Is this a tattoo era?

Illum

Flashaholic
"tramp stamps" .....lol. No matter how many times I hear that it's still funny to me. For whatever reason I've never had any interest in drawing on my skin and I personally find them unattractive on the opposite sex. To each their own I guess.

I have no idea what else to call it...that was the name of it I was told and certain matters I don't dare question:sssh:

Greta

Flashaholic
Why would anyone outside of a tribal culture want to purposely and permanently deface their body?

'Cuz they can... :D

Plus, it insures they'll likely never a job other than Taco Bell, or working as a bouncer at the local biker bar.

... or a heavyweight boxing champion ;)

I can appreciate a cool tribal on somebody's arm or ankle from an artistic standpoint. However, when the ink starts going past what can be covered via a T-shirt, then it starts going beyond 'personal expression and into the weird realm of 'personality expression'. Employers start cutting interviews short, etc. I've worked various corporations for years as a contractor, and *never* seen an employee with extensive body ink because HR *won't* hire them.

You should check out the MAJORITY of Apple employees! ;)

Just a personal preference, but I find girls and lower back 'tramp stamps' to be unattractive as hell, but lately it seems the trend is slowing down. A lot of moms out there who got their fancy artwork 10 years ago when they were 30lbs lighter don't look quite as attractive to younger girls who get a glance of the 'ink' when mom is bending over picking up toys in the yard :)

A friend of my daughter's had Papa Smurf and Smurfette tattoo'd on her lower abdomen when she was about 17 years old. Then she had a couple of babies. It was just downright scarey! :eek:

When I see people with:

1. Piercings, and/or
2. Thumb/toe rings, and/or
3. Tattoos

I also imagine a big blinking LOSER sign above their heads. I know it's not always true (I think), but it's close enough to work as a guiding principle - at least in my general area of the world.

I also just love it when peoples expressions of individuality becomes main stream - the sheer irony of it seems to totally elude them.

WOW!! I must be a HUGE loser then! I have all of the above! (2 piercings in other than my ears, 1 thumb ring, 1 toe ring and 12 tats (no tramp stamp!!))

And FWIW... all of my ink is original design. The only other person in the world with the same tat(s) is my daughter. We have 4 matching ones.

I don't have any tattoos, and most of my friends aren't covered with them. I'm certainly not looking to meet women with tattoos, but I don't hold it against them if I find one, later, after I get her clothes off.. I'd rather meet someone with a tattoo than a smoker, but they tend to go together. (People with poor judgment).

Hmmm... guess I have poor judgement too... :thinking:

All over the place, even the soccer moms are in this "style" trend. I've seen fresh ink on granny aged peeps...60+. Then in So. Cal, another land of massive cosmetic surgery, I'm not going to raise an eyebrow at what people do for the sake of appearance. ;)

Appearance? Most people with tats don't do it for appearance. Truly... I do mine for me as part of my "life map". Each of them means something to me and only me and "appearance" has nothing to do with any of them.

But... to each his/her own. I don't understand why some people would want to have hair on their face or hanging out from under their arms... :eeew:... but then that's just me. And I would never tell them that they are losers or have poor judgement. That would just be rude.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
.... I don't understand why some people would want to have hair on their face or hanging out from under their arms... :eeew:... but then that's just me. And I would never tell them that they are losers or have poor judgement. That would just be rude.

What's your take on nose and ear hair? :nana: :kiss:

(I wondered when you were going to step in here :D )

Greta

Flashaholic
What's your take on nose and ear hair? :nana: :kiss:

(I wondered when you were going to step in here :D )

Oh I have both of those too!! :nana: :kiss:

whipping.gif

Patriot

Flashaholic
I don't understand why some people would want to have hair on their face or hanging out from under their arms... :eeew:... but then that's just me.

Are we talking about boys or girls here Gretta....lol? Maybe you mean literally "hanging down" though?

