Jetbeam C-LE Quality?

ChrisA

Enlightened
@Viren - yes, they are. it's a ver 1.2 C-LE... that's why I was asking about any improvement made to the ver 2.0 of this light. does the light heat up during runtime testing on high mode ? AFAIK the heads of the ver 1.2 and ver. 2.0 are said to be essentially the same apart from the updated emitter.

chris

CoolHands

Newly Enlightened
I think its a great light, well made. Haven't noticed any heat build up in mine...

pic just for fun

jet4.jpg

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Viren - yes, they are. it's a ver 1.2 C-LE... that's why I was asking about any improvement made to the ver 2.0 of this light. does the light heat up during runtime testing on high mode ? AFAIK the heads of the ver 1.2 and ver. 2.0 are said to be essentially the same apart from the updated emitter.

chris
I havent done the runtime test yet.. plan to do that tomorow... however during extended running it does get hot but not very hot...

Current draw on High is exactly 1.00 Amp @ 1.5V... consider 70% efficient circuit and led is being fed at 3.3 Volts then LED is getting about 300 mA .... not a current that would make LED very hot... Since the LED is so efficient... I wonder we would even require any extra heat sinking apart from what's available.

Last edited:

Luminescent

Enlightened
@Gaffle - take a look at these pictures... seems like jetbeam put no thermal paste under emitter - no good, if you want to use the light for a long time on high. does your c-le gets warm after a couple of minutes on high ?
chris

Chris -

Here is a quote from the Luxeon Thermal Design Guide (AB05.pdf) available at the http://www.lumileds.com/ web page:

"We recommend mounting Luxeon Power Light
Sources (Level 2 products) directly to a heat
sink with mechanical fasteners for best
performance. You can use fasteners when
metal surface. The addition of thermal grease
(e.g. Wakefield Eng. Thermal Compound) can
minimize air gaps and improve thermal contact to
castings and uneven surfaces."

(The C-LE uses a CREE emitter, but the same general rules apply)

What this says is that if you are working with smooth machined surfaces, you are better off WITHOUT the thermal compound. There are also a lot of CPU heatsinks now that are designed with these precision machined fit arrangements and which specifically recommend against 'thermal paste'.

Also many modern designs use a small tab of a special phase change material 'thermal tape' which is MUCH more effective, and you can't see that unless you look underneath and it just looks like a small piece of tape.

In any case, with smooth machined surfaces you can argue the heat sink compound thing EITHER WAY, so just for the record -

1) The C-LE does NOT have 'thermal issues' on the LED Emitter and NEVER DID. The 1.0 version could run quite warm on lithium batteries, and a little warm on normal NiMH cells, but starting with v1.2 the circuitry is much more efficient and heat is NOT a problem. The new v2.0 C-LE uses the same circuit as the proven v1.2 design and does NOT have thermal issues. Like the v1.2 version however, the v2.0 also should NOT be used on 3 volt rechargeable lithium cells which are outside it's voltage range and will fry the driver (but can be used with the common E2 energizer disposable lithium batteries which run closer to 1.5 volts)

2. The C-LE v1.0 and to a lesser extent the C-LE v1.2 did have some issues for a few people, with the threads. The threads could be a little gritty, and just like some folks can't keep from picking at a scab, a few individuals figured that the best way to deal with this was to just keep GRINDING on them 'till they smooth out' or 'polish' them with abrasive materials. The correct answer is to use a good quality automotive or general-purpose lithium grease or something like Nyogel 760G on the threads. IN ANY CASE, ALL THE 'THREAD' ISSUES HAVE GONE AWAY WITH THE VERSION 2.0 C-LE WHICH IS A 'CLICKY' NOT 'TWISTY' DESIGN.

3) Jetbeam responded very quickly to fix the issues reported with the v1.0 C-LE with the v1.2, and with the v2.0 C-LE we have a further improved design, with a 'clicky' switch and higher efficency Q2 bin CREE emitter.

4) So now what we have with the C-LE version 2.0 is a very reliable, bright efficient light, with a nice tough high quality HAIII finish (better than Fenix), at a very reasonable cost (HALF what the L0D Fenix costs).

5) The ONLY problem with the C-LE v2.0 is that the first run sold out in nothing flat, so your ONLY problem is to wait a few weeks for another run to pick one up (which I can HIGHLY recommend, owning several C-LE's). :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ChrisA

Enlightened
@viren - you're right. if your numbers are correct, heat build up should not be of concern even after longer periods. however, comparing the c-le to a Fenix light which experiences the same kind of current draw, it get's pretty obvious, that the heatsinking sucks - Fenixes get warm almost immediately... even at 300mA the head should experience a change in temperature pretty fast, which it does not on any of my samples. anyway, it's cheap, so maybe i should not expect the more thorough design of the more expensive lights. what bothers me most is, that i really like the C-LE - it's one of my EDC lights since 2 months now and i'm really happy with it's performance... since it's smaller than the Fenix lights, it will fit into the coin pocket of a jeans together with a SAK and you don't notice it's there until you need it. i even prefer the twisty over a clicky switch because it's more reliable IMHO.

@luminescent - yeah, right...

chris

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 6 of the V1.0. All have been good, great beam quality. I cleaned the threads really well and used Nanolube ATM+P on the threads. I also put a battery washer between the battery and the foam on the head. It turns and changes modes quite easily with 1 hand. I use Energizer lithiums in this light. Works well.

onthebeam

Enlightened
. . . please be careful when you toss around phrases like 'ringy' because that implies that there are pretty nasty beam artifacts, when in point of fact the C-LE has one of the cleanest most uniform and artifact free beam patterns of any light available.

I've had six C-LEs. Two had that near perfect beam than Luminscent raves about. I would agree that when it's good, it's as good as it gets.

But sorry, the v2s I had were indeed ringy with beam artifacts, and I was surprised. Hope mine were the exception to the rule. They were early in the production run, among the very first shipped.

Luminescent

Enlightened
@viren - you're right. if your numbers are correct, heat build up should not be of concern even after longer periods. however, comparing the c-le to a Fenix light which experiences the same kind of current draw, it get's pretty obvious, that the heatsinking sucks - Fenixes get warm almost immediately... even at 300mA the head should experience a change in temperature pretty fast, which it does not on any of my samples. anyway, it's cheap, so maybe i should not expect the more thorough design of the more expensive lights. what bothers me most is, that i really like the C-LE - it's one of my EDC lights since 2 months now and i'm really happy with it's performance... since it's smaller than the Fenix lights, it will fit into the coin pocket of a jeans together with a SAK and you don't notice it's there until you need it. i even prefer the twisty over a clicky switch because it's more reliable IMHO.

oh, and just for the record - thermal tape (phase change COMPOUND isn't a tape, but you surely know that) is less effective than thermal grease.

chris

I've done thermal designs for a living. My most recent being a fifty-watt erbium doped fiber amplifier in a 1U pizza-box chassis with no fans (proud of that one, 2 other thermal design engineers said it was impossible). Trust me heatsinking an LED emitter is nothing compared to the pump lasers used in an EDFA. I had to come up with a heatsink that would keep the baseplate temperature of the lasers at less than 65C in a 45C ambient environment with convection cooling only (no fans) in only a 1.75 inch rack mount with very limited air flow. By contrast, most power LED's are quite happy at 100C and can survive 150C temperatures for short periods.

Both thermal pads and tape are indeed available that employ phase change materials, we use pre-cut pads of this type in super high power FPGA applications and it works MUCH better than simple heatsink grease.

Earlier tapes were simply impregnated with zinc oxide or some other low tech heat transfer material, but modern tapes and pads employ phase change materials which are much more effective.

That's why NO CPU I have purchased in the last 5 years used grease (all came with pads, with instructions specifically warning against replacing the pad with grease).

They have this warning because, though it's true that silver and diamond based thermal compounds can perform very well, most self appointed 'overclocking' idiots don't know how to properly apply them so that the layer is thin enough to outperform the simple tape that the CPU comes with.

Just to show you that my heart is in the right place, here's a nice link for a PDF document from AMD explaining why they recommend thermal pads (based on phase change materials), so you can educate yourself on this subject.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26951.pdf

The comments to the effect that LED eimtters should not heat up much at 1w because of their efficiency is also way off target. The best Luminous efficiency out there now is only a little above 100 lumens/watt compared to theoretical values for a perfect device of about 683 lumens / watt. This means that the vast majority of the power we are pumping into the LED emitters in both the L1D and C-LE is turning to heat.

Looking at the C-LE thermal design, I don't really see any problems.

In the C-LE, the reflector screws into the bezel head to hold the front lens against the o-ring, then the bezel head (with this reflector in place), is screwed down against the emitter star to hold the emitter star flat against the metal mounting surface inside the head. I believe that the surfaces are smooth enough to do the job without thermal compound with reasonable pressure, but if it will make you feel better any better, I saw a more recent post (from a later version v1.2 disassemble) that mentioned some heat sink grease was used.

If the thermal resistance of the contact surfaces is kept reasonable, this is actually a very GOOD thermal design because the emitter star mount can couple heat from both the rear and front surfaces into the flashlight body.

