Just bought a used Surefire C3 Centurion

ReadyFreddy23

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a digital camera or a scanner yet to post pics. The holster is nylon and the light is secured in the holster below the rubber guard with velcro straps.

Illum

Flashaholic
Once your flashlight collection reaches critical mass (the amount of flashlights you need for other people to lose count) you won't have to worry about concealing the collection. "No, really, I didn't just buy another! I've had that one awhile!"

hey I use that excuse all the time!

1:is that another light?
me:yes
1:you bought ANOTHER ONE?!
me: no, its been at the bottom of the flashlight shelf, I just don't carry it very often

DM51

Flashaholic
Once your flashlight collection reaches critical mass (the amount of flashlights you need for other people to lose count) you won't have to worry about concealing the collection. "No, really, I didn't just buy another! I've had that one awhile!"
You guys are deluding yourselves if you think this lame excuse is going to work on any wife other than a brand new one who hasn't learned the ropes yet. Experienced wives just cannot be beaten at this game.

Every time they put on a new dress, or pair of shoes, or whatever, they always have the perfect killer comment to use on you if they think you are hinting that they have enough clothes already and that this new outfit must have cost more than just a few $$.

Scenario #1 - you notice the new dress, and make a remark about it (maybe even a complimentary one). Wife's immediate reply: "It isn't new. I bought it 6 months ago. You've just never noticed it before. You never notice me any more... etc etc."

Scenario #2 - you remember the last time when you tried scenario #1, so you pretend not to notice the new dress. Wife, after deadly accusatory silence: "You haven't even noticed... etc etc"

It's brilliant, if you think about it. You've had it, whatever you do. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can outsmart a savvy wife on this sort of territory.

carrot

Flashaholic
But to the untrained eye, every knife (or light) looks the same, unless it's greatly different in size or color. I suppose that's the same with dresses, but I wouldn't know. :shrug:

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
carrot,

I like the critical mass idea.:thumbsup: I've never thought about it that way. :naughty:It's like that with my pens, watches, and sunglasses already. My wife doesn't even ask if any of those things are new anymore.

It must be like that in every relationship. I'll admit it.

mdocod

Flashaholic
my only concern is as follows:

generally speaking, someone who owns a C3, isn't the type who is strapped for cash to begin with, and if they payed good money for it originally, they'd probably be hard pressed to let it go for just $25. So my gut tells me that the light was either stolen or "found" by the person at the pawn shop. He may have looked it up online and figured he could make a quick buck on it in town. Anytime a SF or other super quality item is sold for a price that is a fraction of what it's worth, is a pretty strong indication that the seller did not pay for it originally, likely ended up in the sellers possession through less than honest means.

swampgator

Enlightened
I just moved to Florida from Massachusetts. I've noticed that there are alot of Pawn Shops and I never saw them in Massachusetts.

Yes, we're blessed with many of them. My dad spends so much time at the local shop, I've taken to accusing the owner of stealing my inheritence.

Given the price of the other items you bought from him, I'm leaning with the 'acquired from other means' theory. But the local shops submit their pawn tickets to the local LE agencies. The PD that I used to work for would enter the serials into our computer system. Then if anyone ever reported that item stolen when its serial was entered, it would pull up the pawn ticket.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I just moved to Florida from Massachusetts. I've noticed that there are alot of Pawn Shops and I never saw them in Massachusetts. I was curious to see what treasures or trash I would see. I was just about to leave because I didn't find any treasures when I saw a guy walk in and he was holding a Surefire C3 Centurion in a nice holster. He asked the guy behind the counter if they would give him $50 bucks for it. Unfortunately, for him he didn't have any batteries in the light and the guy at the counter said he didn't want to buy it. The guy selling the flashlight said "What can you give me for it?" The guy behind the counter wouldn't offer the guy any money because he said nobody will pay that much for a flashlight. I caught the guy selling the flashlight at the door and told him that I have 123A lithium batteries in my car and that if it worked that I might buy it. It worked and sensing the guy was desperate, I offered him $25 for it. He took it. :twothumbs I am now the proud owner of my 2nd real flashlight. My first was the Surefire E2D (paid $90 for that one). I'm glad I had my E2D and spare batteries with me in the car.

Since he was asking $50 to begin with, I doubt the light was stolen. (Thieves do love pawn shops though).

Still, you could sense he was desperate.... so you offered him only $25 for it? Nice going. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, you'll never be in a desperate enough situation to sell off one of your expensive lights. A bargain is one thing, and $50 for a used C3 in working order is definitely just that; a bargain.

Last edited:

ReadyFreddy23

Newly Enlightened
I know you can't judge a book by its cover but this guy looked and sounded legit. He knew it was a $100+ light. He said he used it while he was a bouncer but wasn't bouncing anymore. He said he was scrambling to move to Virginia and couldn't afford to take everything and was trying to get some cash together. I hope he was legit.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are deluding yourselves if you think this lame excuse is going to work on any wife other than a brand new one who hasn't learned the ropes yet. Experienced wives just cannot be beaten at this game...

No truer words have been written. Everytime I think I'm being slick the wife blindsides me with "I know thats a new flashlight!" I know its coming but it catches me off guard everytime.