JetBeam Jet-I MK IBS Review: Runtimes, Beamshots, Pics, Ramps + UPDATE: Shipping ver!

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: JetBeam MKII IBS Review: Runtimes, Beamshots, Pics, & Ramps - UPDATED!

But I was thinking in terms of activating the light single-handed, using a thumb to hit the switch. Since I find the JetBeam switches require a fair about of force, I'm always a little concerned that the light will slip in my grip (i.e. the body of the MKII is very smooth, and I might accidentally push the whole light forward).

If you don't mind losing the tailcap standing ability, switching out the boot will make it a lot easier to activate. I used one of the DX boots with the long nipple inside, cutting about 1/8" off. Makes a big difference in on/off and switching between light levels.

FsTop

Enlightened

Where would one get a "DX boot"?

(It sounds like the thing they clamp on your car for over-parking.) :)

Last edited:

m13a8

Newly Enlightened

I just got my JetBeam MKII in today, it's amazing! Maybe I'm overly amazed at it because I've been away from lights for a while, but it's still a really nice light, and I love its size!

FsTop

Enlightened

I got mine today, and it's excellent. I've owned Fireflys and other high-end carry lights, but this is the best so far.

Setting and using the three levels is a real pleasure compared to doing the twist-and-shout routine with a twisty, and this thing puts out a truly amazing amount of light. I did order a dozen assorted-color DX Boots (for $2.10 shipped) to get a taller button for ease of use - thanks Nake and LEDicted!

My only single gripe is that it seems a bit fat for jeans-pocket carry, and kinda big for a keychain.

Or maybe I should say that my keys seem kinda small for lightchain carry...

Last edited:

neophyte340

Newly Enlightened

how does this lights 225 "torch lumens" compare with say a fenix p2dce premiums 180 lumens (not sure if thats torch or actual)
Im caught between the 2 for my new edc.

m13a8

Newly Enlightened

I got mine today, and it's excellent. I've owned Fireflys and other high-end carry lights, but this is the best so far.

Setting and using the three levels is a real pleasure compared to doing the twist-and-shout routine with a twisty, and this thing puts out a truly amazing amount of light. I did order a dozen assorted-color DX Boots (for $2.10 shipped) to get a taller button for ease of use - thanks Nake and LEDicted!

My only single gripe is that it seems a bit fat for jeans-pocket carry, and kinda big for a keychain.

Or maybe I should say that my keys seem kinda small for lightchain carry...

I know this a stupid question, but I've googled a while and still can't find the answer. How do I switch the tailcap boot? I'm not sure how and I'm a little afraid of damaging my new light.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

how does this lights 225 "torch lumens" compare with say a fenix p2dce premiums 180 lumens (not sure if thats torch or actual).
As it turns out, the P2D-Q5 on RCR and CR123A primaries looks virtually identical to the L1D-Q5 on 14500 and alkaline/NiMH - at least in terms of initial output. Runtimes would differ according to battery capacity. But you'll see the same general pattern as shown here for the L1D-Q5 (e.g. relative output levels, lack of regulated low modes on RCR/14500, etc.).

If you don't mind losing the tailcap standing ability, switching out the boot will make it a lot easier to activate. I used one of the DX boots with the long nipple inside, cutting about 1/8" off. Makes a big difference in on/off and switching between light levels.
Thanks for the tip Nake. I just gave it a try, and you are right - it does make the switch much easier to activate. :party:

I also found trimming 2-3mm off the nipple of one the DX GITD boot covers worked best (it wasn't making a good contact if left untrimmed). Works like a charm, and now glows in the dark too! Of course, no more tail standing this way ... but I do like the feel.

I know this a stupid question, but I've googled a while and still can't find the answer. How do I switch the tailcap boot? I'm not sure how and I'm a little afraid of damaging my new light.
You need to unscrew the switch retaining ring on the inside of the tailcap (the red plastic disc with two small holes in it). The ideal tool for this is a pair of snap-ring pliers, but very fine needle-nose pliers or a good set of pointed tweezers will do. Insert the tweezers/pliers into holes and unscrew (i.e. counterclockwise).

Once it is out, the switch will fall out (and potentially fall apart - pay attention to how to re-assemble it). Once the switch is out, you can then unscrew the brass switch holder the same way you did the retaining ring. Once it is out, just replace the switch boot cover, screw back in the brass switch holder, replace the switch, and screw back in the plastic retaining ring.

