$$$ keeping you away from what light?

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me I'm stating the obvious here but $$$ keeps me from the light in 'The Nightsword Project' thread. I believe this HAND HELD beast is 7 lux at 5 miles. Dude don't even know what to sell it for yet parts alone cost him $3,500 so far.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Some of the higher end Surefires; Prometheus, Elzetta, HDS, Malkoff, JIL Lite (S. Korea's Surefire?), Polarion Helios, Lumencraft's Gatlight, and LUX RC. Currently, my max out of pocket is $100 USD. I recently got a SF Fury for $109.98 delivered, but $100 was birthday money, so less than $10 out of pocket wasn't too shabby...

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I'm not a HID expert, but if you ever get a chance to see one of these in person, I'd highly recommend it. I have the FF3 (40W) and simply cannot believe the quality and quantity of photons this thing throws out there :eek:oo:

The FF4 should be released next month ... same price, but high/low switching & 60 Watts :eek:

Here's a link comparing FF3 to the ($2000+) PH40 -

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...xes-FF3-vs-Polarion-PH40-Beamshots-comparison

I guess my feeling is that HIDs in general are quite pricey. I picked up a Magic Fire Scorpion for a very good price on the Marketplace and I think it is terrific. It has definitely dampened my interest in traditional incans and I suspect that I will eventually succumb to my desire for an FF3/4.

I'm currently doing a very good job at rationalizing buying a Spy 007... Actually, I'm rationalizing buying two... one on the MP to make sure I like it, then another direct from Cool Fall with the SWGG option. I figure that I can recoup a bit from the first one, right...

nargalzius

Newly Enlightened
I'd say I'm willing to spend up to $500 before REALLY backing off. But anything above $300 will get me to be extra cautious before pulling the trigger.

The only exception would be the Cool Fall Tri-V. I would definitely spend on it in a heartbeat it if I had the spare cash to begin with (no second thoughts) - which I obviously don't ;)

Last edited:

Mikeg23

Enlightened
None of the lights that I really want are out of my price range... The problem is I want too many! So I have to limit myself.

I don't think much about $100 host and $60 dropins or even a complete light that is $100-150.

I did have a hard time when I bought a $50 elzetta tailcap putting one of my current EDCs over $200.

I would kind of like a Overready black C2 but so far I haven't seen it offered with the "imperfections" option.

Risky

Newly Enlightened
My gf is letting me purchase a complete Oveready light but it's been sitting in my basket for days now because now I don't know if I can justify spending 300 on one light and also if I did I would feel guilty.

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
I'm happy to spend the money providing I get a good quality light

I have spent a couple of hundred on a oveready 9P, or nearly a grand on a 2nd hand Maxabeam (although I would spend full price, they are that good)

In fact, I would rather spend more, on a higher quality, dimmer light than spend less on a cheaper, briger light that might fail me.

As a practical example
I own a Muyshondt Aeon - go look it up.
if you look at the price, then at the output - it doesn't make sense.
if you get one, and use it, you find that the max output is useful, while allowing a good runtime, and the low level is a nice output for close up tasks, with a ridiculous runtime.
the fact it is heirloom quality, with an amazingly machined body, sapphire lens, and feels like a small jewel, that only gets better as it is carried and used make it worth the money
Its also made in the USA, by someone who really cares about the product he is producing.
those who own them just get it, and they rave about them.

I'm absolutely with you on the Aeon, Echo. Best lighting investment I've ever made. (Although a couple Ra/HDS lights come close.)

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
I'll never need one but FourSevens XM18...

Just so when someone pulls out a maglight....BOOM! Maxabeam dose nothing for me I'd rather have a 2-3Watt laser....

I'm poor and a newb so currently no more than about £75 but I do think one day I'll crumble and buy a super flooder like a TK75/MarderX6 ect something along those lines....just so I can watch some person walking there dog across the field with a cheap flashlight and then just light up the field and make them go WTH!

Last edited:

Disciple

Enlightened
At what $ do you start second guessing yourself and back away from a purchase?

What light do you now want, but just keep talking yourself out of?

I don't think I have a fixed number. It depends on what I think I'm getting. I jumped on a K40vn when it came up on CPFM for $128 and I thought I had already missed out. It's the most I've spent on a light in years, and the second most ever. I hesitated much less than I have on some less expensive lights. Part of the reason is that I feel the light is likely to hold its value for a while so I'm not going to lose much if I resell it. My "impulse buy" range is under $40.

There are a lot of lights I'd like to have that are pure fantasy. The first "flashlight" I really wanted a Maxabeam after seeing one on The X-Files, but once I found out what it was and what it cost I knew that couldn't happen. :mecry: Just yesterday I found pictures of some amazing tritium-accessorized titanium lights I'd love to own but they fall into the same category.
pgbpkqe.png
And then there is the Nightsword project. :bow:

More practically I'd like to have the new EagleTac MX25L3C Nichia 219 version, but it's too expensive and a bit too large as well. If there were a similar light with half the LEDs, half the weight, and half the price, I'd be all over it.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I am a huge Surefire fan. However, at the prices they charge, I can only justify buying one if it meets a significant need that is not currently being met. It is not so much a $ limit as it is prioritization of finite resources.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
A McGimzo is kinda hard for me to swallow, but I'm OK with paying up for quality otherwise. Main reason I don't have more top quality lights is that, up until very recently, they have refused to address the 1xAA or 14500 market. Malkoff has earned my $$ though.

T45

Enlightened
I agree. If I ever have that kind of discretionary funds, ie fun money, I would get one. Generally, $100 is my limit and $40 for the occasional impulse buy. I have a long term plan to get An Oveready Tank Light someday.

ven

Flashaholic
Good question,limit is more common sense than money as investing in a £2000 light is not a good one for me.I personally would prefer 5-10 decent lights off decent manufacturers and obv helps spread the cost.This in turn helps me justify my spends as most on here will have way more than they need anyway.In the last month i have probably spent the equivalent of $560,not something i want to do monthly.....I would love a hellfighter(best i can find is $3000) and to me not justifiable in any way even if i had that to spend on a light.There are plenty of sub $150 lights that are very good,so i would prefer a few of different brands:D.Most expensive light is a tm15,cant see me spending much more than that being honest.But if one comes up and to me worth it then i would.Flashlights i love dont get me wrong,but not at the top of my hobby/priority list :shrug: I do find that research,importing allows me to buy flashlight i would normally not consider especially living in ROB(rip off Britain).In short what you pay in states double it,then ask would you buy the light for twice the price...........(i know there are some worth it by all means):D