smartphone. For just "consuming" content a nice tablet or phone definitely does most things.

I think smartphones and big tablets "killed" PCs for certain types of users for sure.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the iPhone 7 so I'm not going to upgrade anytime soon. However, I'm also not super excited for unlocking using the face recognition feature of the X yet. Even if it is more secure and is plenty fast I don't see how it could compare to the fact that with TouchID you can unlock your phone before it's even fully out of your pocket. By the time the phone is anywhere near my face it is ready to go with TouchID.

I guess if it's instantaneous then maybe there won't be much of a delay when you start to look at the phone so it won't matter too much, but we'll see. The other issue is that to close an app there is now a gesture, right? That also sounds a little less reliable than just hitting the home button to close apps. Maybe it will end up being a great system so I'll wait and see, but right now I have some doubts about it being a better system.

BazzH

Newly Enlightened
Not only is it nog enough of an upgrade for my current iPhone. They sell it here for more than 1300 EU, cheating us out on more than 300 EU for nothing. Theft.😡

ven

Flashaholic
With all this talk i have looked a bit closer to the 8plus and X..............i would be telling fibs if i said they dont appeal. Like the design of the X but still cant see me investing that kind of money. The contract I am on can be upgraded at anytime, basically just pay off the phone(not the talk/data). As i change my mind at times like the wind, i cant rule out this year................would say unlikely as pretty happy with the 7+.

The face recognition looks cool and no doubt will grow over time to be awesome! The way you control the emoji's is a novelty but hey...........small minds n all :laughing:

I can just see myself gurning to unlock my phone:duh2:

See what the 8s+ will be like next year...............better deal on the 8+ as well by then:whistle:

I recently purchased a refurbished 6S for the sum of $366. ..... Drops the mic and walks off stage.

Seriously though, for me anyhow, paying for and carrying a $1,200 phone is nuts! I liken it to carrying a $2,000 sidearm when a $500 one will do. Or a $5,000 watch, or a $200 pair of jeans, or $300 for sunglasses. etc. etc.

The only exception is my B.O.S.S. 70. But it's still pretty reserved when compared to a Tri-V. Oh, btw, my 60 year old eyes like the real estate of the 6S, but my hands and pockets miss the size of the 5S.

~ Chance

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ My prescription glasses have $500 lenses in $14 frames. But I typically keep the same strength prescription for a few years.
I bought some plastic lenses to replace a 15 year old pair with glass lenses when I needed bi-focals and they talked me into nano this and mega that. The cost came to $350 with frames. Well in my job dust is normal. I noted they were dusty and wiped 'em off using my old faithful t-shirt mode. MISTAKE!! $350 glasses ruined the first day I had them.
Well I went around with those spider-web'd lenses for about a year and decided to go back to glass. There are only a couple of companies doing glass anymore. One was a Canadian company that uses Karl Zeiss glass. And they have a computer operated method of doing the tranistion from near to far... all the way to the outter edges. Amazing once I got used to it. Now the reason for the $14 frame was because it was the only frame the place had that I liked. I bought 3 of the same frame in case the one I wear breaks. 6 or so years later I still wipe them with a t-shirt and except for a slight knick in one of the lenses they are still scratch-less. Money well spent in my view.

So the other day this lady says she's going to buy her husband an X so that while he is sleeping she can hold it over his face to unlock it and check his texts n stuff...

So X owners... if you're cheating on your partner and own an X, sleep with a ski mask on...

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Nah they said a sleeping face won't unlock it actually. But who knows?

I got the 7 when it came out last year so I have at least a year until I upgrade again. It's a business writeoff for me at least. At that point maybe my dad will have killed my old 6 I passed down to him and will need my 7. Lol

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The other day a noted iPhone expert said the thing has like 3000 sensors or points or something, so it is apparently pretty good at not falling for a fake (yet anyway)

It knows when your eyes are open or closed, the animojis reveal that:

cSpwFxS.gif

ven

Flashaholic
Laughed out loud. :) Not many guys could pull off the man-chain, but it looks good on you. :thumbsup:

~ Chance

Had to look back to see ................:laughing: Takes a brave man to take a pic like that...............especially when your daughter is asking why your doing it!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will likely upgrade from the 7Plus to the 8Plus. I use it for work. In fact, I use it so much, I have to have a charger on my desk and a sometimes, one of those cases with the battery built in. The X just doesn't seem like it is for me. I am not particularly excited about the facial unlock stuff. I will wait to see how well it works. I really like the finger print. But, time will tell.

As a gift to me, my wife got me the AirPods for Christmas. I was not a fan of them and actually said, I would not buy them plus they are way too expensive. They seemed to easy to loose and I thought the charging of the batteries would be a pain. But the batteries seem to go a great time.
Well, I can say after several months of heavy use, I freaking love them and I would never go back to wired ones. For me, they are pretty amazing. The sound is great (to me). Amazingly good for what they are actually. My hearing isn't all that good (too many gun discharges :xyxgun: & outdoor tools). So I can't really tell the difference in super expensive headphones and cheap ones.
They even work great in a convertible or boat at speed. I am talking about using the microphone while on the phone. I can use them in a vehicle with the top down at speed and people can't tell I am driving. The ultimate hands free for me. Hands free in a convertible in the past has been a pain.

So, I have also held off on buying a Apple Watch. The first version wasn't water resistant, the Second was water resistant, but you still had to have your phone all the time. This new option of the watch using cellular data sounds perfect for my use. I pre ordered one the other day. I am pretty excited to try it out. We shall see.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I want my watch to show me what time it is... perhaps even what day it is...

But to tell me whose on the phone, 'you've got mail' or how far I've walked today.... no thanks. Hell, I have half of that stuff turned off on my smartphone.
I tried the finger print thing, but that made me miss my flip phone with it's actual keypad all-the-more.

Yet a smart phone has me using a regular computer a lot less often. If motorola comes out with a projector key board and tweaks the 'movie projector' for the moto series I may not even need my laptop.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I want my watch to show me what time it is... perhaps even what day it is...

But to tell me whose on the phone, 'you've got mail' or how far I've walked today.... no thanks. Hell, I have half of that stuff turned off on my smartphone.
I tried the finger print thing, but that made me miss my flip phone with it's actual keypad all-the-more.

Yet a smart phone has me using a regular computer a lot less often. If motorola comes out with a projector key board and tweaks the 'movie projector' for the moto series I may not even need my laptop.

The Watch means you can leave your house without the phone, something you definitely can't do with your phone.

You're way too excited about those Moto add-ons; I'll admit that the projector would be pretty badass in a small cafeteria table situation at work during a lull, but short of that I can't think of a use for it. But the key to watching movies with a phone is earphones, the full-on theater sound is all there..

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Watch means you can leave your house without the phone, something you definitely can't do with your phone.

You're way too excited about those Moto add-ons; I'll admit that the projector would be pretty badass in a small cafeteria table situation at work during a lull, but short of that I can't think of a use for it. But the key to watching movies with a phone is earphones, the full-on theater sound is all there..

You got your likes, I got mine.

Get off of my cloud