The key here is to be careful with the plastic ring especially. Most makers use metal, but JetBeam's design is plastic. If you break this ring, your switch won't hold in place and the light won't work. Many here have questioned this obvious design flaw, but of course most people don't go around unscrewing their tail switches (except for us boot color obsessed type). :whistle:

The secret (as with everything) is really having the right tool.

m13a8

Newly Enlightened

selfbuilt: thanks!! :)

bexamous

Newly Enlightened

I just got mine in the mail and brightness is definitely a strong point with this light ;). Actually the only two things that could be better:

1. Button is sorta hard to press. Its good enough as in it works... but if they ever wanted to improve the light they might wanna work the clicker. It is recessed enough that it shouldn't need to be hard to press.

2. The springs are a little weird. I only have AW 14500 batteries and they work perfect without any modding for anyone who was wondering. The first time I put the battery in however, the light wouldn't screw back together all the way. It felt like it still needed another turn or so. I didn't want to break anything so I just tried using the light and it wouldn't turn on. I then opened it up to look around and saw nothing wrong. I put it back together and I noticed it seemed to tighten back together all the way this time and what would you know, it lit up :). I then tried taking the battery out and putting it back in a few times and I think the spring is sometimes causing a problem.... as though it isn't compressing correctly. It is like overlaping itself and becomming too thick. Again not THAT big a deal but I'm guessing if any batteries are just a hair longer it might start be more annoying perhaps?

Other than these I love everything else :). UI is great, finish is great, its easy to hold onto yet not too much curling that is annoying for pocket lights... oh yea did I mention its bright? Even the default 'low' puts out a usable amount of light... you switch to the default 'high' and its a laughable amount of light from a AA light.

Oh yea I wish there was some way to get a clip on this light... anyone have any ideas?

phil000

Newly Enlightened

I was really lucky in the fact that I accidentally ordered these a while back for an 18650 light, and they were too small, but now that I have something to use them on...I have another problem:thumbsdow

I got the first plastic 'ring' out, but the metal one is REALLY well in there, any tips for removal? Right now, I'm using a small size torx bit and whatever else I can find to get it moving...

edit: problem solved, if you don't have the right tools look for a small philips bit screwdriver, for some reason that works much better on the bigger ring.

Last edited:

FsTop

Enlightened

I took the new-today Jet-1 Mk. I.B.S. outside tonight, and noted two things about the beam:
- on the garage wall, it has a distinct bright ring about one-third out from the hot-spot to the edge of the spill,
and,
- the center hot-spot is VERY BRIGHT on 14500, i.e. easily visible on trees 100 yds. away, but not so great for reading the restaurant menu on 2% low.

I'm kind of undecided whether this is the right light pattern for my usual uses, particularly since the LumaPower Avenger I received the same day is such a nice keychain clicky with an evenly-spread beam, and no programming needed.

I love the way this is programmed, the flexibility, the brightness, and the battery life on AAA-size.

I'm not at all crazy about ease-of-use and speed-of-use, due to the recessed button. With gloves on, it would be completely unusable.

I guess I'll try it with the DX boot, and decide based on that.

What I really want is something about the size of an ARC AAA, with one ring to control continuously-variable brightness up to solar-flare level, and another to focus it down to a .5mm laser-beam...

Sigh - all of life is a series of engineering trade-offs...

FsTop

Enlightened

P.S. - as to the size of the shipping product, my Mk. II eyeball with magnifying glass and quarter-mm machinists scale, used on my Jet-1 Mk. I.B.S., comes up with 20.0mm head diameter, and 19.0mm at the tail-cap. Looks like it got a bit slimmer after the engineering samples, and the head is definitely 1mm fatter than the tail-cap, so that puts my measurements between Flavio's and the engineering sample. Believe who you will.

In any case, it's a nice feel in the hand, but the recessed button would be tough for larger fingers, and impossible with gloves. Must be a California-designed light...

The battery tube flutes and flats make it feel a bit slimmer in the hand, but I'd personally rather have an 18mm lightly-knurled tube and tailcap with no milled flats. And a button that protrudes - I have no use for tail-standing, but need the button to be instantly accessable.

If I decide I can't live without the function and brightness of this light, I may have to Dremel off the tail-ring, to make the button protrude to where it is more readily usable.

