iPhone X is here;)

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Is the facial recognition version? Never! Apple will build a huge data base of people's likeness, who knows what will become of what will become of that, and all a Cop has to do is point it at you, and their in, as they will do it no doubt. That's why the fingerprint version failed, and never worked that well. You want a combination to unlock your phone.

You would be insane to use a facial recognation system to unlock a phone.

Remember, you have no rights, this, your image, becomes the exclusive and direct intellectual property of Apple. Try suing them, they have skyscrapers full floors of lawlyers on Park Ave. not necessarily well dressed ones, but of course they went to Princeton, Harvard, Yale. A law degree does not come with Impeccable taste and the best Italian ties and French shoes, like a lowley photojournalist, but they bite hard!

Also, I am so sick of the CEO with the headset pacing up and down the stage, like a tiger, announcing the greatness of the new product... and the geek crowd cheering it on ,even they know it is nothing! I loved it that this one failed in from of everyone, I hate Applegooglefacebookandroid more and more everyday.

I have no social media presence, at all, and this is the only forum I go to. My next phone is going to be an old Motorola flip phone star something, I had one years ago, just a phone.

I really, really miss the 70's and 80's! And the 90' in the 1990's, if you did not make a fortune then, you won't for...who knows when? Andy Grove and Craig Barrett (look them up if you don't know who they are) the guy's who founded intel told me it will be 300 years before we see anything like the internet appear for people to prosper. And these guys were prehaps the greatest minds which led the Information Age. I compare it to the Railroad, that was like 200 years ago, but it built the United States, no railroad, not much of a country today. And, the internet moved it from there. However, the railroad did not keep track of your comings and goings.

Best,

RL

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Watch means you can leave your house without the phone, something you definitely can't do with your phone.

You're way too excited about those Moto add-ons; I'll admit that the projector would be pretty badass in a small cafeteria table situation at work during a lull, but short of that I can't think of a use for it. But the key to watching movies with a phone is earphones, the full-on theater sound is all there..
I am not giving up my Rolex collection, especially my gold Day Date, for a cheap-ugly-good-for-a-year-you-can't-keep-it-clean. Apple watch! Digital watches went out with powered wigs. You want a nice watch, that is the watch of commoners.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I am not giving up my Rolex collection, especially my gold Day Date, for a cheap-ugly-good-for-a-year-you-can't-keep-it-clean. Apple watch! Digital watches went out with powered wigs. You want a nice watch, that is the watch of commoners.

In my world RED the only Rolex watches are owned by drug dealers or they are fakes. Lots of Rolax watches around here. lol.

But the fabled Hamilton or perhaps a classic Bulova are often seen on the wrist of those at the top of the food chain in my world.

Generally the majority of apples are in a fruit bowl and smart watches are strapped to the wrist of people wearing spandex that is waaaaaaaay to small for their corn fed frames. (Or well tan'd lawyers wearing wrinkled Matlock suits and Panama Jack hats)

My company encourages fitness in exchange for discount insurance premuims, and I'm all over that... but my little monitor rides in a trouser pocket since in my view it's nobodys business how many steps I took today. My wife wore a smart watch for about 6 months but decided she prefers her old Bradley Mickey Mouse watch and time away from all things internet.

Now a couple of coworkers have mentioned acquiring an Apple X and asked my opinion. When I tell them about the potential for intelligence gathering you mentioned RED it'll probably fall on deaf ears. It's going to be a great device no doubt, and I'll enjoy getting to play with them whenever they arrive, but all the techies I know are saying the 8 plus is the way to go if you want an Apple phone. The Android geeks are sticking with the Samsung S8 and not opting for the Note 8, and many still miss the "Blackberry".

I read some 10 years ago that by now the smartphones would replace personal computers. The prediction was that there'd be virtual screens and keyboards. It's why I gave a Moto Z a try. I never had a minutes trouble with past Motorola devices and like carrying a fairly thin chunk of alluminum with gorilla glass on the front. To be able to couple another battery to it and only be about as thick as my former HTC with an urban otter box case was a plus. And perhaps Motorola will opt for the virtual stuff I read about in Popular Science back when.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
How big are these, the displays of 8, x etc. I miss big phones, but have to carry a tiny one, that barely fits in my pocket with the biggest most shock resistant case they make so I don't break it. Otherwise the bigger the better. 6" plus I can use as a tablet replacement.

A sleeping finger can unlock phones now.

What if I told you, you were participating in social media, right now?

morpheus.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
I thought the displays are the same as previous models,4.7 and 5.5" . The x appears to use all the screen(no home button)with the design, so no loses to boarders etc.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't pass judgement on the manner in which other people spend their money. I'm just struggling to understand the logic behind this device. It seems that the main selling point is facial recognition technology.

Does this sophisticated apparatus do anything besides unlock the phone? I paid $50 for my iPhone 5 about four years ago and I set a passcode when I want to lock it. It's not hard to enter a four digit passcode. Why pay $1000 to $1500 for a phone that recognizes your face? Just to avoid the strenuous effort of tapping four numbers?

Or do people find Animojis to be life altering?

gunga

Flashaholic
I like the idea of the x but I don't think I'll bite. I'm pretty happy with my 6s so likely will go for an 8 (really 7s) when my contract is up in 8 months.

For the money id rather get an 8 and a watch.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I don't pass judgement on the manner in which other people spend their money. I'm just struggling to understand the logic behind this device.

Stainless steel frame, OLED display (better-than-Retina on a phone,) wireless charging, larger battery, and the facial recognition can also be used in conjunction with the camera to produce artificial lighting that follows the contours of your face, a camera that creates its own light.

How big are these, the displays of 8, x etc. I miss big phones, but have to carry a tiny one, that barely fits in my pocket with the biggest most shock resistant case they make so I don't break it. Otherwise the bigger the better. 6" plus I can use as a tablet replacement.

A sleeping finger can unlock phones now.

What if I told you, you were participating in social media, right now?

View attachment 6278

So can a severed one.... just saying.

~ Chance

nbp

Flashaholic
If someone needs to get into your phone that badly, you have bigger issues - a severed finger might be the least of your worries!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Don't forget that the FBI was unable to open the San Bernardino terrorist's iPhone, and ended up paying nearly a million dollars to a shadowy hacker group who could only crack that particular older model and operating system. The concerns about the Internet of Things are valid, but Apple is still the creator of the personal vault that literally cannot be opened by anyone else regardless of circumstances..

StarHalo

Flashaholic
can the facial recognition be disabled in lieu of a passcode?

Yes, and it can be disabled on-the-fly; pressing the volume and power buttons together instantly disables facial recognition and requires the passcode, similar to how the SOS trick disables Touch ID on current iPhones.

You must present your fingerprint to unlock a Touch ID phone when instructed by a warrant, however the passcode is covered by the Fifth Amendment and you cannot be made to produce it by any means. Truly the vault that cannot be opened :)

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I remember reading that, you can use a pass code. However, all a Cop has to do is point it at you and they are in your phone. PLus, the generation of today will change the photos all the time, and Apple will have an amazing data base of people's images. I forget how many you need to get a match on facial recognition software , but, I just do not understand why you would want to in lock your phone in this manner.

Maybe this technology to be used to gain access to a room in a building that is secure, however, that is internally controlled, well until it is hacked!

I do like Apple because they would not assist the FBI in the San Bernardino attacks, but I do not believe the FBI or the NSA did not crack its codes. I truly believe that was a false story that they used dark underground hackers to do it.

The finger print thing thing is no good either. In my job I had a hig level project that used my thumb print, and pass code. Well one day is was just gone, and when I asked, they said it did not work and was a massive security breach. Pass code only needed from then. And this was big time security, not the local storeage lockers.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
A footnote to the thing about putting the code in your phone, I don't use a simple 4 digit. I use something like a 8 digit. I read somewhere that 8 plus is much harder to Brute Force break. Not sure why I would ever need that, but I do it.
Red, I hear ya on the Rolex. They are nice. Bought my first one in 1997 from Floyd & Green Jewelers in Aiken SC. (SS Sub with date). Now, I actually own 4. One for each of the kids when I die. lol However, none of them will play/stream my music. ;)

nbp

Flashaholic
Ummm, probably 98% of all iPhones have at least one selfie of the owner of the phone stored on them. If Apple wanted to collect pics of phone owners they could have started doing that years ago. I really don't think this introduces some great new invasion of privacy by providing previously inaccessible information. Furthermore, password protected online accounts of all kinds are hacked all the time. I don't know if they are inherently more secure than facial recognition. Most people use a code that means something to them and is easy to remember. With some basic data hunting it's probably easier to figure out your 4 digit code than to steal your face.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I use something like a 8 digit. I read somewhere that 8 plus is much harder to Brute Force break.

With some basic data hunting it's probably easier to figure out your 4 digit code than to steal your face.

The phone requires more wait time after each successive incorrect guess, and the phone locks completely after 10 attempts, meaning the data inside is lost forever. If the FBI can't break 4 digits, you're safe.