Is online Privacy truly gone?

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is Online Privacy Truly Gone? Google Requiring Cookies Turned On for Search

Online "Privacy".
25 years in the IT industry (US DOD, then US DOJ) I've come to one conclusion. "Two people can keep a secret as long as one of them is dead".

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Online "Privacy".
25 years in the IT industry (US DOD, then US DOJ) I've come to one conclusion. "Two people can keep a secret as long as one of them is dead".

... and there's no record of them communicating said secret nor any records to infer that said secret may have been communicated.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Bottom Line:

Yes, privacy online is pretty much dead. Don't post anything that you don't want strangers to see or friends, familiy, or your boss might stumble across.

knotgoofy

Newly Enlightened
Internet Privacy

I have had a lot of friends who have been hacked recently, and I can't help think that if it happened to them, it can happen to me. What can I do or what programs or software can I use to make sure that my privacy on the internet is secure?

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Re: Internet Privacy

Oh goodie, a thread about internet piracy. Bittorrent anyone?

Oh, it says privacy. :shrug:

heelsthrow

Newly Enlightened
Okay so I read all of the posts and found some very good ad blocking programs. But one of my computer savvy friends told me about something called *link removed by Greta
Could that assist in the fight against tracking?

Last edited by a moderator:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Just under 8 years ago I started this thread,
____We are at a point where Privacy is an illusion, not just online, but in public also.

A.I. will be the two letters that'll have more impact than anything

scout24

Flashaholic
I told my kids repeatedly growing up that you had no expectation of privacy once you're outside of your house. Everywhere you went had surveillance cameras, none of them use cash, just their damned debit cards. (This was before smart tv's, alexa, siri, and them having smartphones.) I fear today privacy within those four walls is gone as well for most people in the name of "convenience." My brother in law has a program or service where his IP addy bounces around all over the place and claims privacy that way. I don't know enough about it, but have my doubts.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In one word: Yes. It's gone and we gave it away. Every fakebook, tweeter, instachat and other social platforms are notorious for sharing info regardless how many security boxes you check.
Google, microsoft and apple too.

Forget the NSA, they like other government beauracracies are largely inefficient where private industry has mastered the sharing of data.

My dad used to say "what you say cannot be held against you but what you write down can and will be".

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Google & Facebook are at a combined value of approx. 1.6 trillion dollars.
That's not from people uploading cat videos..

We are in an A.I. world now & we likely can't unring that bell.

side note: I remember having dinner w/ my parents in like '04,, we were taking about the Patriot Act and they asked me my opinion.
I said basically that it strips away any sense of privacy we still had,, they really didn't care for what I was saying.
"if you have nothing to hide, what's the problem"

I said "that's not the point"

idleprocess

Flashaholic
One thing that concerns me that I saw coming years ago was the ability of law enforcement to gather evidence of online activity. It's now commonplace for news reports about ongoing investigations to state "suspect conducted online searches on X, Y, Z prior to the incident" in ominous tones. So libraries, ISPs, internet cafe's, the 'Zon, social media, and anyone else that can reasonably tag activity to individuals just give this up so readily now?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A cowrker in my field told me was suspended from his job of 42 years for 10 days without pay for something he said on his personal page of fakebook.
His error was to name the place he works at and a lady called there and complained about what he had said to her about recent political events in his state.

Me? I was born in 1911, live in Gnome Alaska and work for "the Man" according to fakebook.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
A cowrker in my field told me was suspended from his job of 42 years for 10 days without pay for something he said on his personal page of fakebook.
His error was to name the place he works at and a lady called there and complained about what he had said to her about recent political events in his state.

Me? I was born in 1911, live in Gnome Alaska and work for "the Man" according to fakebook.

I almost had to fire my best friend over a Huffington Post article about a lion being killed. It was rough.

Latest posts