I just did a quick temperature scan on my C-LE running in HIGH power mode (running on 1.2 volt NiMH) with my IR thermometer, and I am only seeing about a 10 or 11 degree Fahrenheit rise, with full thermal equilibrium reached in less than 15 minutes (with most of the rise in the first 5 minutes). These are reasonable times given the small temperature delta.

The L1D does seem to get about 1 or 2 degrees warmer at the equilibrium point, and this is a little surprising because, as has been mentioned, the power drain is about the same, so the total heat sould be similar. The Jetbeam is actually a little smaller, so I can only assume that the thermal emissivity of the C-LE's dull black HAIII surface and it's knurling are helping to shed heat better than the Fenix's smooth shiny black surface.

This would also explain why the Fenix heats up faster, it's not that the Jetbeam is magically keeping all that heat inside, it's that it's getting to the surface and being disapated into the air better, which slows the temperature rise.

So the bottom line is that the C-LE just doesn't heat up very much at all.

Heatsinking is more critical in lights running on non-approved rechargable lithium batteries, and I would agree that heat is more of an issue if these cells are used, but they can not be used in the C-LE, and given the modest heat rise in normal operation with standard Alkaline and NiMH batteries, I don't think there will be any problems.

The old v1.0 C-LE ran a bit hotter, but that's the thing I like about Jetbeam. When folks found issues in the v1.0 C-LE, like the efficiency being mediocre and the PWM frequency being too low, Jetbeam fixed those issues almost immediately in the v1.2 (even though both issues were not easy fixes).

Contrast this to Fenix; people have been bitching that the PWM frequency of the L0D-CE is too low pretty much FOREVER. You wave your Fenix L0D around on low or medium power mode, and things start to take on a surreal stroboscope appearance that some find quite annoying; and Fenix fixed it when? . . . oh, wait, that's right, Fenix NEVER fixed it.

The Jetbeam C-LE also uses a nice MOP reflector (something Fenix is just now getting around to offering on some models).

Last edited:

Luminescent

Enlightened
I've had six C-LEs. Two had that near perfect beam than Luminscent raves about. I would agree that when it's good, it's as good as it gets.

But sorry, the v2s I had were indeed ringy with beam artifacts, and I was surprised. Hope mine were the exception to the rule. They were early in the production run, among the very first shipped.

Sorry to hear that. All my C-LE's have been great.

I share your surprise, you would think that after their years of experence with the older C-LE models, that they would know how to get this right by now.

I saw someone in another thread complaining that their brand new MKII-R was way too floody, and this was also a bit of a surprise, especially since Jetbeam elected to go back to a CREE Q4 emitter instead of a Rebel 100 (I could understand a few bumps getting a new reflector tweaked in for the Rebel, but as noted above, they should have their act togeather on CREE emitter optics by now).

EDIT:
Jetbeam are you listening??? You raised your prices (and clamped down on your dealers so they don't even offer the discounts they used to), but told us that all the quality issues would be fixed. So why are we hearing things like this?

Last edited:

ChrisA

Enlightened
@luminescent - where's that "arguing over the internet is like..." picture when you need it most. i don't agree with your "explanation", enough said...
sigh.gif

@viren - please keep us updated about your testing results.

chris

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris.. the latest is this runtime test :)

Will be doing second runtime on Same battery to see how much more we can pull from Alkaline.... Also planning to do a runtime on NiMH Today.... ;)

To get total Output in to Lumen Conversion just multiply it by any number between 0.10 & 0.12
RT_JETBeamCLE.gif

Luminescent

Enlightened
@luminescent - where's that "arguing over the internet is like..." picture when you need it most. i don't agree with your "explanation", enough said...
sigh.gif

@viren - please keep us updated about your testing results.

chris

Chris,
I agree. No point in getting uptight about it, time will tell, but I for one at least, am not going to loose sleep worrying about heat issues on my C-LE's.

If the CREE emitter was actually running hot in the C-LE, I would expect that the result would be a gradual loss of output over time (as some folks have seen on 1.5 volt Fenix lights like the L1D that are abused with 3.5 volt Lithium cells).

I just checked my C-LE with my light meter (and against several reference lights that don't get used much), and the CREE emitter is cranking along at EXACTLY the same output as when the light was brand new well over a year ago (and this is my EDC light, and it gets LOTS of use).

So, so-far so-good :)

@viren - Yes, please keep us updated about your testing results, but you also may want to check your results against the C-LE results here

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172434

These are for the C-LE v1.2, but I am seeing the identical results with both my v1.2 and v2.0 C-LE lights (a little over one hour on high on alkaline and a little over 2 hours on high on NiMH)

frisco

Enlightened
f22..... You are intitled to your opinion, I respect that..... And so am I....

