JetBeam Jet-III M (Military) Review - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS and more!

faucon

Enlightened
Just had a Email from Neolumens in france saying they now have stock, BUT they say it has a NEW reflector, 3/4 smo and 1/4 OP!
They say it has a new and improved beam pattern. They should be sending it out to me today. At last!! LOL
Hmm, I wonder whether the new reflectors can be purchased separately and retrofitted to existing J3Ms? One of the few things I've wanted to change on my Jet-III M has been the somewhat ringy beam and (for me) slightly too small hotspot.

JML

Enlightened
Flavio says he's looking into the new reflector's availability for those of us who purchased the light already. But he said there won't be any in his new shipment, due next week.

Last edited:

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
I have one, and to be honest I am disapointed with it.
It seems that for the first 1/4 of the reflector nearest the LED there is loads of TINY concentric rings, which I presume are ment to be the OP part, the rest is smooth.
These rings are not really that different to the smooth part. In fact it could be a smooth one they have sent me!
I have a Dark cresent shape around approx half the beam, It looks like the pic that selfbuilt took when he said the reflector had a bit of the O'ring stuck under it.
But it is not that and nothing I do gets rid of it.
I think this is goimg to have to go back. I did order it with the OP reflector but they sent this as they said it was the new improved version.
Maybe I was just unlucky.
I just need Henry to get some Clickys over to the UK and I will have one of them.
Kam.
Does anyone know where I can get a OP reflector to try in this? Be aware that I am in the UK.
Thanks Kam.

Oh and the Hotspot seems Smaller or NO larger than in selfbuilts pics as well.

Last edited:

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
If you read ALL the messages in that thread, the beamshot comparison is between the warm tint Jet-III M and the original colder tint Jet-III Pro, which the poster didn't realize until afterwards...

Sorry, I don´t see that anywhere in the mentioned thread.

Both JetIII Pro and JetIII from the beamshots are regular cold whites. Something about a neutral-white was mentioned later by another member, who thought (falsely) that his JetIII Pro had a warmer version. And the beamshots were made in early october ... guess there weren´t any "M" with neutral whites available at that time.

I own a JetIII Pro and a JetIII M, both "cold white", and my Pro is about 18% brighter than my "M" (same for 2x 16340 and 18650). The difference isn´t so big, usually you won´t notice it IMHO.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I own a JetIII Pro and a JetIII M, both "cold white", and my Pro is about 18% brighter than my "M" (same for 2x 16340 and 18650). The difference isn´t so big, usually you won´t notice it IMHO.
According to my lightbox, my Jet-III Pro is ~4% brighter than my Jet-III M, and my Jet-III ST is ~9% brighter (all on 18650).

As a general rule, well-regulated 18650-only lights will outperform multi-power circuits on 18650. It is exceedingly difficult to drive multi-power lights maximally on a single Li-ion (i.e. the multi-power light has to handle a very wide voltage input range).

faucon

Enlightened
Flavio says he's looking into the new reflector's availability for those of us who purchased light already. But he said there won't be any in his new shipment, due next week.
Thanks for the info.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I think I may have to try one out. It looks like it runs in regulation with 18650 for a short period of time depending on Vf. I like that.

Golfer2000

Newly Enlightened
Flavio says he's looking into the new reflector's availability for those of us who purchased the light already. But he said there won't be any in his new shipment, due next week.
I ordered over the weekend any chance of getting one?

Kalle

Newly Enlightened
Are there somewhere also beamshots showing a larger distance? 20 or 50 meters for example?
i don´t think these 1-5 meter beamshots do really show what the flashlight can....

P.S. Which one would you prefer, Jetbeam III M or Olight M20 Warrior Premium?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Are there somewhere also beamshots showing a larger distance? 20 or 50 meters for example?
Don't know if anyone has done these (check out some of the other threads in the LED section).

In any case, it won't show you much - as my up-close beamshots show, the M20 and Jet-III M have similar patterns with similar throw and overall spillbeam width. As the end of the day, the M20 has slightly more output (and slightly more throw) - but this is not readily noticeable unless you compare directly side by side (and even then, tint differences obscure your ability to tell).

Basically, I would choose between these lights based on feature and performance - theactual beams are pretty similar.

Kalle

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks for the answer!
I will have a closer look at the features of these lights.
Is it right that the Jetbeam has the better building quality?

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
P.S. Which one would you prefer, Jetbeam III M or Olight M20 Warrior Premium?

Hmm, I actually have both these lights.

To be honest I like them both, I got the M20 Premium which has the R2 LED with a little more output - this is my strongest thrower. I got the warm tint Jetbeam, this is my most visually pleasing output light. The M20 has 4 modes accessed by tightening & loosening the head to change between them, it remembers the last mode and always starts on that. The Jetbeam only has 2 modes - full power when you tighten the head and custom setting when you loosen the head - but the custom setting can be anything you want, so advantage to Jetbeam on the UI in my opinion. I really think the ability to set the custom mode on the Jetbeam to anything you like is a hard feature to beat - you can set a lower low setting than the Olight offers or a useful medium setting, strobe, SOS or whatever - you then have your personal custom setting or full power, no other rubbish to cycle through.

The build quality may be better on the Jetbeam, but both are excellent so no biggie. I did remove the cigar grip & clip from the M20 because I found them really uncomfortable, but with them gone the torch feels good in my hand. The Jetbeam came with a really good 2 way clip which is a nice feature.

I like both and think most people would be happy with either. If I were forced to only keep one then I would probably go with the Jetbeam.

If you are going to use 2 x 16340 or 2 x CR123 cells in the Jetbeam then you can stop them rattling by buying a spare Olight battery tube or 2 I use these with either light.

madi05

Enlightened
i wanted to thank u guys for your hardwork for us newbies , i just ordered me a Military due to this and other posts i have read, this is one of my first real flashlight buys other than maglights and taskforce stuff nearby so i am excited to get this one for sure , i was going the wrong way till i read a good bit , ordered from bug out gear so soon i will be showing it off, lol

thanks to the guys that pmed me back and fourth with my many questions , lol u guys are top notch

madi05

madi05

Enlightened
O-ring color denotes what it's made of - red is silicone, black is nitrile, clear is polyurethane.

which is a better oring ,, also is there a glow in the dark one that will fit and also endcap glow in the dark like fenix has ?

thanks

StarHalo

Flashaholic
which is a better oring

For our flashlight purposes, they're all technically the same. All handle any lubricant type, last a long time, and are easily replaced.

also is there a glow in the dark one that will fit

I don't own an M, but I wager one of these would fit: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=164597&highlight=rings

and also endcap glow in the dark like fenix has ?

That I don't know - hopefully one of the glow-crazed folk here would know. The only JetBeam model that I'm aware of that came stock with a glow-cap was the Jet I Mk IBS, which had a notably smaller switch.

pltan

Newly Enlightened
My M just arrived in the mail today , and wow.....very impressed... I love it.

What kind of holster/pouch do you guys use with yours, and do you have any other accessories?

I did notice with using the AWC123 batteries there is considerable rattle, as the batteries themselves are smaller than the 18650 (which happens to be a great fit)

Have any of you taken off the built-in clip, I find it's placing a little bit awkward, perhaps it's designed for holster use?

Would love to see pics of different mods or accessories, bezels you guys might have on yours :):whistle: