Kai Domain - Mysterious cheap light...

Mash

Enlightened
Can we consolidate the multiple threads on this light into one pls? Its getting confusing trying to keep up with all the threads!

Vermonter73

Enlightened
Judging by the output graph, it's simply stepped-up, not regulated.

Slowly dimming flashlights are so 20th century.

CheviotMike

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone bought this flashlight from Kai using the Mozilla Firefox 2 browser? I have been trying unsuccessfully to purchase it using Firefox. However, when I switched to MS Internet Explorer it seemed to work OK. I know that occasionally Firefox does not function normally on a website and wonder if this is the case here. For instance, if I add music to one of my WebPages using MS FrontPage it will only play when using the Internet Explorer browser.
See:
http://mstecker.com/pages/australia_wmatilda.htm

CheviotMike

riffraff

Enlightened
CheviotMike said:
...For instance, if I add music to one of my WebPages using MS FrontPage it will only play when using the Internet Explorer browser.
See:
http://mstecker.com/pages/australia_wmatilda.htm

CheviotMike
Hi. Yeah, that's because BGSOUND isn't defined by W3C, the people in charge of web standards. It's an MSIE element, and only IE will play it. (Although Mosaic did, too, for a while.)

The OBJECT element is much preferred in web design, and is better supported by more browsers.

Besides, web pages that make noise without the explicite demand of the user (i.e., clicking on a link) are annoying and generally considered bad form.

paulr

Flashaholic
Hmm I'm using Firefox and had a bunch of trouble in several attempts. Came to this thread to post about it, saw the previous posts, tried again and it worked this time even though I didn't do anything different.

Vermonter73

Enlightened
paulr said:
Hmm I'm using Firefox and had a bunch of trouble in several attempts. Came to this thread to post about it, saw the previous posts, tried again and it worked this time even though I didn't do anything different.

Kai's been upgrading his website. Perhaps he fixed the problem.

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
ELITE Flashlight SKU#1341 Expected Shipment Delay

Dear Kaidomain customers, who purchased ELITE Flashlight, SKU#3141:

We received the wrong flashlight body color from the manufacturer (black instead of silver). As a result, it may take a couple more days for the flashlight shipment. Expected shipping date: 3/27/2007. I apologize for the delay. We only ship what you order, no excuse.

Kai
3/21/2007

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
The Dealextremem version of the 9.99 Cree just shipped for me. Ordered on march 12th. Been at the stage of "Ready to package, your next notice will be a shipping notice" since the 15th. Now it says shipped via airmail as of the 21st. 4 to 7 business days by Air Mail

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today finally...it's definitely no Surefire, but then you can't expect much for the price. It's fairly bright, has a pretty smooth beam despite the smooth reflector...fit and finish has a little to be desired, but for the price...it's not a bad deal.

The question I have is...would it be possible to transplant the CREE "star" emitter from this light...to this light https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/159227 ?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/159227

I have the 3C version, and it looks like a simple transplant to me, but I don't know if the 3C would :poof: the CREE...anyone care to guess? :confused:

