JETBeam Intellicharge i4

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm misreading the manual, but it appears to me that they are simply stating that the maximum AVAILABLE current when charging 4 cells is 500 mA, while the maximum AVAILABLE current when charging 2 cells is 1000 mA.

I'm no electronics whiz, but isn't it possible that an "intelligent" charger would be able to apply the correct current to each individual cell? Maybe I'm giving the designers to much credit, but I can't imagine that they would release a charger like this and have it try to pump 1000 mA into one 10440 cell. It just doesn't make sense.

I'll certainly look forward to a review, as this looks to be exactly the type of charger I'm looking for.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm misreading the manual, but it appears to me that they are simply stating that the maximum AVAILABLE current when charging 4 cells is 500 mA, while the maximum AVAILABLE current when charging 2 cells is 1000 mA.

I'm no electronics whiz, but isn't it possible that an "intelligent" charger would be able to apply the correct current to each individual cell? Maybe I'm giving the designers to much credit, but I can't imagine that they would release a charger like this and have it try to pump 1000 mA into one 10440 cell. It just doesn't make sense.

I'll certainly look forward to a review, as this looks to be exactly the type of charger I'm looking for.

That's how I read it too...

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm no electronics whiz, but isn't it possible that an "intelligent" charger would be able to apply the correct current to each individual cell?

Not easily, I have not seen any LiIon charger sensing on battery size yet. A problem with LiIon's is the many different sizes, it is not as simple as NiMH with only four sizes.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm only planning to use it for AA eneloops and 18650's so all of those issue are moot for me. A 1A charge rate will be nice for my 2900mAh AW's

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've got 10440s, 18650s, RCR123s, AAA and AA Eneloops... and I was hoping this would be a do-it-all charger, especially since that is precisely how they are advertising it.

I guess I was hoping that there was some way for it to quickly analyze each cell's capacity and adjust the output current accordingly, but more than likely that was wishful thinking on my part :). Oh well, we will know soon enough.

Thanks goodness we have folks like HKJ who can give us the scoop on these new gizmos.

infinus

Newly Enlightened
Maybe it has different max charge currents based on length of the battery as it is inserted into the charger.

Perhaps.... but keep in mind the price point of this charger........ I'd be surprised if it did this. I eagerly await a review. Length doesn't tell you the diameter of the cell.

I'm hoping this thing won't fry peoples smaller batteries!

Tenebrae

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to have a look at the guts of this thing. My Pila is stoutly built and I'd like to see how this thing compares.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone giving this a thumbs up or down yet? I' like to be able to charge 4x18650 at the same time for my NC TM11, I have a Pila but charging two and then charging another two after that doesn't sound very fun or time efficient. I don't need it to technically perform as well as the Pila just a not going to burn down my house or poof the cells.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully that 1000mA on two cells really is just a max, and not all the time.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it has different max charge currents based on length of the battery as it is inserted into the charger.
Hopefully that 1000mA on two cells really is just a max, and not all the time.

I seriously doubt that this charger offers the capability to "automatically" adjust charge rates, that would be a first, to my knowledge. We don't know yet, but I really don't think this charger is going to posses any miraculous features.

Since proper Li-Ion chargers seem to run about $20-$25 per charging channel, I think it is very unlikely that a proper charger with 4 bays that also charges NiMh cells is going to run $25. As I said, we don't know yet, but I sure wouldn't get my hopes up. I think you guys that are pulling the trigger already, are jumping the gun a bit too early.

Again, a company that shows a promotional photo of this charger charging a CR123A lithium primary cell, and recommends charging a 250-350mAh 10440 cell at 1000, or even 500mA, really doesn't inspire much confidence. We'll see, but......

Dave

fyrstormer

Banned
The pictures on GoingGear show a blue *Fire-type RCR123 instead of a CR123A primary. My guess is the first promo shot was just put together with the first batteries the photographer could get their hands on.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Not easily, I have not seen any LiIon charger sensing on battery size yet. A problem with LiIon's is the many different sizes, it is not as simple as NiMH with only four sizes.

I think it would be possible to do auto-sensing of lithium-ion cells if the charger performed a DCIR or 1 kHz AC impedance measurement initially, then scaled the current appropriately. Quite frankly, I am surprised that nobody has done this yet. Perhaps the market for such a charger is too small to make it worth anyone's effort.