Kai Domain - Mysterious cheap light...

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured my Cree'd Elly at around 60 lumens, slightly different from kai's new version (53 lumens).

My Elly original lumens are the same as kai's (20 lumens).

I used 2,000mah nimh, kai used 2,700mah nimh.

I achieved flatter, longer RT. Virtually flat for 90 mins, then dipping.

Not the gradual decline shown in Kai's graph.

Perhaps there is an electronics, or Cree difference.

I found my Cree mod using DX parts gave a brighter, longer, more consistent output.

That makes me feel better about having spent a little more (+£2.50) and doing the mod myself.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/153283

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
xiaowenzu said:
That looks like a FAKE cree, because it's only 53 lumens if that's to believed. The cost of purchasing a real cree emitter from 'Cree Inc US.' costs much more than the light. :laughing:
I wouldn't say their Cree LEDs are faked -- every one I've bought from DX and dropped into a Lumileds light has apparently doubled the output at the same current -- if that's a fake, the counterfeiter is doing a fine job. Their lumen ratings seem to be lowball/conservative based on how they rate flashlights that I actually own. I'm not sure how accurate they are either -- they seem to be extrapolated by multipying Luxmeter readings by a constant based on what I've read, from a "shoebox bounce" test. It seems like that method may not be accurate for compare lumens between flashlights if they have different beam patterns.

If you read through that huge Elly thread, you'll find there's also a lot of variance just between one light and another for output. I ordered three and one was significantly dimmer than the others, for example (not any less efficient, it just drew less current). Also, since this is simple boost circuit and not current regulated the forward voltage of the LEDs and batteries used will make a big difference as well. Any one of those things could explain the lower than expected lumen rating. Either way though, it's nice to see a company be honest about posting their real results, even if it doesn't make their product look better.

Another possibility is that the particular batteries that Kai used were overrated/underperforming -- that would explain both the lower lumens and shorter runtime.

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
2xTrinity said:
I wouldn't say their Cree LEDs are faked -- every one I've bought from DX and dropped into a Lumileds light has apparently doubled the output at the same current -- if that's a fake, the counterfeiter is doing a fine job.

That's good to hear from someone who's had first hand experience. My initial reaction is usually one of skeptism.. I think it's a consumer reflex thing I've developed to protect myself (and wallet) over the years. :laughing: So this light is pretty cheap.. I assume the profit margin (if any) would be quite low, unless it's using a low quality bin Cree.

CheviotMike

Newly Enlightened
Is this Kai Domain $10 Cree flashlight available? When I try to buy it I get this message:
"This transaction is invalid. Please return to the recipient's website to complete your transaction using their regular checkout flow."

CheviotMike
http://mstecker.com

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
CheviotMike said:
Is this Kai Domain $10 Cree flashlight available? When I try to buy it I get this message:
"This transaction is invalid. Please return to the recipient's website to complete your transaction using their regular checkout flow."

CheviotMike

I had the same problem deleted my cookies and then restarted my browser and all was good :)

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought ten Ellys from DX, different shipments, and apart from slight tint variations, found they all gave approx the same output, before modding.

CheviotMike

Newly Enlightened
I removed the Kai cookie from my Firefox 2 browser and restarted it. I still can not buy the $10 flashlight and get the message:

Has this item been removed from the website? Why am I unable to buy it?

CheviotMike

CheviotMike

Newly Enlightened
TOOCOOL said:
Yep I get the same thing now :ohgeez:how about buying this one LINK
seems to be the same light
Hi Toocool:
Thanks for your help. Your link to the $10 DealExtreme Cree LED flashlight may be a different model. It says it is made from steel and not aluminum and there is no mention that it can be focused -- a feature that sold me on the original Kai flashlight.

Perhaps Kai is sold out or his website is mal-functioning. I emailed him, but so far have not received a response.

CheviotMike

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note Kai quoted shipping date: 20th March.

DX: In stock now

PS: It's not mysterious anymore !!

Last edited:

X_Marine

Enlightened
CheviotMike said:
I removed the Kai cookie from my Firefox 2 browser and restarted it. I still can not buy the $10 flashlight and get the message:

Has this item been removed from the website? Why am I unable to buy it?

CheviotMike
I had the same props yesterday and now tonight..
They have already lost a cpl hundred from me, I can only imagine how it must be effecting his biz..

Think I'll just call it in tomorrow..

Oh ya, when your order is ready and before checking out, do an Alt + PrntScrn and that will put the page on your clipboard so if it fails you can paste it in something and print for the SKU #'s etc..

The site does ok other that let you buy.. lol
Think I'll try one more time from notebook in bedroom from clean start, but they got a prob for sure.

Good luck guys.
X

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
You *have* to enter your paypal email address on the kaidomain checkout page (and also make sure you are logged in before putting the item in the cart).

I just purchased it using the above method.

I ordered one from each site. DX claims it has Al reflector whereas KD says it is plastic with glass lense. All in all, both flashlight look identical.

- Vikas

Last edited:

CheviotMike

Newly Enlightened
Hello Vikas:
How does one login to Kai's website? I can not find it on his Home Page nor on the page for buying the flashlight. At checkout I typed the email I use for PayPal and it still does not work. The checkout also says to type in your email only if it is differnt from the one you use for PayPal.

Regarding purchase, this is by far the worst website I have seen. Also, Kai does not answer my emails.

CheviotMike

HarveyRich

Enlightened
I had no problems ordering a couple from Kai around 11 PM (PST) last night. In fact, the new price is $9.49/flashlight and it still comes with a glass lens, according to the site. Isn't Capitalism great, or what? Maybe the Hong Kong purveyors have invented a new version, where they pay you several dollars to take their product.

It reminds me of the old saying: we lose money on each sale, but we make it up on volume.

CheviotMike

Newly Enlightened
I am still unable to purchase the flashlight from Kai, so ordered a similar one from DealExtreme with no problem. Kai is the only dealer I have this problem with, so will not be ordering from him anymore.

CheviotMike