JetBeam Jet-I MK IBS Review: Runtimes, Beamshots, Pics, Ramps + UPDATE: Shipping ver!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: JetBeam MKII IBS Review: Runtimes, Beamshots, Pics, Ramps & more

AAAARRGH!!! :hairpull: :banghead: :mecry:

I am sooooo sorry about this everyone, but I've just realized most of my output levels on the IBS are off! Over the weekend, I noticed some of my older lights were given abnormally low readings in my lightbox.

Upon investigating further, I discovered that some debris had blown into my lightbox and was sticking to the light sensor partially blocking it! :ohgeez: I do all my runtimes with a cooling fan on, so this was probably a contributing factor.

I've blown the debris out, and lo and behold: my other lights (NDI, L1D, etc) are reporting exactly the same as before - but the IBS is actually about ~20% brighter than I originally reported here! I've been running new runtimes, and will update the main review later today.

Sorry everyone .... at least this explains the discrepancy between my original lighbox values and the ceiling bounce on the IBS - the lightbox was off! :shakehead

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: JetBeam MKII IBS Review: Runtimes, Beamshots, Pics, & Ramps - UPDATED!

Ok everyone - my revised runtimes are now up in the first post!

Sorry for the original erroneous report (I need to clean out the inside of my lightbox more often! :ironic:). The output and runtime numbers posted in the first thread now are all correct and consistent. I've reconfirmed the output levels of all the other lights in my review, and everything checks out. The lightbox is back to as good as new! :thumbsup:

The main differences now is the MKII IBS ramping data is a lot more linear, the output is lot more consistent with runtime (and as good or superior to the other lights), and the efficiency in most modes is pretty close the the NDI.

The real shocker is seeing ~95 on my relative output scale for a 1AA light. :eek:oo: But that is consistent with what my ceiling bounce test (with a different lightmeter) and my own eyes are telling me - the MKII IBS is noticeably brighter than the L1DQ5.

gunga

Flashaholic

Oh wow, that's great to see Selfbuilt!

At least it's good to know the light does well when not in the dead zone of effieciency (just bleow max I believe?).

Great to see, maybe jetbeam is doing better than I thought!

merlocka

Enlightened

I just got my light today. Your update makes sense because this little bugger is bright. I'm loving it. Couple of minor issues (body tube could be 1mm longer for better protected 14500 fit, switch stiff & a bit sloppy), but this is definitely a winner in my opinion.

southpaw

Newly Enlightened

moving...

Last edited:

floodlight

Newly Enlightened

I just got my MKII IBS today. I assure you. As of now, this has to be the brightest EDC light you can get.

At 2 lumens, the light output is very usable as a long running emergency light. At 50%, it is brighter than the brightest level of my 120P. At 100%, it could light up a small room without any problem. No BS.

If you want the brightest little light available, this is it.

However, I do have to caution everyone that the light got very warm after I was playing with it continuously for 5-10 minutes at the 50%-100% output levels. Not hot, but very warm. Yes, I am using a AW 14500 with the light.

As suggested by the manufacturer, I agreed that no one should leave the light running by itself at 100% output for too long. Then again, the 50% output level is more than bright enough for almost any applications. Heat should not be a problem if you setup your 3 output selections wisely and use 100% output only once in a while.

I will continue to EDC my 120P. But from now on, I will also EDC the MKII IBS just in case I have sudden need for some "serious" lighting.

I would recommend it to anyone for EDC purpose.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

However, I do have to caution everyone that the light got very warm after I was playing with it continuously for 5-10 minutes at the 50%-100% output levels. ... Heat should not be a problem if you setup your 3 output selections wisely and use 100% output only once in a while.
Yes, I agree entirely with this assessment. Regular readers of my reviews will know that I favour keeping max brightness at lower levels for regular use (mainly for thermal reasons).

But with 3 set levels, there's ample opportunity to keep 100%/max in reserve for emergencies. My personal preference is A 5%, B ~60%, and C 100%.

Couple of minor issues (body tube could be 1mm longer for better protected 14500 fit, switch stiff & a bit sloppy), but this is definitely a winner in my opinion.
Good point about the switch - I too find it stiff, and I suppose "sloppy" is as good a word as any to describe flashing with it (i.e. no good tactile feedback unless you fully click). Frankly, a forward clicky would probably have been better for an interface that requires 3 rapid flashes in under a second to set brightness.

Of course, with 3 set modes, I don't imagine I will have much need to keep re-setting brightness levels. I do like the 3 mode pre-set feature.

Oh, and thanks for the exterior beamshots in your own thread. :)

FsTop

Enlightened

Note that the dimensions published in this thread do not agree with a note that I rec'd yesterday:
Originally Posted by BugOutGear_USA
Outside diameter of tailcap is 19mm, battery tube is recessed in slightly at 16mm and the outside diameter of the head is 19mm. If it were any thinner it would probably be to fragile. Wall thickness of battery tube is approx 1mm.

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

I guess I'll have to wait a few more days to actually get my hands on one and measure it, since the distributor does not even agree with his own published online specs...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Note that the dimensions published in this thread do not agree with a note that I rec'd yesterday:
I've just measured my engineering sample with my digital electronic caliper, and got the following measurements:

Exterior thickness:
Tail: 20.0mm
Body: 19.1-19.8mm (depending on where you sample, given not perfectly round)
Head: 20.9mm

Interior thickness:
Tailcap threads on the body: 1.5mm.
Thickest part of the body: 2.7mm.

Oh, and the weight without battery is 46.5g according to my digital postal scale.

Of course, it is possible the shipping version might be slightly different. I know for example that they have dropped the "II" after the MK label on shipping samples.
:wave:

Last edited:

FsTop

Enlightened

Thanks - looks like Flavio needs to go back to measuring school...

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened

I guess I'll have to wait a few more days to actually get my hands on one and measure it, since the distributor does not even agree with his own published online specs...

FsTop,

You emailed us complaining that this light was too big at 21mm so I measured the light for you and those are the measurements. Not sure how this is considered "big", but don't shoot the messenger. The specs posted are manufacturers specs and not significantly bigger than our actual measurements. You should probably read CPF rules prior to posting a copy of email communications.

thanks,
Flavio
Bugoutgearusa.com

FsTop

Enlightened

Sorry, Flavio, no offense meant, just joking. I'm just trying to find agreed-on on accurate measurements.

I should add that I have one of these on order, and I'm looking forward to it. I like the UI and the specs a lot - for me the size and pocketability will determine if I make it my EDC, so it's a big issue to me.

:candle:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I should add that I have one of these on order, and I'm looking forward to it. I like the UI and the specs a lot - for me the size and pocketability will determine if I make it my EDC, so it's a big issue to me.
I'm sure you'll like it, it's a nice light.

All these lights are approximately the same size, and I don't personally see that as a problem. What's more an issue for me is useability and grip.

Generally, I have preferred the look of the "smoother" lights (e.g. JB MKII, Fenix, Rexlight, etc.). But now that I've been EDCing the NDI for awhile, I find I've grown accustomed to the extra grip, and I actually now prefer it.

One thing I find that might be good for light makers to do is to start putting a little light knurling around the base of the head (i.e. like Fenix is doing now on its AA lights). This is helpful in prevent hand slip when activating the light - especially in cases where the clicky is a bit stiff (like the MKII).

But of course, that's specific for my hand size and how I hold the light - it may be different for others. I'd be curious to hear the experiences from other holders of both the MKII and the NDI ...

m13a8

Newly Enlightened

Awesome review! I ordered this light a little while ago, and it should be arriving Friday or Saturday. I'm very excited for this light to get here! I hope to make this my new EDC instead of my Surefire G2. I really like the output of this light, and the price! I've been following lights for a while, but I haven't ordered much because I'm in high school and I don't have a job yet. I'm sure this light will make an awesome addition to my humble collection.

