Klarus XT2C XPL-HI Flashes

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
Hey CelticCross74,

I suddenly got a reply from Klarus saying that the flash is not a quality issue but is an indication that a battery is inserted.

The dealer I got the light from said that Klarus told him that it was a "function" to inform users that a battery is inserted.

Why would anyone need a flash as an indication that a battery is inserted?

What got me thinking even more was that they asked all my details and said that a replacement tail cap was going to be sent then suddenly changed their minds and told me that it was an included function after checking with their engineer.

I asked why the function was not documented in the user manual but it seems that remark has been casually omitted in their replies.

My other Klarus lights do not come with the "flash" function so maybe I should count myself lucky.

Last edited:

Kombatt

Newly Enlightened
Both my Zebralights (h52fw and sc62w) do the same flash when a battery is inserted. Both with electronic switch.

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Kombatt for the information.

Unfortunately, I do not own any Zebralights.

Are the flashes documented in the user manual?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yuck. This is why I dont buy Klarus. If you get a reply from their CS at all its shady stuff like this. They should have sent you the new tail cap. Is there a retaining ring in the tail cap? If there is check its tightness. If it were me I would take the tail cap totally apart and look for any defects then carefully put it back together making sure everything is correct.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit I'm still struggling with why this is a problem. Is it causing the light to malfunction in some way? Given that many lights do this -- My Novatac w/ electronic switch definitely does, for example, and I have at least 2 or 3 others that do this also -- why would we think this is a problem in the absence of any malfunction or misbehavior by the light?

BTW, got a reply back from Klarus ... the specs on the XPL HI version are correct, but they hinted at an upgrade in a few months that may address this

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a problem because it signals a short or bad connection somewhere in the light. None of my lights do this or have done this and Ive got them all from Mag to Fenix to ZL etc...OP take apart the switch and clean it. DeOxit D100 would be best but rubbing alcohol and a Q tip will work as well.

Kombatt

Newly Enlightened
No, the flashes are not described in the manuals. I don't see how this could be a feature, other than perhaps to let the user know that the battery was inserted properly.

I think it is the electronics that is powered up and with a short delay of then wakes up to set the flashlight to stand-by.

This can be seen in Youtube videos, I just wanted to point out that I think this i a common design choice for flashlights with electronic switch, and not a quality issue with this sample from Klarus.

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
Its a problem because it signals a short or bad connection somewhere in the light. None of my lights do this or have done this and Ive got them all from Mag to Fenix to ZL etc...OP take apart the switch and clean it. DeOxit D100 would be best but rubbing alcohol and a Q tip will work as well.

Retaining ring is nice and tight.
I have cleaned and lubed the threads but taking apart the switch is a bit tricky.
It is sort of a forward clicky with an electronic switch combo on the paddle switch.
To completely take it apart, it looks like I would have to desolder some connection.
Do not want to do this cause you know it gives the manufacturer an excuse that I busted it instead.

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
I have lights with electronic switches.

From the Klarus stable, G30 and XT11S.

XT11S being the most similiar in design to the XT2C has no flash.

I have other lights from other manufacturers who use electronic switches and all do not flash.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP did you buy the light from an online retailer? If you did return it or exchange it. The light is defective.

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
CelticCross74, I got my light from a local dealer (I am not in US).

He says Klarus has informed him that the flash is normal.

I have no way of returning it as it has been over a month trying to find answers to the issue.

To make matters worse, I have just been informed that he is no longer a Klarus dealer because Klarus has appointed another person the distributorship.

Now I will have to lookup the "new" dealer if I want to "claim" warranty on the flashlight.

So much for buying local and getting warranty and support.

Should have just gotten it off BG or GB had I known.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OUCH! This is why I have never even considered getting a Klarus. During all my years as a member here and the years I lurked before there has always been a bad Klarus thread. Basic stuff either no response from customer service or the response is a BS runaround like you got. Here in the states another Klarus dealer would not do anything for you as you did not but the light from them. I dont know where you are but hopefully there are some consumer protection laws that will help you. Maybe Klarus dealers where you are do take warranty work on lights bought from former Klarus dealers....

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
I bought the XT2C because I was eyeing that model way back when it was still the XML model.

If you recall, there was a bad batch of Klarus G30 where lights would just fail within minutes of using them.

I got one of those G30 from GB and the return and warranty terms was not great.

Klarus actually helped sort out that issue and sent a replacement to the previous dealer above where I got my XT2C so I can make the exchange locally.

That was quite a pleasant surprise for me and I put it down to them improving on customer service.

Next time, I will be more mindful when I make another purchase.