Jetbeam tcr 01 is out

Mike75

Newly Enlightened
I have no idea what will be the final price of this light, but it seems that the price is not correlated in any way to amount of titanium needed to make those, since the TCR2 was bigger and the TCR3 was a lot bigger, but the price was lower...
Not fair...

fyrstormer

Banned
I will be watching this one closely. I can see it appealing to people who might've bought a Nautilus back when they were available -- minimal size, and a whole lot more adjustability. Plus it has a pocket clip. Almost certainly inferior runtime, but that's to be expected with a circuit complex enough to offer infinitely-adjustable brightness.

EDIT: Okay, it's quite a bit larger than the Nautilus, relatively speaking, but it's almost the exact same size as the Arc6, which is still my reference point for "really small CR123 light".

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If the ring is on the tail, you want a clicky to select on/off, so you can pick the brightness/mode ahead of time....otherwise, the UI is the same inconvenience as the classic twist to lock on/off or change modes, etc.

I like a tail clicky even if its redundant, simply for convenience.

I just DON'T like having to do so many clicks for this, and so many clicks for that...its like having to learn a morse code to use the light.

:D

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be watching this one closely. I can see it appealing to people who might've bought a Nautilus back when they were available -- minimal size, and a whole lot more adjustability. Plus it has a pocket clip. Almost certainly inferior runtime, but that's to be expected with a circuit complex enough to offer infinitely-adjustable brightness.

EDIT: Okay, it's quite a bit larger than the Nautilus, relatively speaking, but it's almost the exact same size as the Arc6, which is still my reference point for "really small CR123 light".

Kinda curious as to why they ran the clip down so low, looks like it would interfere with the ring?

fyrstormer

Banned
Kinda curious as to why they ran the clip down so low, looks like it would interfere with the ring?
I suppose the pragmatic answer is: because they're using the same clip on a shorter light.

The clip might interfere with the ring, but only if it touches the ring directly. Just coming close to the ring shouldn't make a difference. On my TC-R2, the clip ends just behind the ring, and that's close enough to require me to let go of the ring in mid-twist and readjust my grip on the ring to continue turning it, which doesn't pose any real-world hardship since I can only twist the ring so far before my fingers fall off the ring anyway. On the TC-R1, the clip does reach over the ring, but I don't anticipate that having any functional difference compared to the TC-R2.

If I had to level any criticism at the design, it would be threefold:
1. The keyring attachment is not useful on a light this large, so skip it and make the light smaller.
2. Put the knurled part of the body on the sides and put the smooth part of the body under the clip.
3. Use a textured reflector.

#3 should lend itself to a McR20 retrofit. #2 is a minor irritation that probably will have no real-world impact since it's not a tactical light, and I know from carrying my TC-R2 that the knurling under the clip poses no danger to pocket stitching. #1 is also a minor irritation and I suppose it at least appeals to lanyard enthusiasts; if the keyring attachment is removable, maybe someone can make a run of screw-in titanium trit holders. :devil:

Last edited:

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
I just dont like it. I dont want to have to use the ring everytime to get to the setting I want. It would be nice to leave it on a setting and then turn it on when needed. Jetbeam...make a TCU2. I want the tcr2:D body form and function with an xml.

SENT FROM MY HTC THUNDERBOLT USING TAPATALK

fyrstormer

Banned
I agree, being able to pre-set the brightness before turning the light on, and having the control ring "remember" its position after you shut the light off, is very handy. The TC-R2 is one of my favorite lights ever.

I'm just saying this light looks like it'll do a good job of targeting a different market segment that prefers twisty interfaces.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, being able to pre-set the brightness before turning the light on, and having the control ring "remember" its position after you shut the light off, is very handy. The TC-R2 is one of my favorite lights ever.

I'm just saying this light looks like it'll do a good job of targeting a different market segment that prefers twisty interfaces.

Just because it has a ring that turns and no button doesn't make it a twisty interface. The magnetic ring on my RRT-01 is much more precise and easy to control than any twisty interface.

