Just had a blackout!

Learjet

Enlightened
I had all the fun I could stand when the power finally came back on, and the air conditioning roared into action. Thanks, I'll pass on power outages whenever possible.

Yeah same here in summer. It's a sauna even at night and when the power goes off I miss the A/C the most. It's "winter" here at present so it's not so bad.

It seems this blackout was quite wide spread and affected 9 suburbs. My friend's kids were having fun as well with their wind up LED torches and radios.

Well at least the kids and flashaholics had fun. More often than not though the adults would not have been happy since it happened in the middle of tea time.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I never get a damn blackout...

Stupid reliable power company:D

I'm lucky! Up here in NY, we've got Con Edison. Biggest Blackout in NY history was in 1977.... until 2003 rolled around. Just heard on the news a few weeks ago that Con Ed is just now coming up with a back-up system in case of another Blackout.

It's a shame to see them finally doing something to put an end to every Flashaholic's dream who happens to be living in NY. What's better than being in a Blackout for several days? Why, it's being in one in the middle of Summer with no A.C. and plenty of rotting food in the fridge! ..... I'm going to miss the good old days when Con Ed gave us excuses instead of power. :whistle:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most "blackouts" around here sadly happen during the day, which just means I can't visit CPF. Haven't had a candle lit dinner for a while...

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Seems like there might be a consensus here that maybe the power company could schedule blackouts for flashaholics on a regular basis as long as it's not very hot and muggy or freezing and not for more than 30 minutes so the food in the fridge doesn't spoil. Then we could get all our toys out and compare. :twothumbs

BGater

Enlightened
Im on a farm way...WAY out there. Our local electric provider has alot of old power lines that need updated badly. We have an outage every time a good thunderstorm or high winds come through. I would say we average 8-10 outages a year lasting 6 hours or more, and many more that are only a few hours at most. The last big one was in December 2006, we was out for 6 days straight, came on for about 12 hours then off for another 24 hours. We have flashlights in every room and every vehicle, just a way of life out here.

Learjet

Enlightened
Sounds like you would benefit from a generator / solar power as backup being so far out there BGater. I guess you have that already.

The power isn't too bad here, goes off once every couple of months I guess. Living in cyclone territory I always have the big blow in mind. If we get hit the power is likely to be off for a while. I think I have enough lights to see me through now. :)

Must get some other stuff together like a 12V fridge, inverters and a good solar panel.

The Hobbit

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, we are a strange bunch to wish for a blackout...The great blackout of 2003 started here in Ohio and spread east...It was only out here for a half hour or so...it wasn't even dark yet...rats.....I do like it when the power goes out, not just because of the flahlight thing, but the 'hood gets REAL quiet...Everybody elce is upset when the juice is off, I'm bummed when it comes back on...:candle:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah, we are a strange bunch to wish for a blackout...The great blackout of 2003 started here in Ohio and spread east...It was only out here for a half hour or so...it wasn't even dark yet...rats....

Ha! I was far luckier than you. Not only was the power out for a few days, but I was upstate visiting my friend for the weekend when the power went out. I was also lucky to have been unemployed at the time. (Otherwise, I would have gotten fired for missing work). Yeah! My luck is freaking awesome!!:party:

Unfortunately, I only became addicted to flashlights just recently. I think me, my best friend, and his roomate, and his roomate's girlfriend had one 2D cheap light between us. :(

BGater

Enlightened
LearJet: Have several generators, Also have a battery backup sump pump and a dc/ac converter I can clip onto my pickup or tractor and run some things. Spend most of my time running to neighbors during long outages to pump out a basement or charge up a frige or freezer. Amazing how many people around here dont have a decent torch, or even a single one at all, for as often as the electric is out. :shakehead