I really like how it's possible to set the multiple levels (A, B, C), so I can set it to something very low on A and then something higher on B and C, and that it has no memory. This way I won't blind myself anymore.

Anyway, I think I rambled long enough, I'm very excited to get this light in the mail!

FsTop

Enlightened

+1
Me too - mine is due next week.

merlocka

Enlightened

I'd be curious to hear the experiences from other holders of both the MKII and the NDI ...

I think I can throw in $0.02

It's going to fall down to personal preference, of course. To me, the AA lights fall into the "cool gadget" or "utility" category, and not so much the "tactical" category. So I'm not so much worried about grip, and the most tactical situation I get into is how to prop a forward clicky light up when I'm taking a leak at night.

For what it is, the NDI is just about perfect (except for those teeth on the bezel... :grin2:).

Personally, I just prefer the single-input UI, tailstand, and minimal (or no) knurling.

For similar reasons I like the Novatac over the L1.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I've received a few queries about the relative efficiency of the IBS circuit on NiMH in medium modes compared to other lights.

As regular readers of my reviews will know, I don't typically do NiMH runtimes in Med-Lo modes on most of lights. The reason for this is that runtimes could be quite long, and I don't want to let the cells accidentally run down to zero (very bad for NiMH, especially Eneloops). I only did it here for 50% flash mode, because I expected efficiency could be an issue.

To help sort it out a little further, I've just added the following "Med-Hi" NiMH comparison runtime to the main review:

NiMH-MedHi.gif

As you can see, the IBS is less efficient at the "Med-Hi" level compared to the NDI and L1D, but this isn't surprising given JetBeam's comments in their sales thread.

I plan to do further "low-med" runtimes when the shipping version arrives. But that will also involve going back and re-testing my other lights at Med levels. And it will be a few days at least before I can get to it (the lightbox is tied up with another light right now).

I'll keep you posted. :wave:

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened

Another great review selfbuilt - I always look forward to seeing a new review from you! :goodjob:

Looks like JetBeam is really starting to step it up and have begun addressing past issues with driver efficiency... As you have indicated, the MKII IBS is trading-off some runtime for output - guess it depends on what you're looking for.

Btw, I have some questions selfbuilt: most of the beamshots make it apparent that the MKII IBS has more output - is it as apparent in actual use vs. white-wall hunting? Also, it looks like it also has wider side-spill as well as a warmer tint, correct?
I look forward to seeing the other JetBeam reviews... :popcorn:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

So I'm not so much worried about grip, and the most tactical situation I get into is how to prop a forward clicky light up when I'm taking a leak at night.
I hear ya - I was never overly enthused by the faux-tactical features of the NDI (the "teeth" especially, as they sometimes get caught on my holster). ;)

But I was thinking in terms of activating the light single-handed, using a thumb to hit the switch. Since I find the JetBeam switches require a fair about of force, I'm always a little concerned that the light will slip in my grip (i.e. the body of the MKII is very smooth, and I might accidentally push the whole light forward). A think a small ribbon of light knurling at the base of the head (as Fenix now does) would likely provide just enough traction to prevent hand-slipping.

Btw, I have some questions selfbuilt: most of the beamshots make it apparent that the MKII IBS has more output - is it as apparent in actual use vs. white-wall hunting? Also, it looks like it also has wider side-spill as well as a warmer tint, correct?
Yes on both counts. My initial reaction on firing it up at 100% on 14500 was: whoa, that's bright! Even without the L1DQ5 beside it, I subjectively had the impression it was brighter. In fact, it was the clearly visually brighter output in use (confirmed by ceiling bounce) that convinced to take a closer look at my lightbox (where I discovered the debris issue).

I also agree JetBeam has improved driver efficiency over the original Jet-I PRO launch. I still need to do more med-lo NiMH runtimes to get a better feel for how far off they are from the competition, though.

Latest posts