As a guy who works outdoors in AZ, I can't imagine not having some hair under my arms. I imagine it would get pretty sticky! ;)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
As a guy who works outdoors in AZ, I can't imagine not having some hair under my arms. I imagine it would get pretty sticky! ;)
Just get rid of it. Trust me-it's much more comfortable (and far less smelly), especially if you're in warm weather. Looks better too although that's just my opinion. Truth is I've gotten rid of it from day one and never looked back. It just grossed me out but as a bonus not having it is a lot cleaner. If/when I have the money I'll probably get it removed for good via laser hair removal. Ditto for my facial hair. One of our former neighbors (female BTW) didn't bother grooming there and frankly it looked like she had a squirrel under each arm. :eek:

I personally don't think beard/body/underarm/nose/ear/pubic hair looks good on either of the sexes but that's just me. Amazing this day in age with more people going for the smooth look that nobody has invented an easier, cheaper method of permanent hair removal, something like a cream you apply a few times to just kill the hairs. I know Gillette wouldn't be happy about it but it would sure make a lot of people's lives easier.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing people don't seem to think about is how will this look as the years go by? A tattoo on smooth, young skin is one thing. But how will the same thing look when these people are 137 years old (yes, today's youth are likely to live that long or longer given some of things I'm reading about)? Unless we can keep people eternally young, the answer is not very pretty.

Everything will look bad at 137 years old, not just the tattoo :eek:

Regards,
Tempest

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read this thread yesterday and decided not to respond at time, but after thinking about it, I maybe have a thought or two on the subject.

First of all, I really don't think it's wise to be all judgmental about people who get tattoos! All sorts of people get tattoos, not just "losers" (as witnessed by our very own fearless and mutli-talented leader, Greta!).

Second, the notion that the body is a temple and you shouldn't desecrate it, really cuts the other way too: the body is a temple and all temples have markings and signs that are significant to those who worship there. It isn't because the statues or words or signs are pretty (although they usually are), it's because they are SIGNIFICANT and meaningful.

Third, the argument that tats will look bad when you're older is kind of lame. When you're older, you're not really going to be concerned with winning beauty contests, but even if you were, you'd then obviously still be fit, with good looking skin, and your tats would still look good. And if your skin got a bit lose, you could always have a nip/tuck. LOL!

Finally, I noticed that every time someone mentioned a tattoo on a woman and whether it was or wasn't attractive, I just found myself getting more interested in said girl, theoretical or otherwise. Tattoo's are interesting, and by association, the woman who wears one is interesting. Why did she do it? Why did she chose that exact design and where does it come from? What does it mean? Where is the tattoo on her body?

God! I'm getting shivers just thinking about that, especially if the tattoo were in an area of the body normally covered up.

Granted, there are such things as ugly tattoos, poorly positioned, and done for no reason, with no meaning, etc. But, by and large, the people I've met who have tattoos (especially the women), have been very cool people and the tattoos were just part of their personality, part of who they were.

Tattoos are FUN, people! (And, no, I don't have any tattoos at the moment, and probably never will. But still . . .)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
137 years old?... not the way things are headed. The average life span (at least in the U.S.) is for the first time in history actually decreasing thanks to a number of preventable factors.

As far as body hair goes I'd also like a way to permanently and easily remove it in certain areas (back, ears, face). Yes the face too. I've never liked the daily ritual of shaving, and I don't care for having facial hair either.

Back on topic there is another (local) name for the "tramp stamp". In a nearby beach community I've heard them referred to as "Santa Cruz license plates".

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, I really don't think it's wise to be all judgmental about people who get tattoos! All sorts of people get tattoos, not just "losers" (as witnessed by our very own fearless and mutli-talented leader, Greta!).
You have a point, but I also understand the general viewpoint of why tattoos are seen as... shall we say... and unfavorable reflection of character. Tattoos are not common on most people but are common among the worst elements of society . Take a look at the general prison population and then ask yourself if you really want to have a tattoo. Maybe it's my years of dealing with such people that makes me see a tattoo as a red flag rather than as something "fun".

I also agree that some comments made here are a little rude, and if my previously posted opinion on tattoos offended anyone, I apologize and will post no further on the subject.

paxxus

Enlightened

McGizmo

Flashaholic
..... Tattoos are not common on most people but are common among the worst elements of society . ......

I think this statement may be true of yesterday but I question its validity today.

Tats have become quite common I believe and here on Maui, I see a lot of local residents with ink but I also see folks who are obviously visitors who also sport ink.

Although some tats may be unrecognizable to the casual viewer, there is certainly a reason and significance to the owner as Greta and others have stated. I believe in all aspects of tattoos, you have a full range from 1-10 with the numbers assigned and judged by both the owner and viewer with the viewer in mind in some cases and irrelevant in others.

Regardless of any of our opinions of tats in general or the reasons and thoughts behind them, I think the subject question of "is this a tattoo era" is current and topical and an interesting question to ponder. On one hand the greater acceptance and frequency of ink among us makes it less of a "risky" or significant departure or less taboo I would think in the eyes of most of society. For those seeking to go counter culture, it may have less impact now. On the other hand, it opens the door for those who want to sport ink for what ever reason with less concern of its acceptability.

I am guessing that for some people it is not much more than a fashion statement or means of fitting in with some group who share common interests and ideas. There is a permanence to it that may or may not be fully appreciated by the owner. I don't doubt that for some there will be some regrets later on but then some of us are prone to activities of all kinds that may be viewed later on with regret. :shrug:

Personally I prefer natural beauty and appreciate the natural and physical improvements I see in some people where they have tuned their form and features by exercise, good living or whatever. Much of what is considered enhancements by society I find to be obvious cosmetic change of artificial basis and I find I discount these as a result. Although I might appreciate the beauty or form despite the obvious artificial assistance, it is a situation that needs to be overcome and not positive in itself. The only relevance here is to whatever extent my perceptions are shared by others and to what extent anyone might give a dang what we think! :D

Datapoint:

The last two days I have noticed a very attractive young woman at the beach who sports a simple tattoo on her hip of the Hawaiian Islands. By this I mean the aerial view of the islands themselves like you would see from space or on a map. The tat is solid black ink and not that large with each island perhaps 3/4" to 1" in its longest dimension. To someone not familiar with the islands, this tat would be unrecognizable and almost like beauty marks yet obviously ink. There is no symmetry in form or location of this tat. There are decals and bumper stickers with the same graphic representation of the islands and it is certainly not unique. The first day I saw her, she was with a few girl friends and I noticed that one of them had ink which included the same graphic but for her it was on her stomach.

Clearly these tats had significance to both girls and perhaps even represented a bond between the two? Regardless, I found the tattoo to have significance for me as well and found I could relate to this woman though we never exchanged words or even eye contact. Is it her intent to communicate with her ink or simply a personal statement to herself and her friends? No idea. To be clear, for me, this was one of those tattoos that I found attractive and appealing and this based on its symbolic content.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not for me, thanks anyway. As far as era goes, it seems that way. I hope I am wrong.

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
After working at a couple of universities for about 17 years I believe it is a growing trend right now. It no longer seems an automatic statement about socio-economics, culture, etc.

The "jail-house" tatoo seems easily distinguished from the modern trendy ones the students seem to favor. I agree that site selection is rather critical as to perception of the wearer.

What I always think about is what was mentioned earlier about the ravages of time on the body. That cute little butterfly at 20 may end up looking like a Turkey Buzzard at 50!

Greta

Flashaholic
What I always think about is what was mentioned earlier about the ravages of time on the body. That cute little butterfly at 20 may end up looking like a Turkey Buzzard at 50!

Hmmm... so I wonder what a Turkey Buzzard will look like at 50?!?! :thinking:

I'll let you know in 3 years... ;)

angelvulture.jpg

kramer5150

Flashaholic
It seems that the majority of the NBA players have them. The Denver Nuggets have more ink than bare skin it seems. About 40% of the people I see in this part of the Bay Area have them displayed (e.g. on a part of the body where clothing cannot easily cover it up).
Anyone else noticing how popular tattoos have been over the last 10 years?

They are not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

I don't mind tats.

Personally I don't have any... I have no problems expressing myself without em'.

*edited* Sorry that was rude and insensitive of me, I should know better than that.

Last edited: