Jetbeam RRT-01

iron potato

Enlightened
I played with this tonight and I have the answer. The strobe is very easy to activate. You rotate the ring all the way to the right (to the highest level). Then you quickly rotate left one level and back to the right and the strobe activates. To disable the strobe you just rotate one left one level again.

Ahh, how nice :sssh: now I couldn't decides which one to pick, M11R U2 or M10R T6... :shrug: :ohgeez:

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
wa64u8.gif

10enaro.gif

Patriot

Flashaholic
My goodness, that's a dramatic difference in output! Thanks for sharing the JIF's!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I played with this tonight and I have the answer. The strobe is very easy to activate.

1) You rotate the ring all the way to the right (to the highest level).

2) Then you quickly rotate left one level

3) and back to the right,

and the strobe activates.

To disable the strobe you just rotate one left one level again.

You've GOT to be KIDDING? That's EASY?

If you NEED the strobe...do you REALLY think it will be easy to engage under pressure?

How about pressing one button or something? - THAT'S easy.

Step 1) is not too too bad, but step 2) means you could easily OVERSHOOT the detent you wanted while facing a situation you thought you needed the strobe FOR...and its the WORST UI choice in this case...and step 3) might be doable as at least you might not over shoot if there's a stop there....but by the time you DO all that twisting, with both hands of course...the situation has progressed without you.

:thumbsdow

Last edited:

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
All valid points. Since I'm never in a "tactical" situation, I guess I don't have the right mindset. ;). I guess "easy" would be something more like that Klarus XT11. :)

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened

If you NEED the strobe...do you REALLY think it will be easy to engage under pressure?

...the situation has progressed without you.

If you are in some kind of life or death situation that a flashlight will be able to get you out of, and it requires split second reactions...then you aren't in a situation.

It's a flashlight, not a firearm or knife. If you need the strobe to get somebody's attention or whatever, a second or two isn't going to make a difference, and on the off chance it does, simply turning on the flashlight and waving it will get you a similar effect.

The strobe/sos isn't going to stun an attacker or anything life-savey like that.

But discussing strobe/sos is like discussing religion/politics, those who 'believe' will never be convinced that the strobe/sos function won't save their life someday, and those who don't just want the 'believers' to keep it to themselves, lol.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the RRT-01 and V11R seem to be very similar. Main differences:

1. RRT-01 looks like it has a smooth reflector at least from the screenshots. This may result in a very ugly beam. Not good for a short-range light. Presumably the V11R has an orange peal reflector like the V10R
2. RRT-01 might be more expensive than V11R. Unknown what V11R's price will be, but comparing the V10R to the RRT-0 sees a considerable price difference.
3. RRT-01 looks like it might have an SOS mode, while the V11R's interface lacks it.
4. RRT-01 has mechanical reverse polarity protection while the V11R presumably does not.
5. RRT-01 Might have slightly shorter battery life. Assuming similar driver efficiency and same light output, but with RRT-01 running at higher drive current due to its less efficient T6 emitter compared to the V11R's U2 emitter.
6. V11R has a tailswitch.
7. RRT-01 has a better clip, and a a stainless steel bezel.
8. RRT-01 will be out earlier than the V11R, even if only by a few weeks.

That's a good list... Two of the really big questions for me are:
- Jetbeam's variable control seems to usually go linear output, Sunwayman has a non-linear output. I've strongly preferred the Sunwayman algorithm... has Jetbeam changed to non-linear, so the entire range of control is useful? If not, I'd come right out of the gate *strongly* favoring the sunwayman.

- Runtime of both lights on low? Maybe it's already in the published specs, I'll look...

koolranch

Newly Enlightened
I just saw the specs and price. The runtime on high is only 20 minutes. That's terrible. Because of that and the price I'm out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Warmlite

Newly Enlightened
The 20 min runtime on high doesn't bother me at all... I like options. I would love to be able to blast 500 lumens if need be from a sing 123 light. Then if i want longer runtimes i can just turn the light down to ~200 lumens, which is the high mode on most of my single 123 lights, and get similar (~1hr) runtimes as my other lights. Can't wait for someone to confirm some runtimes : )

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If you are in some kind of life or death situation that a flashlight will be able to get you out of, and it requires split second reactions...then you aren't in a situation.

