is MRC super Brain 959 charger decent ??

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody here have any experience with this charger? I am seeking a reasonably priced (way under 100 dollars) charger for a 6 AA Nimh pack to provide power for a ROP Mag mod pack. I will be using one of Fivemega's 6AA-2D packs and want to wire a charger with the proper plug to just plug-it-in and have it charge up properly without overheating the pack. I chose Fivemega's pack because of the jack provided and I want to simply buy a charger, change the plug on the charger's cable...and be ready to go. I have seen many sub-par chargers online, and the expensive ones too, but this one looks like a good compromise between quality and function, versus price-point. I am looking for some insight here from those of you in the know about such things. I am open to consider other units that are priced competitively and will provide the utility I am looking for. need help choosing, can anyone advise me please ?
:sweat::help:

Last edited:

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: is MRC super Brain 959 any charger decent ??

AtomicX said:
Does anybody here have any experience with this charger? I am seeking a reasonably priced (way under 100 dollars) charger for a 6 AA Nimh pack to provide power for a ROP Mag mod pack. I will be using one of Fivemega's 6AA-2D packs and want to wire a charger with the proper plug to just plug-it-in and have it charge up properly without overheating the pack. I chose Fivemega's pack because of the jack provided and I want to simply buy a charger, change the plug on the charger's cable...and be ready to go. I have seen many sub-par chargers online, and the expensive ones too, but this one looks like a good compromise between quality and function, versus price-point. I am looking for some insight here from those of you in the know about such things. I am open to consider other units that are priced competitively and will provide the utility I am looking for. need help choosing, can anyone advise me please ?
:sweat::help:
AtomicX:

That's a RC type charger, do a search here: Batteries&Chargers

Last edited:

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened

Yeah I would like to know if this setup will charge properly hooked up the way Iv'e described, or if it's a bad idea.

unclearty

Enlightened

In the RC world, that charger is not well thought of. For your application, it should work just fine. The complaint I've heard is that it easily overheats when charging a racing pack of 6 sub C batteries at 5 amps. If you set it up as you said, and charge at about a half amp, it should work fine.
We all use our chargers to charge our transmitter packs..which are 8 cell AA packs...and they work fine...just watch the cell temperature.

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
Thanks you for your insight and I think I will continue to look around for a better quality charger. I am trying to keep the price down as I know I will only be using it to charge the 6AA pack of Nimh so I can't justify an over 100 dollar (or even shy of it ) charger for just that. Anybody got any suggestions for a reasonably priced charger...I am open to all. I'd like something that will charge them while still in the Fivemega holder (I can solder on the appropriate plug) without overheating, then cut off or go to slight trickle at proper voltage. :help::help::help: You know, just unscrew the tailcap, pop out the pack, and plug in. Will be sweet...but what charger is the best choice ?

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Skillet... curious, are you using your's to charge a pack of 6 AA's Nimh ???
:help:

skillet

Enlightened
I charge four at a time.. but that is because that is the only size holder i have..

Actually, I charge 3 at a time with a dummy cell. (6 for my mag11). I am looking for a good battery holder for my Energizer 2500's.. The ones I have had so far are to small and tight for the NiMH batt's

Gordon aka:skillet

Germ

Enlightened
I have an MRC Super Brain 959 I was hoping to use with my Modamag 6AA-2D adapter. The charger works fine for the battery packs I use, but doesn't register anything when clipped to the adapter. I'm using Eveready 2500mah batteries. Any ideas why this isn't working?

Germ

Enlightened
Ok, duh. I found the alligator clips to the charger. I was using the big clips that I think are for hooking up to a car battery as an alternate power source. Using the alligator clips the charger appears to be working fine.