Last edited:

merlocka

Enlightened

I then tried taking the battery out and putting it back in a few times and I think the spring is sometimes causing a problem.... as though it isn't compressing correctly. It is like overlaping itself and becomming too thick. Again not THAT big a deal but I'm guessing if any batteries are just a hair longer it might start be more annoying perhaps?

I think that's exactly what's happening. Same thing on mine. I was crunching AW 14500's (old protected version).

My solution was to remove the front spring. A small solder blob to make contact with the button-less 14500's does the trick nicely.

I've has some more time to spend with this light. Aside from the tailswitch (which I'm working on, the DX boots are great but I need my tailstand), this is currently my favorite light in my collection by far.

FsTop

Enlightened

After using the I.B.S. yesterday, I've got a sore fingertip.

I've come to really dislike the tail-stand ring, as it makes it very hard to get at the button.

This design might work on a 123 light, where the tail-stand is big enough diameter to get your thumb into it to press the button, but on a 19mm AA tube, my index finger is the only way to press it, and the clicky is too stiff to be comfortable when used with a fingertip.

I guess I'll wait for the DX boots and try those, but the Dremel may be applied to this tail stand soon - it would shorten the length in the pocket, too...

Last edited:

FsTop

Enlightened

A drizzly cold morning here, so I got busy tinkering: aside from the obvious, my Jet-1 Mk. I.B.S. is now operable with a thumb. As you can see, I cut away the tail-stand except for one split-ring/lanyard slot.

I'd still like to use the DX button to make it a little easier to press, but I can now use the light quickly with one hand, by holding it between first and second finger, and pressing the button with my thumb. The keys are held by my two small fingers, and keep the light from moving forward. If I grab it so I have to use my finger, it's a lot easier without the tailstand. And it still stands just fine on the button.

dy91s0.jpg

Removing the ring makes the light feel a bit shorter in the pocket, and the brushed finish is nice for grip.

As to the finish, I did the old EZ-Off trick to strip it, and then decided to leave it brushed, instead of taking the time to polish it. I used the green nylon pot-scrubber stuff, so I can maintain the finish in the kitchen sink when it gets nicked up.

At least for now, it's my EDC keychain-carry - a really nice light, both BRIGHT and dim.

Last edited:

importculture

Newly Enlightened

That's a brilliant idea! I love this idea although I think I'm going to grind the tail stand ring into 3 separate pieces including the splitring hole that way I can still tailstand it. Thanks for the great idea. Almost did the DX rubber boot replacement.

As you can see, I cut away the tail-stand except for one split-ring/lanyard slot.

dy91s0.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Wow, nice dremel job there FsTop. :eek:oo:

I kind of like that look, but for those not inclined to such major surgery, the DX boot replacement works pretty well too (although you loose tailstanding)

P.S. - as to the size of the shipping product, my Mk. II eyeball with magnifying glass and quarter-mm machinists scale, used on my Jet-1 Mk. I.B.S., comes up with 20.0mm head diameter, and 19.0mm at the tail-cap. Looks like it got a bit slimmer after the engineering samples, and the head is definitely 1mm fatter than the tail-cap, so that puts my measurements between Flavio's and the engineering sample. Believe who you will.
Interesting. My shipping sample should be in my hands sometime monday, so I will measure with my trusty digital caliper and report back.

I then tried taking the battery out and putting it back in a few times and I think the spring is sometimes causing a problem.... as though it isn't compressing correctly. It is like overlaping itself and becomming too thick. Again not THAT big a deal but I'm guessing if any batteries are just a hair longer it might start be more annoying perhaps?
I experienced a bit of this on my original MkIIX and Jet-I PRO (to a lesser extent), but haven't had the issue with the IBS. I suspect its a general design issue of the spring and retaining ring in the tailcap, when used with some extremely long batteries (i.e. protected 14500).

Even though I'm not experiencing it here, this is definitely a general design concern for long-term use (not so much for the light, but for potential denting/wearing down of the 14500 terminals). I'll add a note about this in the first post next time I update the review.

FsTop

Enlightened

Oh, and the weight without battery is 1.51g according to my digital postal scale.

Amazing - I'd have guessed closer to an ounce-and-a-half.

They must have used that floating aluminum...

:twothumbs

Latest posts