It's a flashlight, not a firearm or knife. If you need the strobe to get somebody's attention or whatever, a second or two isn't going to make a difference, and on the off chance it does, simply turning on the flashlight and waving it will get you a similar effect.

The strobe/sos isn't going to stun an attacker or anything life-savey like that.

But discussing strobe/sos is like discussing religion/politics, those who 'believe' will never be convinced that the strobe/sos function won't save their life someday, and those who don't just want the 'believers' to keep it to themselves, lol.

It comes down to understanding why and how you'd actually use the strobe. You are correct in that its not a weapon, and incorrect in not understanding what it IS. Think of it as a particular sized wrench for a mechanic...it will not always be what is reached for for all bolts...but for SOME bolts, it is the right wrench. For the other bolts, there will be better choices.

A UI that makes something you would need to access quickly for it to be of use...take a long time and/or a complicated series of steps to use, would be akin to that wrench being meant for teeny bolt heads, but have a 6' long handle instead of a 6" long handle....you have the right size, but you can't fit the damn thing under the hood, etc.

:D

--------------------------------------------------------

Gopajti - NIce job - You do such great reviews!

koolranch

Newly Enlightened
The 20 min runtime on high doesn't bother me at all... I like options. I would love to be able to blast 500 lumens if need be from a sing 123 light. Then if i want longer runtimes i can just turn the light down to ~200 lumens, which is the high mode on most of my single 123 lights, and get similar (~1hr) runtimes as my other lights. Can't wait for someone to confirm some runtimes : )

I respect your opinion. Look at the 4sevens minix, it has a runtime of am hour on high. I'm also not convinced that the jetbeam is ANSI lumens.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I respect your opinion. Look at the 4sevens minix, it has a runtime of am hour on high. I'm also not convinced that the jetbeam is ANSI lumens.

Yes, the RRT-01 running on a rechargeable 16340 with 3.7 volts and 750 mAH, does indeed output 500 lumens OTF and 20 minutes of run time to ANSI FL-1 standards.
The reason why the 4Sevens Mini-X only outputs 210 lumens with a whopping 1 hour run time, is because it is recommended to run on disposable primary CR123's at a lesser 3.0 volts, yet a greater 1500 mAH's capacity only.
Not only does the disposable primary CR123 have a lower voltage for less power, but the internal resistance of the disposable CR123 is also higher, meaning that the disposable CR123 has a lower discharge rate, ie a lower amperage, for a lower lumen output again.
Thus the Mini-X has only 210 lumens.
However, the disposable primary CR123 does hit back with a whopping 1500 mAH capacity, for longer run time...

phoneguy

Enlightened
I may have to get one of these...I have daily carried a Jetbeam military for 4 years at work, dropped from 8-10 feet many times and has never let me down. The light has a couple of nicks in it from the drops but the coating has been amazing.

Bryan

Tain

Enlightened
The inner diameter of RRT-01's battery tube is quite big. AW 18650 cell fit just fine inside the tube.

_DSC1272.jpg

fyrstormer

Banned

How about pressing one button or something? - THAT'S easy.

Step 1) is not too too bad, but step 2) means you could easily OVERSHOOT the detent you wanted while facing a situation you thought you needed the strobe FOR...and its the WORST UI choice in this case...and step 3) might be doable as at least you might not over shoot if there's a stop there....but by the time you DO all that twisting, with both hands of course...the situation has progressed without you.

:thumbsdow
If you need a TACTICAL strobe, you're better off getting a light with a dedicated strobe button, like the Jetbeam PC25. When the light is off, press the mode-change button on the side and the strobe will turn on. When the light is on, press-and-hold the mode-change button on the side for >1s, and the strobe will come on. Can't get simpler than that.

This is a pocket light, and one that never fully shuts off too. Don't bother evaluating its usefulness in a war zone.

Latest posts