gorn

Enlightened
I ordered 3 of these from kai. It's been well over a month and they still haven't shipped to me. I think this will be my first and last order from him.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one of these lights about a month ago, and forgot about it until I found it in my mail box yesterday! For a single AA light, it's VERY bright! The main drawback is that the beam has a LOT of atrifacts due to the smooth reflector, and it's very hard to get the emitter centered in the reflector. Once I got it centered, it wasn't too bad...but this thing SCREAMS for an LOP reflector. With the smooth reflector, and using a lithium AA cell, the hotspot on this thing is brighter than my AmiLite T5, and that's no BS! The AmiLite has noticeably brighter spill, and the brighter hotspot of the Kai light is obviously a product of the larger, smooth reflector. But for one AA cell, like I said, the output is QUITE impressive. The outside has a very nice, smooth finish, but the threads have the burrs and somewhat loose fit that you might expect for a $11.00 light. The threads of the tail cap are a more snug fit than the threads of the bezel, but a little teflon tape fixed the bezel threads right up. I said that this thing screams for an OP reflector, so that's just what I did! I took the reflector out of my AmiLite T5, and put it in the Kai light! The bezel is a little too wide for the AmiLite's reflector, but the Kai light uses a screw-in retaining ring for the reflector like the Liteflux LF1, so an undersized reflector is no problem...it gets held in place quite nicely. I put an IMS20 reflector in my AmiLite, and now it has some pretty awesome throw! With the AmiLite reflector in the Kai light, the output is VERY smooth, and again, VERY impressive for a 1XAA cell light. With the AmiLite reflector, the hotspot of my particular Kai light is BRIGHTER than the hotspot of my JetBeam C-LE on high using a 14500 LIon cell! The Jet beam has brighter spill, but the larger reflector from the AmiLite does an EXCELLENT job of focusing the Kai light's photons!

For $11.00 shipped, this is a VERY nice light! The switch was acting a little finnicky when I first got it, but after cleaning up the threads a little, it hasn't given me any problems. The only other thing I did was to put a beefier O-ring beneath the threads of the bezel. The one the light came with was too thin, and offered virtually no resistance when the bottom of the light's head went over it. With the addition of the AmiLite reflector, the teflon tape on the threads, and a fatter O-ring, I turned a GOOD $11.00 light into an EXCELLENT $11.00 light! I'm very pleased with the results!

PJD

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJD said:
I ordered one of these lights about a month ago, and forgot about it until I found it in my mail box yesterday! For a single AA light, it's VERY bright! The main drawback is that the beam has a LOT of atrifacts due to the smooth reflector, and it's very hard to get the emitter centered in the reflector. Once I got it centered, it wasn't too bad...but this thing SCREAMS for an LOP reflector. With the smooth reflector, and using a lithium AA cell, the hotspot on this thing is brighter than my AmiLite T5, and that's no BS! The AmiLite has noticeably brighter spill, and the brighter hotspot of the Kai light is obviously a product of the larger, smooth reflector. But for one AA cell, like I said, the output is QUITE impressive. The outside has a very nice, smooth finish, but the threads have the burrs and somewhat loose fit that you might expect for a $11.00 light. The threads of the tail cap are a more snug fit than the threads of the bezel, but a little teflon tape fixed the bezel threads right up. I said that this thing screams for an OP reflector, so that's just what I did! I took the reflector out of my AmiLite T5, and put it in the Kai light! The bezel is a little too wide for the AmiLite's reflector, but the Kai light uses a screw-in retaining ring for the reflector like the Liteflux LF1, so an undersized reflector is no problem...it gets held in place quite nicely. I put an IMS20 reflector in my AmiLite, and now it has some pretty awesome throw! With the AmiLite reflector in the Kai light, the output is VERY smooth, and again, VERY impressive for a 1XAA cell light. With the AmiLite reflector, the hotspot of my particular Kai light is BRIGHTER than the hotspot of my JetBeam C-LE on high using a 14500 LIon cell! The Jet beam has brighter spill, but the larger reflector from the AmiLite does an EXCELLENT job of focusing the Kai light's photons!

For $11.00 shipped, this is a VERY nice light! The switch was acting a little finnicky when I first got it, but after cleaning up the threads a little, it hasn't given me any problems. The only other thing I did was to put a beefier O-ring beneath the threads of the bezel. The one the light came with was too thin, and offered virtually no resistance when the bottom of the light's head went over it. With the addition of the AmiLite reflector, the teflon tape on the threads, and a fatter O-ring, I turned a GOOD $11.00 light into an EXCELLENT $11.00 light! I'm very pleased with the results!

PJD

Nice mini review. I haven't actually ordered one yet. They are very tempting at 10USD, but I'm a bit concerned about the flickering and machining, maybe not a good gift light after all. You review tempts me to buy one anyway, but I think I´ll put another 10 for a Ultrafire C3 instead.