Fenix and Jetbeam are of a similar class of light. Each are very solid "Medium Quality" High performance lights with JetBeam a little better at Industrial Design.

Would hate for a newbie to take your non recommendation seriously.

frisco

the quality of the cle is good for the money. it's not at fenix quality quality by any means though. fenix does have better quality and brighter output so you do get more for what you pay.
for ppl on a budget, it's a great deal. can't really comment on the olight because i never owned one.

would i recommend? honestly no. this is the reason. flashlights are going to last a while. i feel that the 15 dollar difference between the l1d and the cle 2.0 is minimal considering how long you would own one. i also like the fact that there is an option to upgrade with the body. so there's a bit of flexibility.
i did have a mix match with my cle in the anodizing coating. it was pretty bad but still acceptable by jetbeam standards so i was pretty unhappy about that.

Report Card
Beam B+ (near l1d)
UI B (memory mode and 5 stage sort of dont mesh, you have to go through strobe/sos)
Build B- (okay, not great not bad..threads ok, bit rough..reported anodizng color mixmatches)
Jetbeam CS C (talk is cheap)
BOG USA CS A (class act)

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
@viren - Yes, please keep us updated about your testing results, but you also may want to check your results against the C-LE results here

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172434

These are for the C-LE v1.2, but I am seeing the identical results with both my v1.2 and v2.0 C-LE lights (a little over one hour on high on alkaline and a little over 2 hours on high on NiMH)

Just a small update .. I did runtime test with same battery as with previous test.... And we all think that Alkaline was dead with first test :nana:

so another 14 additional minutes to 50% ;) ... I am sure we will get additional 5 - 6 minutes even after this test.
RT_JETBeamCLE2.gif

The Point of doing the alkaline test multiple times is if you are not a heavy user and need light for let's say 5 - 10 minutes each day, then Alkaline would be a very good choice as against standard NiMH and even the LSD NiMH (will prove this very soon ;) some time next month ) ... Alkaline will deliver More energy (in total) compared to NiMH (LSD or even 2700 mAH NiMH) for a span of lets say 90 days with a typical usage as above.

But if you use light for let's say 30 - 40 minutes or more per day, and intend to replace batteries / recharge batteries every week then of course NiMH would be a good choice.... speaking of which... the NiMH test is underway on That special extreme hyper tech runtime rig...:nana:

Edit: I also checked selfbuilt's runtime test & review .. He's using Duracell AA (perhaps ultra) cells where as I am using standard Energizer Alkaline (not even the Energizer 'max') the runtime differences are obvious because of the different brands ... Duracell's are also more expensive as compared to Energizers (atleast here... locally, the difference is almost 50%)

Last edited:

Luminescent

Enlightened

Edit: I also checked selfbuilt's runtime test & review .. He's using Duracell AA (perhaps ultra) cells where as I am using standard Energizer Alkaline (not even the Energizer 'max') the runtime differences are obvious because of the different brands ... Duracell's are also more expensive as compared to Energizers (atleast here... locally, the difference is almost 50%)

I just used a standard 'copper-top' style Duracell, but I have seen huge variations in quality even with the Duracells. I once thought that a new River-Rock 2 AA department store flashlight that I had purchased had failed after about 10-minutes. Turns out that one of the 'Duracell' batteries [or chinese counterfit 'Duracell' batteries] that was supplied with the light had gone to zero volts. The light ran more than 7 hours on the second set of no-name batteries, and I have never had any problems with it since then. It wasn't a load problem because the light is fine, and the other battery in series was also fine, and showed normal life after I replaced the single bad cell.

Every time I see one of those damn Duracell comericals with the "My life dependes on my battery, so I use Duracell" theme, I think of that battery that went to zero volts in ten minutes.

Having seen this, I would NEVER use a Duracell battery in a 'life-or-death' situation, but I did have one of thier copper-top batteries handy (that I got cheap at Costco), so I used it when I did my C-LE check.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is an update ;)

If you look at the graph closely, the Alkaline does not look like typical alkaline graph (looking at the regulaiton part) and the NiMH is all over Alkaline hands down!

RT_JETBeamCLE3.gif

Oh by the way, I am STILL using the Alkaline 1 R Battery for general illumination... (it's not dead yet!)

frisco

Enlightened
I just played with my CL-E version 1 twisty....... Very nice! Could be the nicest AA budget light ever made !

frisco

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone else realized that the orange o-ring between the bezel and the glass lens glows in the dark?