Kodak is out of the camera business

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Kodak is giving up naming rights to the building currently known as the Kodak Theater (where the Oscars were held last Sunday) due to the bankruptcy. They were told to play down the Kodak name during the ceremonies. I'm surprised the Kodak signage was still prominent during the show.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
That they were still paying for that venue as they headed toward bankruptcy, is sign enough that the guys in charge weren't paying attention.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Eastman Kodak just announced it has ceased production of Ektachrome film.

They no longer produce ANY color slide film.

Certainly is the END of an Era.

BTW . . . .

40 years ago today (3/3/1972), I bought my first "REAL" camera, a Canon TL 35mm SLR.

Can honestly say that Photography has Changed my Life !

:)

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least some of the Ektachrome is being discontinued (might be all but I know of three types being cut off). They claim they have backstock for about 6 months worth of sales.

On another note their workforce is now down to only a bit more than 5,100 in their hometown.

They've also cut health benefits for retirees who are eligible for medicare. For those who did not know this was a company that promised workers for many decades (and delivered on that promise up until now) that they and their dependants would have health benefits for life.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
At least some of the Ektachrome is being discontinued (might be all but I know of three types being cut off). They claim they have backstock for about 6 months worth of sales.

On another note their workforce is now down to only a bit more than 5,100 in their hometown.

They've also cut health benefits for retirees who are eligible for medicare. For those who did not know this was a company that promised workers for many decades (and delivered on that promise up until now) that they and their dependents would have health benefits for life.

I'm sure the company would have kept those promises if it could. They have in the past. Business must be down to a terrible degree if they aren't keeping those promises. It's just a reality of Life. A lifetime warranty is worthless if the company that offered it goes out of business.

Imagine being the guy who bought a brand new PentagonLight L3 model the day before the company decided to close up shop because they couldn't afford to fight the civil suit that SureFire brought against them. So much for even a standard warranty of a couple of years. Promises are only good for as long folks (and companies) are around to keep them.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was at one of the big box stores today looking at cameras. I ran across several bright, crisp interactive displays for Sony and other products. These displays were intriguing enough to get me to stop and have a closer look at their products.

Then I saw a Kodak interactive display for something or other. The display was noticeably smaller, dimmer and crappier looking than the competing products. The Kodak display, compared to the others, was screaming "old and behind the times." They're still not getting it. C'mon, guys.