Personally, I hate twisty lights. I find them very difficult to control with one hand and awkward to use when you need it. And they tend to flop around and can even unscrew and fall apart. I tend to much prefer clickies for that reason. They feel like they have more control.

what makes the ring on the RRT-01 so great is that I have even more control than a clicky, with the light feeling nearly as secure in the hand as a side-switch light like the Zebralight SC80.

recDNA

Flashaholic
It's neither fish nor fowl. Either make.it small enough for key ring use or put a clicky on it for pocket carry.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's neither fish nor fowl. Either make.it small enough for key ring use or put a clicky on it for pocket carry.

Personally, I think it's fine as-is. In my opinion, this is a much better light than the Sunwayman V10R for pocket EDC (I carry my light loose in my pocket). I'm glad it doesn't have a tailcap button.

scout24

Flashaholic
This, and the "regular" RRT-01 are approaching my personal ideal in an EDC light. As long as I've been here, I wanted a Titan or T1A with a bunch more up top, and a pocketclip. Love the twisty UI, the on/off detents, and a big honkin' bunch of light up high, with a lower low than my beloved SF's. And a pocket clip! Runtime and thermal management are at user discretion, I don't mind charging batteries. Or heaven forbid, run a primary at 200lm and have your runtime! If I need more runtime, I'll carry it. If I need a thrower, I'll carry it. I can comfortably swing from off to max in one motion with fairly small hands, and the RRT-01 is the same length as a T1A, I got to stand them side-by-side last week. A Keeper, and a win for Jetbeam in my book. YMMV... :thumbsup:.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light will retail for at least $180, but this price will not include shipping yet.

Also, FYI, the lights will be numbered from 0001/1000 to 1000/1000. :)

Will be available to distributors soon.

Is this light worth it? :)
tcr1en3.jpg

tcr1en1.jpg

fyrstormer

Banned
Just because it has a ring that turns and no button doesn't make it a twisty interface. The magnetic ring on my RRT-01 is much more precise and easy to control than any twisty interface.
There are two kinds of twisty interfaces -- progressive-twist and multi-twist. Multi-twist is the kind cheap lights use where the user has to twist the light on and off repeatedly to change modes -- essentially a multi-click UI retrofitted to a twisty light to save space and cut cost. Progressive-twist is what the Muyshondt Aeon, McGizmo PD, Arc6, and Surefire T1 lights use, where the light gets progressively brighter as the user twists the head.

The RRT-01/TC-R1 may use an electronic sensor to adjust the brightness, instead of a pressure-sensitive mechanism like the other lights I listed, but it's still a progressive-twist interface -- it starts in the "off" position and gets brighter the more you twist the ring.

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
This, and the "regular" RRT-01 are approaching my personal ideal in an EDC light.

I agree completely. As much as I understand the value of having a clicky+rotary control, the simplicity of the T1A makes the UI far superior to the other variable options for me (not that the others I've tried are bad, just not as straightforward). I think a variable light is best for applications that tend toward the lows end of the ring anyway, so starting at low makes complete sense to me.

This is the first and only Jetbeam that appeals to me. I'm still a little nervous about them, having read plenty of complaints from people that were disappointed by broken or faulty lights that their QA department missed. I really hope they've sorted out their issues.

fabienne

Enlightened
I agree regarding the simplicity of T1A UI. The thing about super-low flashlight because we seek the lowest output so as not to disturb others either in dark places or in bedroom and we tend to use the lowest as the first choice.

I agree completely. As much as I understand the value of having a clicky+rotary control, the simplicity of the T1A makes the UI far superior to the other variable options for me (not that the others I've tried are bad, just not as straightforward). I think a variable light is best for applications that tend toward the lows end of the ring anyway, so starting at low makes complete sense to me.

This is the first and only Jetbeam that appeals to me. I'm still a little nervous about them, having read plenty of complaints from people that were disappointed by broken or faulty lights that their QA department missed. I really hope they've sorted out their issues.

aau007

Enlightened
Wah!!! Glad I held off on the SWM Ti+. I might even consider selling my SWM Ti2 to get this.